Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Ran into a Z06 owner that probably isn't the norm

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Ran into a Z06 owner that probably isn't the norm

Stopped in at the local gas station here in Mobile Alabama and to my surprise there was a silver C6 Z06 parked at one of the gas pumps. I saw the air induction opening in the nose, badges and wider front grill opening and I said to myself, "Really?!". Although It had quite a bit of road debris all over the fascia and it was a little dusty.

So I hopped out and walked into the gas station and saw what I thought was the owner and asked him about his car, he gave a brief smile, nodded and abruptly left the store. So, I figured if I hadn't made him think I was a crazy stalker just yet, I stepped outside the store and asked him if he posted on corvetteforum and he turned around and said "what?......where?", then he just walked away like as soon as the "where" came out of his mouth. Hope he didn't think I was trying to ask for money or sale him something, I kinda wanted to talk about his car.

I just stood there looking like the guy in my avatar as he drove off. Guess he was in a hurry or something. Saw my first Z in person and it was gone just as quick as I saw it. I talk to other Corvette owners quite often and they're always ready to talk your ear off about their car. I at least figured the owner of the fastest best handling street vette offered would want to talk a little. Ah well, if I see any of you other Z06 owners in the local area, you better be ready to talk.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I get stopped by people frequently who want to talk about "the car". Unless I need to be somewhere, and then I apologize, I always oblige them.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I enjoyed talking to people about my car for the first couple weeks... But telling the same story, over and over and over and over to every person that wants to hear it gets REALLY old. I avoid talking about my car whenever possible, because I've grown tired of it! I know how you feel, but I get badgered a LOT, especially since I'm a young guy... Not only do I get the "Hey nice car" conversations... I get the "Hey, nice daddy's car" conversations... Almost makes me wish my car turned into a Cavalier when I was vulnerable to conversations! I'll sit and talk though, but not forever... If I'm in a hurry, I explain I have to leave and get directly in the car and go.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
equipone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was silver silly...that means he's not an attention ***** looking to get his ego stroked.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Honestly that annoys me. I buy cars to haul *** not to sit around a parking lot and talk about orange peel and roof separation. And of course I am the a-hole for not sharing my life with you.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
Honestly that annoys me. I buy cars to haul *** not to sit around a parking lot and talk about orange peel and roof separation. And of course I am the a-hole for not sharing my life with you.

Um.........okay?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Just like anything else, you will get a wide variety of responses. I live in santa rosa beach, florida. If you are ever get down this way, I have no problem talking to you about the car. I think that is part of the perception of some people too. That all corvette owners are like that. They are not I assure you. However, let me share a funny story with you that happened today. I know a guy named richard and he has an 05 c6. He has stopped me numerous times in my Z and talked to me. Today I go by him in my Z71 and wave like crazy and he intentionally looks the other way. We laughed so hard it wasn't even funny. I went by him 2 hours later in my Z and he is my best friend again . Too funny!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blandcastle
Just like anything else, you will get a wide variety of responses. I live in santa rosa beach, florida. If you are ever get down this way, I have no problem talking to you about the car. I think that is part of the perception of some people too. That all corvette owners are like that. They are not I assure you. However, let me share a funny story with you that happened today. I know a guy named richard and he has an 05 c6. He has stopped me numerous times in my Z and talked to me. Today I go by him in my Z71 and wave like crazy and he intentionally looks the other way. We laughed so hard it wasn't even funny. I went by him 2 hours later in my Z and he is my best friend again . Too funny!

That's a little odd. The next time that guy wants to talk to you, you should bring that up just to see what he says.

05C6spdvert: I don't know why it's annoying, I was just trying to be friendly with the guy. I can understand if he were in a hurry. The guy just turned his back on me and walked away mid attempt at talking to him without even saying anything like "I gotta go" or "sorry, short on time". I thought if he's got time to put gas in her, he can recieve a compliment. I apologize for trying to interact with the Corvette community.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Kinda like trying to talk to a Ferrari owner. Unless you have a Ferrari right there too, they wont talk to you.

Whatever. Let him be in his own little world.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:25 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you had the helmet on like the guy in the avatar, I would have hustled out of there too.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

There are a lot os A**holes in the world. Some of them drive Corvettes. There are also a lot more nice people in the world than a**holes. Enjoy the good ones and forget the a**holes. I have talked with people all over the world about cars or racing, most I did not know. It takes all kinds,
Old 07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
If you had the helmet on like the guy in the avatar, I would have hustled out of there too.

Yeah that would've been an interesting/embarassing site. I always picture the guy in my av ready to autocross but then he's told his car is disqualified and he just sits there.

I know a lot of these threads pop up way too often but man was I itching to shred about that Z06 with the owner. Not if he could help it.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:43 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I talk with every girl that asks about/compliments my Z06
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by equipone
It was silver silly...that means he's not an attention ***** looking to get his ego stroked.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 PM
elanderholm
Instructor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Kinda like trying to talk to a Ferrari owner. Unless you have a Ferrari right there too, they wont talk to you.

Whatever. Let him be in his own little world.
not my experience
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
speedfreak27
Instructor

I spend most of my time in OT, but I like to check out the other forums to see what people are saying. I don't know why considering the attitudes most Corvette owners have. I guess I just like watching all the drama play out amongst the children.

Anyway, after seeing some of the comments here, I just had to respond to this.

I see a lot of people here calling this guy an azzhat for not stopping to talk to you and that he's not a true Corvette owner. Well, guess what? Some people just aren't that social. You don't have to be social, either, to be a "true Corvette owner".

If that had been me, I would've walked away, too. I value my privacy and like to keep to myself. It would've made me pretty nervous to have a complete stranger walk up to me and stalk me to talk about my nearly $80k car.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it was stolen and he was sneeking it back to Alaska and didn't want to talk about the caper.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran into a Z06 owner that probably isn't the norm

Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe he is suffering from diarhhea! He had to GO!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know why, but this thread is just too damn funny
Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM
mrwrenchphd
Racer

Originally Posted by elanderholm
not my experience
Same here. On my way to S.C. to pick up my Z06, I stopped in to see a friend in GA. One of his customers had a Ferrari 550 Maranello & let my drive it like I stole it for about 40 mins. Also had a friend of a friend let me take out his Testarossa for a while as well. Ferrari owners from my experience are good people/car people.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ran into a Z06 owner that probably isn't the norm