Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Here is the update on My Z06 losing power at the track and why with PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...going out to check mine right now...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
...going out to check mine right now...
Ditto
Old 05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine was losing power at WOT at the track last week. He took it to the dealer and there were no codes nor any other explanation as to what was happening (only at WOT). We thought maybe bad gas. Anyway, he checks his air bridge this afternoon AND HIS LOWER STICKER WAS PARTIALLY ATTACHED AND FLAPPING IN THE BREEZE, BLOCKING THE AIR FLOW AT WOT (he removed it and the car ran fine). Man . . .
Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I just checked mine.There was a quite a bit of oil in the housing.The air filter is oil soaked.Not terrible.It had dripped out onto the shroud(?) underneath.The top sticker is fine.The corners of the bottom sticker are begining to separate.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,676 Likes on 8,314 Posts

Amazing......
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Does anyone know if the sticker removal will have a negative affect on the emissions? My guess is not enough to worry about but thought I should ask.Also do all C6's have the same thing?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 PM
silver 0 six
Pro

Thanks to people like you and other forum members who share
these situations...we all learn something every day.

I am glad it wasn't anything serious and you can continue
to enjoy your car. ts
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackNoob

2) Oil vapors can indeed come up through the throttle body under extreme RPM when temporarily exceeding point capacity of PCV system, and high oil fill level exascerbates this effect. However, I really doubt that this contributed to your failure, UNLESS you observed that the pads were saturated and oil was 'bleeding' out the front of air box. I would instead think it more likely that a poorly pressed on patch (or prepped surface) led the thing to lift up under high volume air flow, and whoosh!

Noob,

My snorkel inside had oil all over it. I do not think this was due to a poorly pressed patch. There are too many people now discovering a missing or loose patch.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:36 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by Foosh
Amazing......

Ok. Now, lets hear your excuse on why GM made this booboo? Make sure to intervene your statement with references to the high-technology and unpatriotic US consumer. Also, make sure to note that this is a very minor issue and it keeps the price down, grass green and sky blue
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Noob,

My snorkel inside had oil all over it. I do not think this was due to a poorly pressed patch. There are too many people now discovering a missing or loose patch.
To me, sounds like we have a very unfortunate confluence of a couple of issues, resulting in a very bad overall situation:

1) The oil 'burping' of Z06 up into the intake track under certain conditions is real, confirmed by factory, and seems to have been experienced by more than a few CF'ers personally. A bit annoying in it's own right, but added to #2 &3, feels a bit ominous now

2) Both the C6 and the Z06 use carbon impregnanted 'patches' or 'stickers' or 'pads' in the intake channel downstream of the air filter, where if they were to come loose, they can cause havoc, and a partially detached one could be a real nightmare to diagnose.

3) The method of adhesion/retention for these 'pads' is doublesided tape [note - some also have been reported as having been glued with a silicone-like material]. The contours of the molded parts these items are taped to are not flat and has at least some texture. There is also the issue of mold release compound, surface prep, and individual workmanship variability in method of application by the installer (just slap it on versus press carefully with good pressure across entire surface) Given the potentially solvent-rich environment, the large volume of air flow across the parts, and the observable fact that they are not fully adhered on cars recently checked leads to a quite reasonable concern that they may, or more properly WILL, become partially or fully detached over the service life of the vehicle.

Like I said earlier, if I were GM, I'd quickly begin thinking about a more robust method, potentially involving SECURE integration of the carbon element into the face of the replaceable air filter assy. If more surface area is needed than the air filter can give up, then perhaps a molded 'pocket' or guide rails that a cartridge type element could go into to be securely fastened.

Bottom line -- without being alarmist, this is certainly not good.

Thanks again for being the point man to get this information on the radar screen.

[Edited to add that doublesided tape may not be the only way they are attached in all cars]

Last edited by TrackNoob; 05-09-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
..Also do all C6's have the same thing?
Read the first page.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeterK
Ok. Now, lets hear your excuse on why GM made this booboo? Make sure to intervene your statement with references to the high-technology and unpatriotic US consumer. Also, make sure to note that this is a very minor issue and it keeps the price down, grass green and sky blue
Foosh is quite capable of responding for himself, and probably will, but I can't pass up a chance to pipe in:

I am a bit annoyed, and also glad this is now known, HOWEVER, I can tell you that GM are not the first, nor the only engineers to be lured by the appeal (siren song?) of doublesided tape products in badly chosen applications.

I would prefer not to go into details, but the reason this is so near to me is that in a past job, I had the opportunity to direct several engineers, and I mandated they cease using double sided tape backed wire bundle guides. These items can be found in most electronic parts catalogs. They are cheap, easy to apply, versatile as to where you can place them, easy to add after the initial design since they required no mounting holes or hardware... all in all, very appealing on the front end. However, they are almost certainly going to become detached sometime during use, service, storage, or shipment, as actual experience showed me, time and time again.

So I am not going to lambaste GM for this. I am going to stand by and see what they do to deal with it.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Read the first page.
Thanks.I missed that one.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
A friend of mine was losing power at WOT at the track last week. He took it to the dealer and there were no codes nor any other explanation as to what was happening (only at WOT). We thought maybe bad gas. Anyway, he checks his air bridge this afternoon AND HIS LOWER STICKER WAS PARTIALLY ATTACHED AND FLAPPING IN THE BREEZE, BLOCKING THE AIR FLOW AT WOT (he removed it and the car ran fine). Man . . .
By my count that make at least 3 reported cases of loose H.T. Stickers just on this thread; therefore I am assuming that this is going to be a common occurrence. Rather then waiting for lighting to strike; mine are coming off tomorrow!

This is a fantastic forum; where else can you be apprised of a potential problem that GM itself probably isn’t yet aware of (or won’t tell us)!

Thanks Mike, Allan and everyone else that posted!

Save the Wave

Jim
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Foosh is quite capable of responding for himself, and probably will, but I can't pass up a chance to pipe in:

I am a bit annoyed, and also glad this is now known, HOWEVER, I can tell you that GM are not the first, nor the only engineers to be lured by the appeal (siren song?) of doublesided tape products in badly chosen applications.

I would prefer not to go into details, but the reason this is so near to me is that in a past job, I had the opportunity to direct several engineers, and I mandated they cease using double sided tape backed wire bundle guides. These items can be found in most electronic parts catalogs. They are cheap, easy to apply, versatile as to where you can place them, easy to add after the initial design since they required no mounting holes or hardware... all in all, very appealing on the front end. However, they are almost certainly going to become detached sometime during use, service, storage, or shipment, as actual experience showed me, time and time again.

So I am not going to lambaste GM for this. I am going to stand by and see what they do to deal with it.
In my Business we also use a form of double sided tape.The success is usually limited to the surface preparation.If the contact surfaces are prepared properly the bond almost seems indefinate.Also
plastic surfaces can be difficult to adhere to.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PeterK
I must say it is troublesome that some must **** in ones eye whenever they have a chance.Furthermore I don't see the need for your rhetoric.I am sure it is getting old with more than just myself.American autos are not the only ones with issues.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

..he checks his air bridge this afternoon AND HIS LOWER STICKER WAS PARTIALLY ATTACHED AND FLAPPING IN THE BREEZE, BLOCKING THE AIR FLOW AT WOT (he removed it and the car ran fine). Man . . .

So glad he found that. As a kid, I remember I had a 327 Camaro that ran great most of the time, but just every now and then would quit stone cold, and crank but not fire.

Compression = check
Air/fuel = check
Fire = no spark

Usually, by the time I had pulled the dist cap and poked around, voltage was on the points, rotor and cap okay, reassemble, boom, would fire off and work for another week, no obvious reason found.

I had changed points, cap, condenser, rotor, wires, plugs, you name it at least once, mostly twice, and it would still do it.

Finally, traced it to a broken wire within insulation inside the distributor, going to the points, so when I moved the breaker plate or changed points, it would often 'connect' but sometimes 'disconnect'.

Intermittent issues are no fun! But, partial intemittent issues are the worst (like a flapping, but still somewhat adhered sticker might be)

Get notified of new replies

To Here is the update on My Z06 losing power at the track and why with PICS!!!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

3) The method of adhesion/retention for these 'pads' is doublesided tape.
The adhesive remnant of the lower pad that is missing from my intake does not look like it came from double sided tape. It appears to be a silicone-based adhesive. It was very stringy and impregnated with motor oil. Since it looked like the strings could also migrate to and through the throttle body, I cleaned them off. The top pad seems very secure at this point, so I left it alone, but it clearly appeared to be glued down rather than stuck on with double-sided tape. Note - my car was a fairly early build (8/31/05), so they may have switched to tape later on.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 156 Likes on 86 Posts

Being that these 2 pieces of plastic stick-on pads are for pollution control, and NOT for performance, can I just take them both off and leave them off for goods, without setting any codes?

Thanks,
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

The adhesive remnant of the lower pad that is missing from my intake does not look like it came from double sided tape. It appears to be a silicone-based adhesive. It was very stringy and impregnated with motor oil. Since it looked like the strings could also migrate to and through the throttle body, I cleaned them off. The top pad seems very secure at this point, so I left it alone, but it clearly appeared to be glued down rather than stuck on with double-sided tape. Note - my car was a fairly early build (8/31/05), so they may have switched to tape later on.
Good info!

Note to self.... "Running..production... changes...make... Homer...a ...dull...boy..."

"Running..production... changes...make... Homer...a ...dull...boy..."
"Running..production... changes...make... Homer...a ...dull...boy..."

[Edited to add -- here is a closeup picture of mine where it had detached - note the filmy looking stuff - that is the tape free from both surfaces]

Last edited by TrackNoob; 05-09-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Here is the update on My Z06 losing power at the track and why with PICS!!!