Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
That does it dang-it. Carlos, I just ordered a Vette-Air!
Thank you very much John, your order has shipped and you should have a shipment confirmation in your email inbox.

Carlos
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
Looking at your design, I still think it will increase underhood pressure at higher speeds since there is no "air-tight' seal there, but at street speeds won't be noticable. If I were at a track, I would remove the back hood seal to help relieve some of that pressure and prevent any front end lightness at track speeds. By the way, where do you get the foil faced bubble insulation, R14 rated? I can see some other uses for that stuff!
That won't help. The back hood seal is in a high pressure area, and removing it will push more air in underhood, not relieve pressure.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Excellent work, modshack! I'm considering the vette air unit also.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
zo6 liberty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will it work as good in a k&n intake system and what is the gain in whp ?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zo6 liberty
will it work as good in a k&n intake system and what is the gain in whp ?
The Vette-Air works with ANY open filter element and with your stock set up as well.

Folks are typically seeing between 8 and 10 rwhp on the dyno with a fan. More gains can be felt on the road as air rushes into your AIS as the vehicle begins to breath deeper and deeper.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 PM
zo6 liberty
Advanced

thanks carlos
i am placing an order soon
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I have the Halltech Killer Bee intake and soon the e-tune next Tuesday. Offers the same benefits as Vararam, but less money for us that already have intakes. I would imagine the same gains as the vararam too.

I ordered the Air Charger tonight..looking forward to getting more cool air into my Killer bee set-up.

-R. Sanford
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by UTVOL06
I have the Halltech Killer Bee intake and soon the e-tune next Tuesday. Offers the same benefits as Vararam, but less money for us that already have intakes. I would imagine the same gains as the vararam too.

I ordered the Air Charger tonight..looking forward to getting more cool air into my Killer bee set-up.

-R. Sanford
My Killer Bee in in UPS as we speak (Thanks Carlos!). We're doing a Haltech Venom and Vette-Air install in Zpirates car at my house tomorrow.. We're both anticipating nice gains...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Modshack
My Killer Bee in in UPS as we speak (Thanks Carlos!). We're doing a Haltech Venom and Vette-Air install in Zpirates car at my house tomorrow.. We're both anticipating nice gains...
Cool. Keep us posted amigo
Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I was just looking at my killer bee intake and how it has a flat bottom and open sides unlike the stock open bottom intake. The bottom of the killer bee points down to where the air charger would be open. Wouldn't the outside air just be blowing in on the flat closed bottom of the killer bee intake rather than blowing in on the sides? I guess it still benefits from getting cooler air into the same compartment?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
That won't help. The back hood seal is in a high pressure area, and removing it will push more air in underhood, not relieve pressure.
That's funny, when at the track I always have some of my washer fluid running up the windsheild from under the hood. Also, several racers at Spring Mtn advised that I remove the seal to relieve the pressure (and heat) under the hood at high speed. To each his own I guess............
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

I was just looking at my killer bee intake and how it has a flat bottom and open sides unlike the stock open bottom intake. The bottom of the killer bee points down to where the air charger would be open. Wouldn't the outside air just be blowing in on the flat closed bottom of the killer bee intake rather than blowing in on the sides? I guess it still benefits from getting cooler air into the same compartment?
Yes you still get the benifit. Also, when you mount it, rest your killer bee filter UP against the frame...don't push the filter all the way down towards the shroud.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
That's funny, when at the track I always have some of my washer fluid running up the windsheild from under the hood. Also, several racers at Spring Mtn advised that I remove the seal to relieve the pressure (and heat) under the hood at high speed. To each his own I guess............
Actually, we tested this on a C5. Try it yourself and see. Just pull the seal off, and scotch tape some strings to the edge of the hood where the seal is removed. Now drive at speed and you'll see the strings will be going into the engine bay.

The windshield fluid is responding to the high pressure at the base of the windshield, and as the hood is sealed is going where it can.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:29 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Yes you still get the benifit. Also, when you mount it, rest your killer bee filter UP against the frame...don't push the filter all the way down towards the shroud.

Thanks,
Carlos
I tried, but after a ride around town it fell back down on the radiator shroud. Don't know what I can do to keep it resting up higher.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:41 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

I tried, but after a ride around town it fell back down on the radiator shroud. Don't know what I can do to keep it resting up higher.
Yes you can, there is a groove on the frame itself that catches the filter lip and it stays there

Regardless, you are getting air in there, and your Killer Bee is now getting cooler air. You want to see further proof? Check out your AIT readings with a Tech II or HP Tuners with the VA cover and then uncovered

Trust me amigo, it works. Remember, the simple of things often work the best

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Yes you can, there is a groove on the frame itself that catches the filter lip and it stays there

We just now finished up Zpirates install, and the filter seems to be staying up..At least on our initial run. If if does not, I'll come up with a simple fix. My Killer Bee is due in Monday so I'll have more time to play with it then..
Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed mine yesterday and let me tell you the little sucker battled me pretty good but its in there now... Im using the K&N Aircharger with my setup took it up to 150 and the gains were very nice. A few questions does the top of your vette air sit straight with the top of the bumper cover? Mine is a lil off... Also the clips that hold the stock plastic shroud in place wont hold it in place anymore is this normal or should i get a new set of clips? Thanks guys...

R.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>

Old 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Modshack
We just now finished up Zpirates install, and the filter seems to be staying up..At least on our initial run. If if does not, I'll come up with a simple fix. My Killer Bee is due in Monday so I'll have more time to play with it then..
I know you'll come up with something Mr. fabricator

Actually, there is small opening that runs across the whole frame of these cars, the filter can be placed to rest in there and thus allow for even more air to enter the party.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Evilness
I installed mine yesterday and let me tell you the little sucker battled me pretty good but its in there now... Im using the K&N Aircharger with my setup took it up to 150 and the gains were very nice. A few questions does the top of your vette air sit straight with the top of the bumper cover? Mine is a lil off... Also the clips that hold the stock plastic shroud in place wont hold it in place anymore is this normal or should i get a new set of clips? Thanks guys...

R.
On the clips, I had the same problem, on both my car and Zpirates. They are pretty cheezy and the front of the shroud flops around. I had a few better ones that I had removed from the front wheel liner when I put my bra snaps on...These hold much better. if you don't have any, most auto supply stores, or even Home Depot in the hardware drawers will have 1/4" Push pin type plastic rivets..
Best to make that part stable with better clips...

Here's a link to John's post on the Vett-Air we put in today: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1782801

Last edited by Modshack; 08-11-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Actually, we tested this on a C5. Try it yourself and see. Just pull the seal off, and scotch tape some strings to the edge of the hood where the seal is removed. Now drive at speed and you'll see the strings will be going into the engine bay.

The windshield fluid is responding to the high pressure at the base of the windshield, and as the hood is sealed is going where it can.

That was my point, the hood was NOT sealed, and the washer fluid cap is under the hood. The fluid was splashing out and being pushed to the windsheild by the hot air under there. I'm talking speeds of 100+ MPH at a track. If the air was going into the hood, the fluid would never show up on the windshield. I don't doubt at lower speeds the high pressure area at the intersection of the hood and windsheild would help force air under the hood, as in the "cowl induction" hoods on the '69 SS Camaros, and '74/'75 Vettes. However, I think as speed builds, the pressure differential (becomes greater under the hood) changes somewhere around 80-90 MPH.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vette-Air Install and Cold Air Box mods for the Z06..>