Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:54 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by TRR
Good post. Very interesting results. I've never thought about having to shift 4th to 5th quickly. I can see how that good have bad results. Do you remember what the speed was at the top of 4th?

Again good post

TRR
Top of 4th is 159mph. (7100)
Old 06-10-2007, 11:55 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryZ06
Hey Carlos I say we start collecting money so we can fly you and your car over there next time to slay them

I would LOVE to Gary

I think I would win every race. Not to sound cocky (and I'm not...trust me), we have beaten EVERY modded and non-modded exotic competitor down here (remember that Renntech SL65 I spotted 3 cars and still beat him by 8 cars on motor and on EMT’s?). I would think the results would be the same over there. I have TWO hidden uncle Julio, so running out of that pinch-hitting option is not an issue; they can provide plenty of punch if necessary. We whipped ‘em from a roll or from a standing start…it doesn’t matter

I tell ya, a well balanced and modded Z with a good driver on that juice is very, very difficult to beat; it’s darn near impossible

Carlos
Old 06-10-2007, 12:04 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I would LOVE to Gary

I think I would win every race. Not to sound cocky (and I'm not...trust me), we have beaten EVERY modded and non-modded exotic competitor down here (remember that Renntech SL65 I spotted 3 cars and still beat him by 8 cars on motor and on EMT’s?). I would think the results would be the same over there. I have TWO hidden uncle Julio, so running out of that pinch-hitting option is not an issue; they can provide plenty of punch if necessary. We whipped ‘em from a roll or from a standing start…it doesn’t matter

I tell ya, a well balanced and modded Z with a good driver on that juice is very, very difficult to beat; it’s darn near impossible

Carlos
Old 06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
jimmy j
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job representing the Z ! Thank you Jim Hall for steeping up to the plate with your time and parts. You are the forum man of the year! From the caveman.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
mcm
Racer

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
I think he used the perfect package to unleash the power. It proved that minor tweaks (although Jim did serious engineering to get it perfect) to the Z06 and you will be able to beat up on the big boys. I am more impressed with these results with Jim's package than i would have been with like a tuner TT package. Congamans car is practically stock for all intensive purposes and can be viewed as such. With a TT, everyone would have been like "we expected you to win".
True, there is something to be said for that, but in the end sometimes a good old fashioned brute force beat down is in order. When someone brings a Ruf Porsche that has twice the stock horsepower, one could feel obliged to do the same for their marque of choice. Muahahaha.

Last edited by mcm; 06-10-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: I type good.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Ranger
Great job, Congaman!

Enjoyed the report and the pictures.

(1) Is there an official results list giving the times and speeds of each car? Do they average all the runs or take the best one?

(2) What type of timing equipment is used?

(3) Did that concrete surface have a texture for rainy weather traction by aircraft?

(4) What is the rule regarding a passenger?

(5) What tire pressure did you run?

Regarding the 4-5 shift, that one take practice, practice, practice. The bright side of that is it signals a path to improve for next year.

Awaiting the videos.

Again, congratulations on the fine results.

Ranger
I'll try to answer your questions......

1) No time lists....This race is totally unscientific and just for having a fun day under safe conditions.....

2) For those that wanted there was a Vericom VC3000DAQ available....I just measured 100-200 km/h......got 8,3 sec if I remember correctly....The 996 RUF got 7,3 for the same interval

3) This is an old military air strip....as we no longer could use the Koenigsegg strip.......as it showed the pattern gave a fantastic grip preventing wheel spin......

4) The passenger rule is there because one car is always carrying 2 persons......the driver AND the camera man.........so to avoid discussions on the Internet about advantages for the car having only 1 passenger we decided that both cars should run with 2 persons in it.

5) 27 psi.....if I have translated it correctly

Thank also for the congrats....but I don't feel as I deserve it this time......missing the gear shifts annoys me......

But as you all say.....it signals that I could do a lot better next year......small steps toward greatness.....

I would really love to see Ranger and/or Carlos there next year......wow......that would give the boys something to talk about....
Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NORTY
Top of 4th is 159mph. (7100)
Recalculate. I set his rev limiter at 7300 rpm.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Hartley
Instructor

Looks like a great time, sure wish there was something like that in CA.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM
thee Dragon
Instructor

I understand what you are saying.

I also understand your various trepidations about real-world-testing at high-speeds.

As I stated in my original post; I recommend motor-off AND motor-on practicing when one wishes to improve their performance at lift speeds eg. +150 mph.

The author of the thread has already stated that they need to improve their high-speed shifting performance; an obvious observation when one accidentally pushes for Reverse rather than 5th at ~160 mph.

The need-for-improvement for most journeyman drivers being the case: ONLY practicing with the motor off eg. no wind noise, no screaming LS7, no chasis vibration, no steering wheel shake, no GALLONS of adrenaline pumping, no nervousness, and in the comfort of your own quiet garage will not be ALL of the practice this driver needs to better his shifting performance at lift speeds when one considers all the stress' involved in shifting at +7K rpm's and ~160 mph

Motor-off garage shifting will help; but real-world seat-time will be a whole different ball-game indeed.

I respect your 1/4 mile abilities Ranger . . . EVERYONE IN THE WORLD DOES (so did the guy from Thunder Racing, Louisiana to whom I sold a Silver '02 WS6 last Christmas)

I just happen to slightly disagree with your high-speed philosophies and offer a modified (no pun intended ) approach to driver-improvement.

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thee Dragon, Absolutely no need to have the motor running, when doing shifting practice, much less running 150-160 mph to practice the 4-5 shift.

Warm up the engine and drive line. Park the car. Shut down the motor and then do the Drills to Improve Your Shifting

1-2, 2-3, 3-4. Add the 4-5. repeat. Sets of five reps. Two sets per session. Two sessions per day. Every day. Simple. Safe. No wear-and-tear on the car. No traffic citations.

Ranger

Last edited by thee Dragon; 06-10-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Thanks!

Well done!

I really appreciate your post. We don't get to see stuff like that every day.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Awesome post congaman! One question, what exactly is involved in a Kellner M6? Is it turboed or supercharged?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

Hello.

Here is more info on the Kelleners M6:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97119

I beleive it will beat the Z06 in top speed, here is one GPS verified.

I was the one who organized the event, thansk Congaman for showing up and be generally helpful.

Congaman in action.

Originally Posted by bondmid003
Awesome post congaman! One question, what exactly is involved in a Kellner M6? Is it turboed or supercharged?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

thee Dragon, Sent you a PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

I think you just should wait until you see the movies.

Originally Posted by Fadis Z
Right, the RUF was I know, but from Congaman's post, it seems like before he missed a gear, he was ahead of the SLR and the CGT. That is pretty impressive for a intake and tuned Z06, no Gustav??..
Very interesting to watch the video!
hmm 5th gear is really slow on Z06(kills all the power!),but from the other side...How often do you drive over 260km\h?

Congraman`s Z06 is almost car,and still he managed to be faster till 260km\h that SLR and CGT and max tuned M6! Isnt it impressive?

What about LPE and Katech Z06 600+hp???
Which are still N\A and very streetable cars on 93oct...
Old 06-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Gustav
Hello.

Here is more info on the Kelleners M6:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97119

I beleive it will beat the Z06 in top speed, here is one GPS verified.
Yes, I belive it could......

Thanks Gustav for another great event........
Old 06-10-2007, 06:06 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
I think you just should wait until you see the movies.
When do we get to see the video's?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

When you buy alot of DVD and Bluray fro mthe first event

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81321

Out soon from Amazon.com

When do we get to see the video's?

Get notified of new replies

To Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts

Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

When you buy alot of DVD and Bluray fro mthe first event

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81321

Out soon from Amazon.com
No teaser vid's....so the event from the other day wil only be available on DVD?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Gustav
Intermediate

Everything will be seen on youtube as I have planned so far. But dependign how the sales go on the first event DVD / Bluray I might include / exclude more races. But most likely I will most everything.

From last event I psoted 26 races I beleive out of 37. The ones not psoted wher misshifts, weird startes et. But those are on the DVD / Bluray.

No teaser vid's....so the event from the other day wil only be available on DVD?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Everything will be seen on youtube as I have planned so far. But dependign how the sales go on the first event DVD / Bluray I might include / exclude more races. But most likely I will most everything.

From last event I psoted 26 races I beleive out of 37. The ones not psoted wher misshifts, weird startes et. But those are on the DVD / Bluray.
Very cool....What about HD DVD?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shootout on the Airstrip in Sweden- Z06 Vs the World - Resaults and thoughts