Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Crate LS7 Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
Probably from a dyno jet and then divided by .85

Good answer
Old 12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Hi Jason,

MoTec is setting up the software for the car. They were out last week measuring for the wiring harness.

I still have plans for Katech to do some engine work. I will contact you soon.

Mike

Cool. I'm pumped. You're going to have a pro racecar when you're done.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by niphilli2
I think they are referring to an engine dyno without accessories or emissions equipment. Ie. Gross HP ratings instead of net (like the ratings back in the 60s). I would guess 530-540HP?

Removing catalysts would be the biggest gain and still not near 530-540 or even the 550 he originally mentioned.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Katech_Zach

There was a post on this forum a while ago where we had people from Wixom answering all of these questions. I tried to find the post (and will continue to do so) but it seems I cannot search back that far. I asked the Wixom tech some similar questions and The he seemed to indicate there was minor variation between the engines beng put out (I seem to recall 1% - 2%) type of numbers.

Lets ask GM themselves,
Mr. Katech (Ji.e. Jason), does GM under-rate their engines or do they abide by the SAE J2723 standard?

The LS7 is not under-rated. They make pretty much 505 SAE. GM does have a history of under-rating engines, but the new SAE standard and more responsible reporting policies are supposed to change that and the industry.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Katech
The LS7 is not under-rated. They make pretty much 505 SAE. GM does have a history of under-rating engines, but the new SAE standard and more responsible reporting policies are supposed to change that and the industry.
Boy, that's one super-efficient drive train then. *cough* *sputter* bullsh1t *cough*. With stock rear-wheel dynos of 440-460HP for these Z06s, it means the drive train is losing a mere 10-11% power?

As Bill Cosby once said, "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. What's an Ark?!"

While I don't question your knowledge of some of thing things that go on within GM, I find this claim to be complete nonsense. There's no way the drive train on these cars is SO efficient that it's losing 10-11% power. Not happening.

jas
Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Boy, that's one super-efficient drive train then. *cough* *sputter* bullsh1t *cough*. With stock rear-wheel dynos of 440-460HP for these Z06s, it means the drive train is losing a mere 10-11% power?

While I don't question your knowledge of some of thing things that go on within GM, I find this claim to be complete nonsense. There's no way the drive train on these cars is SO efficient that it's losing 10-11% power. Not happening.

jas

You have got to be kidding? How can you even have the nerve to question Katech's answer on this? Katech works hand-in-hand in engine development with GM. They are responsible for helping out with the C6-R. They have some of the best engine dynos that are under severe environmental control to detect even a slight change in HP. Just ask Jim Hall about Katech's dyno's and how accurate they are. Why would GM say the the LS7 is SAE certified and not used the standard.

As far as RWHP numbers around here, they are mosly garbage. Katech even proved this recently with an LS7 cam test when they found one very reputable tuner to overrate the BHP gain by more than 35!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

As far as RWHP numbers around here, they are mosly garbage. Katech even proved this recently with an LS7 cam test when they found one very reputable tuner to overrate the BHP gain by more than 35!
What does "a very reputable tuner's" overrating have anything to do with RWHP? I was there, the day my BONE STOCK Z06 was put in a Dynojet, with a mere 1000 miles on the odo. 454HP at the rear wheels. BONE STOCK (just for clarification: that means no engine tuning, no exhaust mods, no intake mods, NOTHING).

And I'll question anyone whose claims don't make sense. Simple fact: if a car is putting 454HP to the REAR WHEELS, and the engine is claimed to be putting out 505HP at the crank, that means the drive train is responsible for a 10.09% loss. And I believe that to be complete BS. Nobody's drive trains are that efficient.

I know very well who Katech is and what they've accomplished (they've been working with GM's racing long before the C6-R). But math is math. And numbers don't lie. You want to convince me, then whip out the numbers and show me.

jas
Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Katech, that answer is as good as gold.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Verrückt
From Katech, that answer is as good as gold.

Some of you guys are amazing. The engineer in me says "Trust. But verify." I'd expect similar attitudes, but I guess not.

(Hint: Katech isn't God).

jas
Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by jvp
What does "a very reputable tuner's" overrating have anything to do with RWHP? I was there, the day my BONE STOCK Z06 was put in a Dynojet, with a mere 1000 miles on the odo. 454HP at the rear wheels. BONE STOCK (just for clarification: that means no engine tuning, no exhaust mods, no intake mods, NOTHING).

And I'll question anyone whose claims don't make sense. Simple fact: if a car is putting 454HP to the REAR WHEELS, and the engine is claimed to be putting out 505HP at the crank, that means the drive train is responsible for a 10.09% loss. And I believe that to be complete BS. Nobody's drive trains are that efficient.

I know very well who Katech is and what they've accomplished (they've been working with GM's racing long before the C6-R). But math is math. And numbers don't lie. You want to convince me, then whip out the numbers and show me.

jas

So you are saying you trust and aftermarket speedshop's Dynojet inertia dyno that calculates horsepower based on the torque number at the rear wheels more than you trust a Schenck-Pegasus and Fraude water brake dyno with superflow electronics in a climate controlled room and industry standard SAE correction factors measured by a ISO 9001-certified tier 1 GM supplier? Numbers do lie, and here's a few more for you. We measured 420rwhp C6 Z06 on a Mustang dyno. That's 85hp drivetrain loss or 16.9%. Does that make more sense to you?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:19 AM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

jas
Did it ever occur to anyone that using a strict percentage of the engine's crank HP as the method of calculating drive-train loss is a pretty bad way to do this?

As an example, for this to be true, it would mean that the drive train loss on a C6Z would have to be about 25% more than a C6 for everything to be identical. Does anyone believe this is the case?

A different way to think of this is that drive train loss is probably pretty close to being a constant for the type of vehicle, transmission, differential, and axle/CV assembly. Yes, there is an increase in gear drag as RPM's go up and torque rises, but I don't think it is a constant. So, I believe that as HP goes up, the percentage to attribute to drive train loss will probably go down.

I've read that NASCAR folks have drive-train losses in the 5% area. Part of this is because these folks pay extreme attention to all the things that cause drag. However another part of this equation is certainly the fact that their motors are in the 700-800 HP range. If we simple used the 15% rule, that would mean that NASCAR vehicles would be losing 120 HP due to drive train losses. (Things would get pretty hot if that were the case).

Anyway, just something else to consider when engaging in crank vs. RWHP debates...

Last edited by dgdoc; 12-28-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by dgdoc
Did it ever occur to anyone that using a strict percentage of the engine's crank HP as the method of calculating drive-train loss is a pretty bad way to do this?

As an example, for this to be true, it would mean that the drive train loss on a C6Z would have to be about 25% more than a C6 for everything to be identical. Does anyone believe this is the case?

A different way to think of this is that drive train loss is probably pretty close to being a constant for the type of vehicle, transmission, differential, and axle/CV assembly. Therefore as the HP goes up, the percentage to attribute to drive train loss will probably go down.

I've read that NASCAR folks have drive-train losses in the 5% area. Part of this is because these folks pay extreme attention to all the things that cause drag. However another part of this equation is certainly the fact that their motors are in the 700-800 HP range.

Just something to consider when engaging in crank vs. RWHP debates...

That's true. Drivetrain loss really ins't a fixed number or a percent, rather somewhere in between. Say you have a C6 Z06 loosing 85hp or 16.9% stock. Well say that we put twin turbos on it and it made 1000hp. It probably won't loose 169hp throught the drivetrain, but it probably will be more than 85hp.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Schenck-Pegasus and Fraude water brake dyno with superflow electronics in a climate controlled room and industry standard SAE correction factors measured by a ISO 9001-certified tier 1 GM supplier?
Simple question: How many crate LS7s have you tested? What's your sample size?

jas
Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by jvp
Simple question: How many crate LS7s have you tested? What's your sample size?

jas

By my count in our log I see 77, but there could be much more than that.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By my count in our log I see 77, but there could be much more than that.
Only 77? And you call that a significant sampling on which to base conclusions about an engine design's performance?

Seriously, you got my attention with that post (and it's not like I wasn't paying attention before). Would you be willing to provide some insight on the hi/low range of peak torque and HP numbers (if you're not otherwise under some confidentiality obligation)? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Mhart27
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdoc

A different way to think of this is that drive train loss is probably pretty close to being a constant for the type of vehicle, transmission, differential, and axle/CV assembly. Yes, there is an increase in gear drag as RPM's go up and torque rises, but I don't think it is a constant. So, I believe that as HP goes up, the percentage to attribute to drive train loss will probably go down.

I've read that NASCAR folks have drive-train losses in the 5% area. Part of this is because these folks pay extreme attention to all the things that cause drag. However another part of this equation is certainly the fact that their motors are in the 700-800 HP range. If we simple used the 15% rule, that would mean that NASCAR vehicles would be losing 120 HP due to drive train losses. (Things would get pretty hot if that were the case).

Anyway, just something else to consider when engaging in crank vs. RWHP debates...
Thank you for putting into words what I have been wondering for a little while now. I never understood why it took more power to turn the same components when the power of the engine was increased. Assuming the drivetrain components have not been changed, how can you use a set percentage to calculate drivetrain losses for two different engine power outputs?

Katech: I am very interested to know why it would be, as you said "somewhere in between?" Not too technical an answer as I am not an engineer. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

So some ppl are thinking that DECADES of experience with GM Engines, is still worth questioning?

Now what were those few WINNING engine building accomplishments?
http://www.katechengines.com/katech_...s_heritage.php

Get notified of new replies

To Crate LS7 Dyno

Old 12-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by JDRacing
Only 77? And you call that a significant sampling on which to base conclusions about an engine design's performance?

Seriously, you got my attention with that post (and it's not like I wasn't paying attention before). Would you be willing to provide some insight on the hi/low range of peak torque and HP numbers (if you're not otherwise under some confidentiality obligation)? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I can't go into any more detail on GM development work.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I can't go into any more detail on GM development work.
Understood, and thank you for the response. I suspected as much, but just thought I'd ask.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Mhart27
Thank you for putting into words what I have been wondering for a little while now. I never understood why it took more power to turn the same components when the power of the engine was increased. Assuming the drivetrain components have not been changed, how can you use a set percentage to calculate drivetrain losses for two different engine power outputs?

Katech: I am very interested to know why it would be, as you said "somewhere in between?" Not too technical an answer as I am not an engineer. Thanks.
Dgdog said it well when he said

Yes, there is an increase in gear drag as RPM's go up and torque rises, but I don't think it is a constant. So, I believe that as HP goes up, the percentage to attribute to drive train loss will probably go down.
Parasitics increase exponentially with speed. As you increase horsepower levels the percentage of which is lost through the drivetrain becomes less altough it is also not a fixed number. Here is an example: Compare that stock Z06 I stated earlier at 85hp/16.9% drivetrain loss. On our street attack Z06 at 608hp we measured 100hp/16.5% drivetrain loss. Horsepower loss goes up with power increase, percentage lost goes down.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Crate LS7 Dyno