C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Player not recognizing MP3 CD..

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:54 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by alevy
Hey! I resemble that remark

Im the Chief Architect for AOL (No jokes please)... so i am a tech geek. Ive already found a way to play MP3's thru the nav only not very cleanly. Working on cleaning it up and ill distribute to the masses
Hey Alex your no dummy I notice you don't have an AOL em account
Old 11-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastMover
Hey Alex your no dummy I notice you don't have an AOL em account
I dont even use it for work I route all my email thru GMail or something else I HATE AOL.. i dont in architecture/engineering on servers and such.. i wont deal with AOL the service as a whole. And thank god im not forced to use it internally. Its a whole different division.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:31 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I dont even use it for work I route all my email thru GMail or something else I HATE AOL.. i dont in architecture/engineering on servers and such.. i wont deal with AOL the service as a whole. And thank god im not forced to use it internally. Its a whole different division.
Go for you

By the way welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Vette
Old 11-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,672 Likes on 8,313 Posts

My daughter burned an MP3 CD with a couple hundred songs on it this afternoon, and we listened to it tonight on the Bose Premium System (No Nav).

We compared the same track on a std. CD and the MP3 played one after the other. Both of us were astounded at how much better (sharper and clearer) quality the MP3 sounded on the unit.

I don't think it was our imagination at all, but the CD version sounded muddier than the MP3......that crappy old Bose sounded pretty amazing to us.

It still seems like a needless step to me to have to burn the CD in the first place, when a $2 aux input jack on the face of the head unit would accomplish the same thing. Every home stereo component has had this feature for at least 40 years, even the cheap ones. Now that iPOD has become all the rage even among old guys like me, I just don't get it.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
My daughter burned an MP3 CD with a couple hundred songs on it this afternoon, and we listened to it tonight on the Bose Premium System (No Nav).

We compared the same track on a std. CD and the MP3 played one after the other. Both of us were astounded at how much better (sharper and clearer) quality the MP3 sounded on the unit.

I don't think it was our imagination at all, but the CD version sounded muddier than the MP3......that crappy old Bose sounded pretty amazing to us.

It still seems like a needless step to me to have to burn the CD in the first place, when a $2 aux input jack on the face of the head unit would accomplish the same thing. Every home stereo component has had this feature for at least 40 years, even the cheap ones. Now that iPOD has become all the rage even among old guys like me, I just don't get it.
You're saying that a burned CD sounded better than the original? How can that be? Are you putting them both in the Bose changer to listen to and compare?
If the burned one is better sounding, then check your bass, treble, or auto EQ. They may be set up differently for each disc, and the EQ may be degrading the original CD's sound. It is also not uncommon, for the MP3 to be louder than the original, which, when comparing, might make it sound better.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastMover
Go for you

By the way welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Vette

Thanks.. im an engineer by trade so ill probably be coming up with some nifty crap for the vette.. So far i love this board.. no kids or Stop light grand prix people.. I am an avid track junkie and autox'er..

Im probably going to be working on fabricating a titanium exhaust system for the car.. i made one for my E46 M3.. but the car wasnt around long enough for me to create more then the one-off. Hopefully i can do some cool stuff with the C6.. I want to work on a harness bar first.. Need something to hook my schroth's upto

Last edited by alevy; 11-25-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hoonose
You're saying that a burned CD sounded better than the original? How can that be? Are you putting them both in the Bose changer to listen to and compare?
If the burned one is better sounding, then check your bass, treble, or auto EQ. They may be set up differently for each disc, and the EQ may be degrading the original CD's sound. It is also not uncommon, for the MP3 to be louder than the original, which, when comparing, might make it sound better.
Its actually impossible.. While it may "sound" better the fact is it still is 44khz. The Mp3 can be altered to remove some artifacts originally on the CD but if 128kbs/44khz or better Mp3 should be equal to that of a PCM lossless wav. Anything highter then 192kbs is actually undetectable to the human ear anyway.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Hoonoose,

I was trying to say that the MP3 format CD sounded significantly better than the std. CD format. We compared the exact same track (Blackbird, Beatles, White Album) on a store-bought CD, and one burned in MP3 format. Same equalizer settings, etc.

It was not a volume issue, the MP3 format was sharper and less muddy to both our ears. To clarify further, it was far from a controlled comparison, since the MP3 track was downloaded from iTunes, and the CD track was on a store-bought CD. We drove the car to a family gathering tonight, and listened to a lot of the MP3 tracks. I've lived with the system almost 2 months now, and I thought the system sounded more alive with the MP3 tracks.

Alevy, your explanation does make some sense if the MP3 format "cleans up" certain issues that may come with std. commercially produced CDs.

Having said all of that, I realize how subjective all this stuff is. All you have to do is listen to all the stuff here on how some people think the Bose system is horrible and unacceptable and others think it sounds really good. I was somewhere in the middle, but I was actually expecting the opposite result in this case.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-25-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:49 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its actually impossible.. While it may "sound" better the fact is it still is 44khz. The Mp3 can be altered to remove some artifacts originally on the CD but if 128kbs/44khz or better Mp3 should be equal to that of a PCM lossless wav. Anything highter then 192kbs is actually undetectable to the human ear anyway.
Different circuitry in the unit processes MP3 bitstreams and WAV bitstreams. It may be that the D/A conversion circuits in the MP3 chipset are better than the D/A for the uncompressed bit path. 1s are 1s and 0s are 0s, but how the unit turns them back into analog signals is going to determine in large part how it is going to sound.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:23 PM
automa7ic
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by shopdog
Different circuitry in the unit processes MP3 bitstreams and WAV bitstreams. It may be that the D/A conversion circuits in the MP3 chipset are better than the D/A for the uncompressed bit path. 1s are 1s and 0s are 0s, but how the unit turns them back into analog signals is going to determine in large part how it is going to sound.
You may be right, but I think in the end judging sound quality is a purely subjective experience and everyone can have their own opinion as to what they like (this is why you should never buy stereo equipment without listening to it first, no matter how expensive it is or how much cache the brand holds!).

Personnally I'm no fan of the audio features and quality of the BOSE w/Nav system. I loathe getting it replaced because I like the Nav and it was expensive... but I HAVE to be able to connect my iPod (and ideally with premium sound in my "premium" system)!

Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket installations for their ipod? The Dension ice>Link product website mentioned in the FAQ includes no info about the Corvette, so I'm assuming it's unsupported or doesn't work. If what I hear about a possible trunk mounted changer coming down the road is true, then perhaps there is indeed a free port on the back of the BOSE w/Nav for connecting an aftermarket accessory. Any additional info is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by automa7ic; 11-26-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by automa7ic
You may be right, but I think in the end judging sound quality is a purely subjective experience and everyone can have their own opinion as to what they like (this is why you should never buy stereo equipment without listening to it first, no matter how expensive it is or how much cache the brand holds!).

Personnally I'm no fan of the audio features and quality of the BOSE w/Nav system. I loathe getting it replaced because I like the Nav and it was expensive... but I HAVE to be able to connect my iPod (and ideally with premium sound in my "premium" system)!

Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket installations for their ipod? The Dension ice>Link product website mentioned in the FAQ includes no info about the Corvette, so I'm assuming it's unsupported or doesn't work. If what I hear about a possible trunk mounted changer coming down the road is true, then perhaps there is indeed a free port on the back of the BOSE w/Nav for connecting an aftermarket accessory. Any additional info is GREATLY appreciated!
Check out this post i made in another thread.. Not clean but works

IRock transmitter
Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thanks! I have a Belkin that worked fine in an Audi, but nothing but static in the C6. For that price, it's worth a try.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:09 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Monster is putting out an adaptor called the icruze that can be used to connect an ipod to any standard changer or satellite radio port. It is supposed to be out in December when I last spoke to them. Here is the link http://www.monstercable.com/press/pr..._11_icruze.asp
Old 11-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by crabman
Monster is putting out an adaptor called the icruze that can be used to connect an ipod to any standard changer or satellite radio port. It is supposed to be out in December when I last spoke to them. Here is the link http://www.monstercable.com/press/pr..._11_icruze.asp
Nice.. hopefully soundgate gets it to work.. Blitzsafe, another aux adapter maker made a working model for the C5 but then recalled it due to some kinda issue with installation and the airbag..

Blitzsafe News
Old 11-27-2004, 04:31 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Because YOUNGER, HITECH GUYS don't, typically, buy a brutish, somewhat redneckish, hunk of a car like a Vette!
An 8-track player would probably sell better!
I may be the exception, but I am another young (26) high tech Vette owner. I've been on computers since middle school, did CAD for two years in high school with a little AutoLISP programming on the side. Did CAD work for Boeing for a year before joining the Air Force as a programmer. I've been developing computer systems for the past 7 years. I've been tuning my C5 ever since HPTuners came out for my car. I guess that means I'm high tech too.I don't have a C6 yet, but if my enlisted paycheck can swing a C6 Z, I'll be there.

I wouldn't call a Vette, even a now older Vette like the C5, brutish or redneckish. It has composite body panels, Ti mufflers, hollow stem valves, composite intake manifold, AH/TC, hydroformed rails, AL block, AL in the firewall, AL upper/lower A-arms, AL subframes, lightweight fasteners, and a sweet programmable computer system. There are lots of functional CF bits for this car too. Any car that has CF, AL and Ti serve a functional purpose is pretty damn awesome to me.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
I may be the exception, but I am another young (26) high tech Vette owner. I've been on computers since middle school, did CAD for two years in high school with a little AutoLISP programming on the side. Did CAD work for Boeing for a year before joining the Air Force as a programmer. I've been developing computer systems for the past 7 years. I've been tuning my C5 ever since HPTuners came out for my car. I guess that means I'm high tech too.I don't have a C6 yet, but if my enlisted paycheck can swing a C6 Z, I'll be there.

I wouldn't call a Vette, even a now older Vette like the C5, brutish or redneckish. It has composite body panels, Ti mufflers, hollow stem valves, composite intake manifold, AH/TC, hydroformed rails, AL block, AL in the firewall, AL upper/lower A-arms, AL subframes, lightweight fasteners, and a sweet programmable computer system. There are lots of functional CF bits for this car too. Any car that has CF, AL and Ti serve a functional purpose is pretty damn awesome to me.
YOU may be the exception, son, but take your 2nd paragraph there, and re-read it with a southern accent....
Seewattimeen?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:08 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I was stationed at Gunter Annex in Montgomery, AL for 4 years...so I reckon yer untah sumpin!

Get notified of new replies

To CD Player not recognizing MP3 CD..

Old 11-28-2004, 12:50 AM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Working on cleaning it up and ill distribute to the masses
When you distribute... please start a new thread so it is not buried in "this" thread...

Thanks! I'll put it in the FAQ if it's good!

Doc Rings
Old 11-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by docrings1
When you distribute... please start a new thread so it is not buried in "this" thread...

Thanks! I'll put it in the FAQ if it's good!

Doc Rings
Would you mind included my V1 Hardwire install in the FAQ? Seems like it helped a ton of people already because i put pictures in it..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=955901

Im gonna try to make a more powerful FM transmitter with a digital adjustment so you can use any station you want. But ill package it so that it hides away
Old 11-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I picked up the iRock FM transmitter at Radio Shack today for $29.95. It works better than the previous model I had, but there is still static, and it's not as good as a powerful FM station. It does work and sounds OK....definitely worth the small amount of money.

Now, where's that damned $2 aux input on the faceplate? There is a button labeled "CD/AUX" on the 6-disc, non-nav. head unit. What's that for if there is no aux input?

Last edited by Foosh; 11-28-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: CD Player not recognizing MP3 CD..