Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] why so many used Z06s?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:48 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Buyning a Corvette isn't a rational transportation decision, so why would you expect the selling decisions to be any more rational?

I have 13,500 on mine and haven't had a problem. I will probably keep it for at least 50,000 more miles.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bristol
The car scares the **it out of a great many guys who never have driven anything as fast, so they sell.

There is always a small percentage of guys who sell for this reason (SMALL PERCENTAGE) or their old lady is scared of the car, etc., and bugs the crap out her old man that he should go trade it in for a C6 Convertible and he breaks down and does it (VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE)!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-19-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:10 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default some say

Originally Posted by clutchdust
first, already searched so don't flame me.

as awesome as the new Z is, i seem to see quite a few on dealer lots that already have 2k-5k miles on them. what's going on? and why are people buying them and then trading them? is it just too much power for the average owner? is there some kind of problem?
i'm a long way from actually being able to own one but it sure is nice to see them out there.
some are returned because the owners/drivers think it is too much car,and so they trade them in for a non-z06.....
Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 AM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that there were a lot of '06 and '07 impulse buys on the Z06, and the ones who weren't really Corvette fans or true Performance car fans sold or traded when the novelty wore off....
Old 11-19-2007, 03:24 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartley
Lots of people used home equity purchase high end toys. Now that mortgages are resetting and home values are dropping, these people are waking up to just what they did and are unloading their toys. RV's, boats, motorcycles, etc are all in the same boat so to speak.

It's not going to be pretty for next couple years.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
There are as many reasons as there are owners. Just enjoy.

Everyone may want the 2009. Once it comes out the depreciation may be too much for some. I don't really know why.
At one ZR1 per dealership and at over $100k, how many do you think will be able to buy them?

Last edited by vetdude; 11-19-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like this type of ad:

"Vette for sale. I decided to buy a house (or another purchase) and need the money. The Vette has $5000 worth of mods."

Some people are pathetic with money. Judging by the current credit crunch, most people are pathetic with money. There are so many things wrong with that type of ad....

1. You rent and bought a 65K+ car?????? Your net worth is probably negative at this point. Judging by that decision alone you're probably not good with stocks, IRA's, and land (etc......) so I know your money isn't tied up there.

2. How much thougt did you put into the purchase? Did you think you would never want/need a house?

3. You made a dumb purchase and then laid out $5000 more in mods (probably on credit) which are probably worth a 1/3 their original value????

Hopefully one day schools/parents will get good at teaching finance 101. But until then, cheap Vettes for everyone
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by fiveodude
I like this type of ad:

"Vette for sale. I decided to buy a house (or another purchase) and need the money. The Vette has $5000 worth of mods."

Some people are pathetic with money. Judging by the current credit crunch, most people are pathetic with money. There are so many things wrong with that type of ad....

1. You rent and bought a 65K+ car?????? Your net worth is probably negative at this point. Judging by that decision alone you're probably not good with stocks, IRA's, and land (etc......) so I know your money isn't tied up there.

2. How much thougt did you put into the purchase? Did you think you would never want/need a house?

3. You made a dumb purchase and then laid out $5000 more in mods (probably on credit) which are probably worth a 1/3 their original value????

Hopefully one day schools/parents will get good at teaching finance 101. But until then, cheap Vettes for everyone
OR, why not just be up front about the sale: "I made a stupid imulse purchase and now I have to sell my car because I'm losing my *** and can't afford to keep it."
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can't all be rational when buying this type of car. I mean C'mon this car is my net worth!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

My suspicion is that a lot of Corvette guys, especially on this board, who would otherwise be more rational, and for whom a 45,000 car is already a lot, over extended themselves to own the greatest corvette ever / only factory 427 since 1971 etc etc etc. Now they are waking up to high payments and/or the family is, so they are unloading it. Factor in high operating cost, the fact that this is too much car for many, and cars that mostly sit in the garage, and there you go. That is basically how I bought my C6Z from my brother in law, who is a doctor.

How stupid are people? I have a buddy who took out a 10% loan so he could buy a MB E55 ($85K car). The guy can't even qualify for a house and he needed to borrow $5K from me 2 months ago. Good thing I know where his dad lives and he's my college buddy. Plus I took his pregnant dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback) as collateral.

Last edited by TTRotary; 11-19-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
DirtyZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
How stupid are people? I have a buddy who took out a 10% loan so he could buy a MB E55 ($85K car). The guy can't even qualify for a house and he needed to borrow $5K from me 2 months ago. Good thing I know where his dad lives and he's my college buddy. Plus I took his pregnant dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback) as collateral.
At least you have a fine, expensive dog from the deal.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
BS

I had an '05 C6 and now have an '08 Z06. YES, the car has an incredible amount of HP, but it's the driver who dictates how fast the car goes.

Honestly, I can't see how owners with mods handle it as hooking up with the stock 505 is tough as it is. God this thing is fast, but I'm NOT trading mine.
Hooking it up with mods is a learned skill. It is the driver's job to get the power to the pavement! Most cars are modded for the upper gears performance.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveodude

Hopefully one day schools/parents will get good at teaching finance 101.
100%
Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude

At one ZR1 per dealership and at over $100k, how many do you think will be able to buy them?
LOL...they will sell EVERY single one of them in NO TIME>..
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

it is also a matter of percentages. Think of how many Z06's were made...I don't want to guesstimate the exact numbers (someone help me out here) so let's just say there were 5,000 made.

Let's say 10% of the owners that bought them simply got tired of them or decided to get something else...that is 500 of those for sale...not too many in my opinion.

Considering that at LEAST 10% of Z06 owners could and would and will get the new ZR1...that alone would answer your question.

Do another post to find out how many owners of C6Z06's use their cars as daily drivers...I bet you only 1 out of 10...if that.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 AM
WFO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
Everyone may want the 2009. Once it comes out the depreciation may be too much for some. I don't really know why.

Are they building the Z06 in 2009?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
WFO
Drifting

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
it is also a matter of percentages. Think of how many Z06's were made...I don't want to guesstimate the exact numbers (someone help me out here) so let's just say there were 5,000 made.

Let's say 10% of the owners that bought them simply got tired of them or decided to get something else...that is 500 of those for sale...not too many in my opinion.

Considering that at LEAST 10% of Z06 owners could and would and will get the new ZR1...that alone would answer your question.

Do another post to find out how many owners of C6Z06's use their cars as daily drivers...I bet you only 1 out of 10...if that.
I use mine as a daily driver...but then only do about 20 miles a day.

Hey, if you have that sweet a car how can you resist. It's crazy to store these beautiful machines.

Get notified of new replies

To why so many used Z06s?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by WFO
Are they building the Z06 in 2009?
Yes: C6; Z06; "ZR1" limited production
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

and why are people buying them and then trading them?
You've read the mags, reviews, tests. best in the world, period. then you buy one. you jack it up, crawl underneath it, take one look, and the voice of Peggy Lee starts singing in your head "Is that all there is?"

you find out purchasing the Z06 will not cure your baldness, your paunch will still be with you and you will still need your man-bra

your Z06 will not retard the growth of ear and nose hair

you need trifocals to read the information center data on the Z dash

you find out purchasing the Z06 is not the ----- magnet it is hyped up to be.

after purchasing your Z06 you learn indirectly that your co-workers, and boss, are extremely jealous of you. that's ok, until the raise pie is being divvied up.

driving the Z06 on I-95 between Washington and Stafford on the eve of the eve of Thanksgiving requires 40 miles of stop-start clutch work, not even Superman is up to that feat.

Your Z06 is like your wife, she may be the best, but that doesn't keep your wandering eye from ogling the competition, and wondering....

Your wife may love your Z06, but she still doesn't understand why you can't use it to take her to the grocery store, or shopping mall.

Your Z06 is like your Christmas toys, first thing you know you have discarded it and are playing with the packing boxes the toys came in.

You come downstairs every morning with the best of intentions, but when it comes time to choose the ride to work, the car with the AT always seems to have a better justification to use it.

and lastly, (and firstly), we are MEN, we want to experience every woman, and every car, ever made.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
You've read the mags, reviews, tests. best in the world, period. then you buy one. you jack it up, crawl underneath it, take one look, and the voice of Peggy Lee starts singing in your head "Is that all there is?"

you find out purchasing the Z06 will not cure your baldness, your paunch will still be with you and you will still need your man-bra

your Z06 will not retard the growth of ear and nose hair

you need trifocals to read the information center data on the Z dash

you find out purchasing the Z06 is not the ----- magnet it is hyped up to be.

after purchasing your Z06 you learn indirectly that your co-workers, and boss, are extremely jealous of you. that's ok, until the raise pie is being divvied up.

driving the Z06 on I-95 between Washington and Stafford on the eve of the eve of Thanksgiving requires 40 miles of stop-start clutch work, not even Superman is up to that feat.

Your Z06 is like your wife, she may be the best, but that doesn't keep your wandering eye from ogling the competition, and wondering....

Your wife may love your Z06, but she still doesn't understand why you can't use it to take her to the grocery store, or shopping mall.

Your Z06 is like your Christmas toys, first thing you know you have discarded it and are playing with the packing boxes the toys came in.

You come downstairs every morning with the best of intentions, but when it comes time to choose the ride to work, the car with the AT always seems to have a better justification to use it.

and lastly, (and firstly), we are MEN, we want to experience every woman, and every car, ever made.
Well done..........

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-21-2007 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] why so many used Z06s?