Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z06--How to Improve Your Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:28 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I wear Diesel brand thin soled gym flats. They have a rubber sole with decent grip and good feel. I wear these same shoes whenever racing. Other brands or racing shoes are fine too. You just need the ability to feel through the soles. Stay away from street shoes or running shoes. Slippery and no feel.

Ranger
Ranger - This is really good advice. It can make a difference, especially when trying to get a feel for how to launch a car like the C6Z.

Oakley has also come out with some shoes designed for drag racing. These are designed with a normal heel for support, but if you look closely, you'll see the front of the shoe is thin and flexible to maximize feel of the pedals. It is also very grippy so it won't slip.

http://oakley.com/o/o1690d
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Practice truly does make perfect. We had a private track rental Friday at Moroso Motorsports park (which isn't private, anyone with $75 is welcome). I got in 19 runs, only missed 2nd once on my second race of the day when I was seeing just how fast I could shift. And by the end of day I was shifting gears as fast as I was in my C5, and got my times down to 12.55 @112 in the heat of the day (DA about 4000 in the August sun) which I was happy with for my car with only Vararam and ported intake.

Thanks yet again Ranger. Keeping the spreadsheet like you do and practicing has made drag racing a lot more fun for me.
Thanks for the kind word, Joe_G

Are you wearing a glove on your right hand. If not, you might try one like a Nike football receiver glove. It helps ensure positive contact with the shifter and negates the adverse impact of sweat.

Originally Posted by dgdoc
Ranger...Oakley has also come out with some shoes designed for drag racing. http://oakley.com/o/o1690d
Oakley makes good stuff. Thanks for the link, dgdoc.

Ranger
Old 08-20-2006, 12:14 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oakley makes good stuff. Thanks for the link, dgdoc.

Ranger
If you are going to order this shoe order one size larger......They run small
Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
FRC Joe
Instructor

Thanks for the info and tips Ranger and Painrace. I will try to incorporate the techniques you describe. I guess I was trying to eliminate the effect of launch acceleration on my foot position by pivoting from a fixed point. By trying to eliminate one variable I was introducing another, the slippage between sole and pedal. Now that I've got the car back togther, time to practice
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

so the gm cltuch fluid is dot 4? how much? where do you get the syringe? any closeups?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
so the gm cltuch fluid is dot 4? how much? where do you get the syringe? any closeups?
Details are in this thread: C6Z06 Clutch Hydraulic Fluid--the Chevy Spec
Old 10-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Please take a look at our "new" Heel-Toe" Gas Pedal:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C6_Pedals.html

Much wider than the stock pedal. We have also designed this pedal to extend closer to the driver so the brake and gas are more in line.
Attached Images  

Click for Elite Engineering
Old 10-28-2006, 01:46 PM
jimmy j
Racer

Thanks Ranger for your time. This is why I read the forum. Your great imformation through your experence
helps all!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fast driving is like any other athletic endeavor, a combination of techniques and practice to embed muscle memory. Think about the difference between two b-ball players' foul shot percentage. One shoots 62%, the other 89%. Why the difference? Usually the answer is: practice, practice, practice.

So start practicing. You too can shift faster than an Enzo.

Ranger
Do you think that such practice and development of a systematic approach to street driving using those techniques that you describe are also beneficial ? I would like to hear your opinion .. and whether you use the same technique while doing driving off the track...

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z06--How to Improve Your Shifting