Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 7:32 Porsche GT2 Ring lap time, flying start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
difflvl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the "showroom stock" Z that ran around the ring. Doesn't look stock to me.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Moto
Instructor

Originally Posted by difflvl
Here is the "showroom stock" Z that ran around the ring. Doesn't look stock to me.

Nice seats! Then again, if I was going to try and set a ring record, I would want to be any seat other than the stock Z06 seat!

I guess the weight savings from the Sparco are offset by the extra weight of the test equipment.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No even close to me...
All I know is if I had the 7.0 and a Little wimpy GT2 stepped up , I would be taking his lunch money...
Tired of that same ole Egg shape look...
Flame Suit on for the Porsche Girls....
Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
No even close to me...
All I know is if I had the 7.0 and a Little wimpy GT2 stepped up , I would be taking his lunch money...
Tired of that same ole Egg shape look...
Flame Suit on for the Porsche Girls....
Haven't driven a Gt2 huh. My friend has one and they are no joke. I'm sure the 997GT2 is far more wicked as it's 7:32 rimg time suggests.

As a heads up

A Lexus LF-A mule has unofficially recorded a lap time on the Nordschleife of 7 minutes, 24 seconds. This is not in dispute. What is in dispute is how many seconds faster the LF-A's lap time is than that of the 2008 Porsche 911 GT2, the previous "King of the 'Ring" record holder. Wikipedia notes that the fastest 911 GT2 driven around the Ring posted a lap time of 7 minutes, 32 seconds and was driven by Walter Röhrl, Porsche's company test driver and accomplished WRC driver and road racing pilot. Porsche was so proud of the feat that it produced a snazzy video of the run that you can watch here. AutoExpress, however, which reported on the LF-A's remarkable lap time, claims that the fastest 911 GT2 lap time on the Nurburgring is 7 minutes, 25 seconds, but we could find no evidence on the web of a stock 911 GT2 ever posting a time that fast. Also note that a handful of other cars have posted lap times, but all are either tuner cars or limited production boutique cars like the Pagani Zonda F.

Nevertheless, the Lexus LF-A's time is remarkable and puts it in a class normally populated by purpose-built tuner cars. Its 4.8L V10 churns out a reported 552bhp while slapping the needle against a 9,000 rpm redline. A 210 mph top speed is said to be the car's upper bound, which makes us shake our heads. This is, after all, the brand that brought us the sarcophagus of a car that is the LS sedan. The production LF-A should be able to repeat the performance, but we'll have to wait a while longer while the Lexus supercar finishes baking in the oven. In the meantime, for Pete's sake, someone ship a Corvette ZR1 to Germany!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
TTC5Z
Racer

Originally Posted by 355Spider
. In the meantime, for Pete's sake, someone ship a Corvette ZR1 to Germany!
Many previous mentions in autorags of the ZR1 mules being at the Ring during '07.

Its the Ring times of the ZR1 that are being held tight by GM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 7:32 Porsche GT2 Ring lap time, flying start?