Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Motor Trend Buttunwillow: GTR - 1:56.9 Z06 - 2:02.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:12 AM
skyline_man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires tires tires...all excuses!! What you Z06 boys have to take into consideration is that the GTR used in that test used the inferior Dunlop all season tires instead of the Bridgestone run flats. This explains why the 0-60 and quarter mile times of the GTR was so slow compared with similar tests done by Edmunds with the Bridgestones!
So if the test GTR had the bridgestones in this test - it would've smoked the Z06 in the straight line sprint and demolished the Z06 by more than 5 sec around the track.

Finally, you Z06 boys have to take one last fact into consideration. In a real world situation on the street, at the lights - you only get one chance. ONE chance to prove your car's worth. With the GTR- it will do the quarter in 11.6, 11.7sec each and every time. No ifs, no buts. Good luck trying to get those times in your Z06 with one shot!!
I can clearly see Z06 owners winding down the window after a drag with a GTR owner and saying...."I didn't take off properly, the weather is still too cold for my tires, i didn't release the clutch properly...blah blah blah....can we have another drag?"

Last edited by skyline_man; 03-20-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 AM
95PoloGreen
Instructor

This is the same magazine that couldn't get the Z06 under 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile when it first came out. Lets see what C&D does when it does a test. GM has to put some better tires on the Z than the run craps that are on it now.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 AM
GetReal
Instructor

Originally Posted by obzidian
You do understand that in different countries, with different emission regulations and japan being tight about the amount of HP a car can have, there is such a thing as JDM spec, euro spec and U.S. spec.... right? I sure hope so.....

so your telling me that the awd system can be switched off? Also, funny you said that, you do also know that the z06 still sports pushrods and leafsprings...

OHHH!! I'm all for technology.. i have been a follower of the skyline since it's r32 days... i love the car then and i can honestly say that i like this as well...

but, here is where i draw a line.... you cannot compare the two in so many ways. You cannot tell me, like it was mentioned before, that you will run faster in a GTR will less driving skill than a z06 with the same amount of skill. IF that is our thing, and you want to live with all sorts of buttons, go ahead... i would as well... but i would categorize it differently. A viper is more like a z06... a GTR is more like what it was built to beat... a 997tt.

I think you need to research a bit more my friend... I may not be the smartest fukr in the world, but can surely see things for what they are.

To me, the GTR is like nitrous.... you won, but, where is the fun in it? You can juice anything pretty much with little to no work and it should hold. Now, building a n/a motor or a reliable FI setup is more like my cup of tea.
"Do a little more research about the car and it's specs and who/why it was built THEN try and say a JDM version is different from a EURO version is different from a US version is different from a Aussie version."

R.I.F
I never said that there wasn't a difference between JDM, US and Euro spec cars... I said the GTR was built differently, for a different purpose, that's why the GTR doesn't have any differences in specs. How can a private owner buy a GTR in Japan.. a JDM GTR.. and have it registered in Cali? Only thing I can think of is that it's already built to comply with US specs... makes sense to me. Yes, I know there is a difference between JDM, US and EURO specs... as well as the Japanese HP restrictions... moreso than you think. I have a cheap R34 GTT that would be a fun project car to bring back to the states (LS7 in ER34 (3108 lbs)= sweet!) but since it's JDM and was built for Japan, I would have to pay $11k to get it legal in the US... which would be a waste of money for me.

This new GTR was built for a different purpose. It was built for EVERYONE... not just Japan, understand? They made it a point to make this car world spec compliant... I'm guessing so it'll be easier/cheaper to pump them out... I dunno. I wish all car companies would do that.... I could buy and be driving a C6Z right here in Korea if it was that way.... instead of paying over 120k for a C6Z here.

So you're saying Japan has HP restrictions on the new GTR? The HP restrictions for Japan is 280hp. The GTR on Japanese dynos and advertised by nissan is well over the 280hp don't you agree? So please explain how they were able to bend the rules.... or has the rules changed? Yes.... a bit more research and you'll understand what I'm talking about. You're right in a sense but things are different from the R32-R34 days.

R.I.F
Nope, never said, "the AWD system can be switched off". I said the technology (which is vague I know ) meaning all the little switches, launch controls and nick nacks. This IS an AWD car.. that's not going to change. If it wasn't awd it would be the fat slow pig that every hater hope it will be.

R.I.F
I'm well aware of the fact that the C6 sports pushrods and leaf springs... this is the corvette forum, isn't it?! I never said the opposite. R.I.F. I wouldn't be a member if it wasn't for the C5, C6, C6Z, Zr1 and some classics. So are YOU saying that a diablosport programmer, superchips, hypertech and other chips (technology) are a waste of time for the C6 and takes away the driving aspect? Are you saing the C6 has the exact same leaf springs as a C5, C4 and vintage vettes? or do you think that GM used some technology to develop better stronger lighter leaf springs?

I agree when you say technically we shouldn't compare the two... they are very very different. The most similar thing that they have is their pricetag of their first release. Just to bring things to light, you were the one shaming the GTR because of it's technology and comparing the C6Z to the GTR Yes, you're not the smartest person in the world... neither am I... but appearances aren't everything... sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to find truths. Why is it most women look good in public and in pictures? Because they have all that war paint on. Scrub that off then you'll see what'll be waking up next to you.

The C6 is still my first choice for reasons we all know oh too well but I give respect where respect is due... I don't resort to chatter because I'm not getting as much attention as the GTR at the moment.

GTR is like nitrous?... where's the fun?.... That's as bad/way off point as saying the C6Z is just like a go cart... where's the practicality? We are talking about STOCK conditions... if you want to run on about modding start a different endless thread You're entitled to your "cup of tea" just as much as others are entitled to theirs. My cup of tea is ALL vehicles, ALL performance configurations, ALL designs, ALL drive types.... I just don't like to deprive myself by keeping on the straight narrow path with my blinders on My favorite is N/A V8motors... turbos and low displacement motors can never replace the sound of a 7.0 V8... but turbos and supercharges are fun too.

R.I.F = Reading Is Fundamental...

Last edited by GetReal; 03-20-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 AM
vtecnitian
Instructor

Originally Posted by skyline_man
Tires tires tires...all excuses!! What you Z06 boys have to take into consideration is that the GTR used in that test used the inferior Dunlop all season tires instead of the Bridgestone run flats. This explains why the 0-60 and quarter mile times of the GTR was so slow compared with similar tests done by Edmunds with the Bridgestones!
So if the test GTR had the bridgestones in this test - it would've smoked the Z06 in the straight line sprint and demolished the Z06 by more than 5 sec around the track.

Finally, you Z06 boys have to take one last fact into consideration. In a real world situation on the street, at the lights - you only get one chance. ONE chance to prove your car's worth. With the GTR- it will do the quarter in 11.6, 11.7sec each and every time. No ifs, no buts. Good luck trying to get those times in your Z06 with one shot!!
I can clearly see Z06 owners winding down the window after a drag with a GTR owner and saying...."I didn't take off properly, the weather is still too cold for my tires, i didn't release the clutch properly...blah blah blah....can we have another drag?"
yeah have fun setting up the launch control on it which takes several seconds to engage i know what the skyline owners escuse going to be,"wait i didn't have time to set my launch control" lol its alrerady been proven that it can't trap as high as the z06 so highway pulls are out the question. and drag is going to be about driver and if you get a z06 driver that can actually drive their see all skyline going to see is taillights. all that is seperating them is .2 in 0-60 and thats with awd launch then after that is all z06 remember your carring a few cows in that skyline. best skylines are the r32-r34 this one is just a imitation of greatness which doesn't even come close. once they lost their straight six they lost what being a skyline is all about.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 AM
GetReal
Instructor

Ay man, I take offence to "you Z06 Boys"... after all, this is a CORVETTE FORUM. That's also a good way to get yourself banned.... showing that you're not a part of CF. I respect the GTR, always did. Since you're from australia, why not hit the SAU forum? They're pretty good over there... not half as many pissing contests and they'll agree to most of what you're saying.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 AM
vtecnitian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vindication
I don't agree. You can't compare a NA car to a Factory Turbo/sc car and expect dollar to dollar bang for the buck mod. The turbo/sc car will win hands down everytime.

Pair of HKS Intakes - 500
Boost Controller - 600
Exhaust Turbo back - 2000

All that will be good for about 100-150 hp if you decide to run high boost and use higher octane. Z06 guys, time to worry. We are talking about the R34 15 years past the original release we might be talking about the GTR 15 years from today.
yeah except many mags have said the gtr doesnt like to be modded right now so throw in ecu upgrade in there too.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Instead of street racing drop one on road course in the NE and call me. I'll gladly show you the way around.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Some observations:

Didn't the Z51 beat the Porsche in the Lightning Lap? And now the Z06 is no faster than the Porsche?

If you look at the speed VS. distance chart, from the exact same speeds off the turns the GT-R at 700+ lbs. and -25 hp out accelerated the Z06. Kinda defying the laws of physics.

I know it's been mentioned here several times, but how can a fair shoot-out be done with a driver from one of the manufactures?

On configuration 18, I know for a fact the Z06 will run 1:51 flat. I’d bet that not using the sweeper and running down to the end of the straight to the hairpin would add 3-4 seconds/lap. That would imply (per R & T) running the 2 chicanes in configuration 13 would add 14-15 seconds/lap (to get a 2:02)…..NOT!

With the cornering speeds I definitely would question the validity of the GT-R tires and/or R & T’s data. If the Dunlop tires are not equivalent to PS cup tires, their much smaller than the Z06 tires and AWD or not, their still cornering a 4000 LB car.

Something's not right.....I believe that’s Road and Track

If Car and Driver performs the same comparison during the Lightning Lap, I sure hope (and believe they will) ensure the cars provided are ligit.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obzidian
i can only hope that you know that a nascar has more technology and innovation that anything this GTR has, right? Just because they "only" turn left.. it must be a piece a ****.. well, right?
Well, you have now confirmed, beyond a shadow of doubt, that you are clueless.

NASCAR and technology are words that do not go together. There is not a single piece of NASCAR's COT that advances the state of the art in automotive technology.

Stop talking, you're embarassing yourself.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Without question the COT is an unrefined pile. Remember that the car was designed by NASCAR not any of the teams. The teams hate it. Having said that, making that unrefined pile drive well is a daunting task.

Although telemetry and data aquisition are illeagal during the races, the teams run as much (if not more) telemetry and data aquisition than a F1team during testing. They are in the wind tunnel for hundreds of hours. They have top notch engineers. Rex Stump from Hendricks is smarter than most anyone F1 or any other series can provide. The Chevy teams use analytical tools provided by Pratt and Miller which is state of the art.

So relative to just the car, the technology is rock bottom. Relative to the teams trying to make it drive well requires a ton of state of the art technology.

So technology in NASCAR is very dependant on what perspective you are looking at.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
=TheStig=
Instructor

It's sad to see so many people getting personally "offended" by a great performance car like the new GT-R. It's not like you personally designed and built it.....why do you care?

Just appreciate it for what it is, a great car, and get on with your life.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 AM
DarkKnight Z
Instructor

The fact is, even if you take the best time of the C6 Z06 and compare it to the GT-R's 1:56, the GT-R still decisively beats it.

This is proof enough to me that around a tight course, the GT-R has the advantage.

On a bigger course with more straights, I think we'd see the 2 cars being very close or even the Z06 winning.

Like I said before, I don't track cars (besides the dragstrip) so all that really mattered to me was that the Z06 was able to keep up straightline, despite the GT-R's launch control and all wheel drive. And then after 110 the Z06 ripped it apart. I'm sure the gap widens as the speeds increase. This is what's important to me. And the other very important factor to me is that the GT-R in no way looks like an exotic/supercar. The Z06 is badass from every angle and a complete chick magnet. The GT-R will attract ricers and techno-geeks.

Both great cars. Just depends on what you want and realistically what $$$ you can get them for. For me to get a GT-R, I'd have to pay $90k+. My Z06 2LZ was around $71k. I'll be much more interested when the prices drop to sticker and below and the aftermarket scene is exploding.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this idiot needs to be banned
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
95PoloGreen
Instructor

In a video I saw recently about the Brits putting the GTR thru it's paces it was mentioned that the computer controls made it possible for even a average driver to drive this car as fast as a expert driver. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Nisson (Datsun). I have owned a 71 240Z, a 79 280ZX & a 89 Maxima & found them all to be great cars. What bothers me is that we are progresively allowing our cars become computer controlled as opposed to using the skills of the driver & this new GTR is the poster boy for that happening. Both cars cost about the same, although I'm sure mark ups will make the GTR cost 20K or more for the short term. But other costs have to be considered. I read posts on the forum about the computer controls on the C6 causing the car to do some strange things & they are quite primative compared to whats on the GTR. If a GTR has computer problems it could make the problem worse & what will the cost be to replace or fix the computer controls that make the GTR competitive or repair the AWD? Also remember that before you run the GTR you have to set the controls before you go which would negate that advantage if you don't have time to do so. For my money I would get the Z06 at msrp or under, mod it a bit (headers, pipes & computer tune) & take my chances against any GTR I may run up against. At least I would be in control of the car using my own skills rather than be a occupant of a computer driven robot.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fedaricko01
How much do you want to bet that the 2009 model year Z06 will come standard with better rubber. And I think that this test has finalized it. ;-)

Run craps has to go...

And i would not be surprised if the 09 Z06 comes with Magnetic Shocks or some type of Electronic damping to maintain in check the body motions......

The Z06 has no problems against the GT-R in straight line either from the blocks and much less from a roll...

Handling dynamics is the area were the GM engineers has to concentrate more..

No doubt that the Corvette Team are going to look closely at the results of this test....

I think the biggest challenge is how to make a 505hp 50/50 weight dist rear drive car put the power more efficiently out of the corners.....

My guess is better tires, better damping control and some type of electric differential like the one use in the F430.....

Now the ball is in the Corvette Team court...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Motor Trend Buttunwillow: GTR - 1:56.9 Z06 - 2:02.2