Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM's future and Z06/ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so you pump oil here it will still be governed by the world market prices. Don't think it would make that big of an impact the way India and China are using more evry year although it can't hurt.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
I think we've seen the zenith of car performance, at least in terms of engine HP. 10 years ago the Germans started an HP war that everyone got caught up in (heh, sounds familiar... ).

Every year the new models have had more power, including this one. Honestly, I believe that after the 2009 model year you will not see any more bumps in power from any car manufacturer. The gas prices have hit too hard and too fast.

So, boys and girls, time to buy a Z06 or ZR1 or whatever else floats your boat 'cause that's all she wrote on the power front...there ain't no more.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
adydula
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Drilling Off Florida???

http://www.newswithviews.com/Ryter/jon143.htm

http://mpinkeyes.wordpress.com/2008/...merica-doesnt/

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...-to-drill.html

http://havanajournal.com/business/en...ulf-of-mexico/

http://socialize.morningstar.com/New...d/2520933.aspx

Enjoy....
Old 07-04-2008, 08:02 PM
TomC
Pro

I didn't think I was stuttering when I said China is not drilling off Florida.

On June 12, 2008, The Miami Herald published a piece putting to rest once and for all the right wing initiated rumor of China drilling off the Florida coast. In this article, Sen. Martinez (R-FL), states unequivocally that this is not true. Once again, only the far right is still trying to push this meme.

http://www.miamiherald.com/campaign08/story/567156.html
Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Certainly are a lot of diverse opinions in this thread. But getting back to Corvettes, I now know that Corvettes are for conservatives. I never even knew that
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 PM
lthrneck
Racer

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Certainly are a lot of diverse opinions in this thread. But getting back to Corvettes, I now know that Corvettes are for conservatives. I never even knew that
Glad you learned something, maybe there is hope for you.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TomC
I didn't think I was stuttering when I said China is not drilling off Florida.

On June 12, 2008, The Miami Herald published a piece putting to rest once and for all the right wing initiated rumor of China drilling off the Florida coast. In this article, Sen. Martinez (R-FL), states unequivocally that this is not true. Once again, only the far right is still trying to push this meme.

http://www.miamiherald.com/campaign08/story/567156.html
It is rather a pity that you and the Miami Herald are incorrect though.

Are you and the Herald next going to contend that China doesn't have observation facitilies in Longbeach - or that they dont control the Panama Canal either?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:59 PM
TomC
Pro

Originally Posted by RC45
It is rather a pity that you and the Miami Herald are incorrect though.

Are you and the Herald next going to contend that China doesn't have observation facitilies in Longbeach - or that they dont control the Panama Canal either?
Indeed, there is a pity. Can you recognize who that might apply to? Even Cheney's office disagrees with your bold assessment.

Cheney's false comment on oil drilling attacked

By H. JOSEF HEBERT – Jun 12, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...7O8vAD91906B80
Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TomC
Indeed, there is a pity. Can you recognize who that might apply to? Even Cheney's office disagrees with your bold assessment.

Cheney's false comment on oil drilling attacked

By H. JOSEF HEBERT – Jun 12, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...7O8vAD91906B80
Then whose rigs are those? Jamaica's?

I am guessing this is alos the first time you have ever quoted Cheney - or believed anything his office published.BTW, i fyou read the AP piece it appears many ar emissing the point:

"There is no actual drilling yet. ... There is exploration," said Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow on energy and Latin America at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
No drilling... just exploration... seems like hair splitting.

The point is US companies may not drill or explore in that same location.

The last 20 years saw China build almost 300 coal fired power stations.. to power manufacturing shipped offshore from the west - manufacturing that sold goods back to the same west... so not only was the manufacturing lost, but the cash to buy the goods flowed straight back to China. The Panama Canal was signed away etc etc. Did no-one consider the long term?

China sure was.

Also, a cursary search will reveale that Cuba, Venezuela and China have had exploration agreements in place since 2000 - 8 years before Cheney said anything. Thi sis no tnew news - it has just been ignored news.

I am saddened by the egos that would rather have partisan arguments and debates and then brag about who "won the debate" - while the freaking US of A is crumbling around us.

This country is still the greatest place on earth, and the freedoms and priviledges are without equal... yet all this is for nought if the bickering, infighting and ego's involved on both side of the aisle and both side of the street in suburbia can't work together to solve these solvable issues.

That is the saddest part of all.

I'm outa here, to enjoy my Corvette while I still can

Last edited by RC45; 07-05-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 PM
TomC
Pro

OK, so you think Cheney is lying. That's fine with me, but I don't think Cheney is the kind to shrink from a position unless he knows he's wrong.

But as long as you know better than the VP....
Old 07-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Suaveat69
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
so you pump oil here it will still be governed by the world market prices. Don't think it would make that big of an impact the way India and China are using more evry year although it can't hurt.
Your right it can't hurt.
BUt....What happens when supply increaes and demand remians stagnate? What would happen to the price of oil if we announced that we are drilling in ANWAR, Gulf, on the coasts and in the shale deposits? The price of oil would come down. The speculators would not want to holding oil at x price and be stuck with it when it comes down. The announcement that Congress was opening the way for domestic production would lead to downward pressure on oil prices. Why do you think Bush went to Saudi Arabia in May-to aks them to increase production which they cut 2-3 time in a 1-2 years.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Suaveat69
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nigeria just signed a 100 year contract to drill in the Gulf. We are the only country in th world thatis not tapping it's new found resources.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, China has not started to drill of our coast yet, but they have signed a contract with Cuba for a parcel 60 miles off our coast to explore and drill for oil and gas. They will be drilling in the near future.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:39 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSickZ06
GM going bankrupt? Sure...............
Ummm.....

Chrysler (government loan saved them until the Germans bought and dumped them)
Packard
Tucker
Desoto
Studibaker
AMC

Some were bought in the death throws but result was the same.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
adydula
Intermediate

Gee Tom,

One moment Cheny is not telling the truth and then one moment he is.. ya cant have it both ways you seem to dislike the man but are willing to like him when it suits your argument. Or you believe him when it suits your position. Nice.

Again here is a side that is wrapped around blame and petty crap. While we go down the tubes....let others EXPLORE, wonder why they are doing that??, drill and exploit nearby resources and we sit here listening to the libs saying "NO!!!!" More taxes, more limits, more bandaids....more NO's...

Again, lets conserve, lets drill, lets build more refineries and do more oil shale, coal and the like...to help out until we can get to the alternatives...if we did this is the 70's we wouldnt be having this conversation...

Or will we let it pass again and become a third rate nation.....we cant conserve our way out of this either.....wait until we have to pay for roads repairs and all that stuff that comes from OIL....at these prices we will bankrupt the American Dream, and we all will be unemployed and there will be no Gas for your vette, liberal or conservative...

America wake up, just stay here and keep placing blame on good old George...this surely will help us out of our high GAS prices....OR put a real energy action plan together that increases supply, and sends a blast to the Arab Oil Cartel that we arent going to stand by amd take it anymore...

A.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,414 Likes on 614 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
Keep buying foreign and you will do your part in ASSURING they will!!!

I ALWAYS bought American made cars until 2006. That's when I got rid of my 2002 POS Monte Carlo and bought a Honda.

I am NOT going to waste my hard earned salary to be loyal to a car company that makes crap.

Screw GM, make a good product and I'll support you, offer crap to me for my money and they can pound sand.

My Honda is the best new car I have ever owned. I work too hard for my money to NOT get what I pay for...

Once more............ SCREW GM
Old 07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I ALWAYS bought American made cars until 2006. That's when I got rid of my 2002 POS Monte Carlo and bought a Honda.

I am NOT going to waste my hard earned salary to be loyal to a car company that makes crap.

Screw GM, make a good product and I'll support you, offer crap to me for my money and they can pound sand.

My Honda is the best new car I have ever owned. I work too hard for my money to NOT get what I pay for...

If you think Honda is perfect drop by the transmission shop I went to. They are swa[[ed with tranny problems on Hondas from the dealer and cars with even 20-40K

Get notified of new replies

To GM's future and Z06/ZR1

Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 PM
40thC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glennm27

Then why are we posting on a pro GM website,
or are we just here to flame???
Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 40thC4
Then why are we posting on a pro GM website,
or are we just here to flame???
T'aint pro GM, it is pro Corvette. Doncha' remember the logic you were taught in schools?

All GM lovers love Corvettes, but not all Corvette lovers love GM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:52 PM
40thC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
T'aint pro GM, it is pro Corvette. Doncha' remember the logic you were taught in schools?

All GM lovers love Corvettes, but not all Corvette lovers love GM.
yes.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM's future and Z06/ZR1