Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is it harmful to rev your z06 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

:
Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
You need to warm it up before you abuse it.
thats funny
Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
^ROCKSTAR^
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
next question will be posted on : I just got married what should i do on my wedding night .com
Next question for you would be:

I'm 50 and still a virgin because I'm too damn ugly to get a hot girlfriend so I need to drive a c6 and that still doesn't pull chicks so I'll never get married, what do I do.com

Last edited by ^ROCKSTAR^; 11-11-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
^ROCKSTAR^
Burning Brakes

I just want to thank everybody that came in this thread and provided helpful and substantial information pertaining to my topic..

I figured the few occasional A** clowns would drop in and add their 2 cents but that's to be expected on these forums..

To all the people that were helpful though I just want to say thank you.

Moderators..you can close this thread.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob53
My simple minded understanding is this -

Under no load, at high revs, there are tremendous stresses on the connection point between the connecting rod and piston at the piston due to the huge changes in acceleration with no opposing force (no load) at the top and bottom of travel when it changes direction.

So yes, revving the motor at high RPM a lot while not moving forward is not good for the motor.

Originally Posted by jam313

This is correct. There is no load on the motor when you are revving it at idle which puts much more stress on what is mentioned above.

Doing it with cold oil temps just makes it that much worse.

You guys are kiddin' right? A motor under load is just what it means...LOAD. Revving to 7000 rpm under LOAD is much more stressful on your engine than revving it to 7000 rpm under NO LOAD. You guys are just spreading an old wives tale.

And BTW, piston acceleration is at maxmium at mid stroke, not at TDC or BDC where it is in fact at zero acceleration. On the compression stroke, the piston begins to decelerate once it reaches mid stroke until it is fully decelerated to 0 at TDC. And acceleration is a function of piston velocity and rpm...it does not vary with load.

Just an example...

On the compression sroke, the rod is trying to force the piston upwards against compression. Therefore, the more the compression (load) the greater the stresses on the rod and journal beaings. And of course this is also true on the power stroke.

So let's stop telling people revving under no load is worse than under load. That is jibber jabber.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

agree with above ^^^ seems like voodoo to me. lets hear from some engineers on the topic rather than some shade tree mechanics. katech? lg?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
shebly
4th Gear

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...celeration.htm

Velocity is zero at TDC and BDC. Acceleration is maximum.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigbucks
and btw, piston acceleration is at maxmium at mid stroke, not at tdc or bdc where it is in fact at zero acceleration. On the compression stroke, the piston begins to decelerate once it reaches mid stroke until it is fully decelerated to 0 at tdc. And acceleration is a function of piston velocity and rpm...it does not vary with load.
so let's stop telling people revving under no load is worse than under load. That is jibber jabber.
Originally Posted by shebly

velocity is zero at tdc and bdc. Acceleration is maximum.
BINGO!

Free-revving your engine under zero load is MUCH LESS stressful. It never ceases to amaze me at the old-skool (spelled wrong purposely) mentality so abundantly strong across the internet.

Last edited by RWTD; 11-11-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Good link. Velocity is the distance of an object over time (mph)
Acceleration is the change of velocity of an object over time
Even though a piston is momentarily not moving at tdc, the rate of change of velocity is at it's highest.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob53
My simple minded understanding is this -

Under no load, at high revs, there are tremendous stresses on the connection point between the connecting rod and piston at the piston due to the huge changes in acceleration with no opposing force (no load) at the top and bottom of travel when it changes direction.

So yes, revving the motor at high RPM a lot while not moving forward is not good for the motor.

You guys are kiddin' right? A motor under load is just what it means...LOAD. Revving to 7000 rpm under LOAD is much more stressful on your engine than revving it to 7000 rpm under NO LOAD. You guys are just spreading an old wives tale.

And BTW, piston acceleration is at maxmium at mid stroke, not at TDC or BDC where it is in fact at zero acceleration. On the compression stroke, the piston begins to decelerate once it reaches mid stroke until it is fully decelerated to 0 at TDC. And acceleration is a function of piston velocity and rpm...it does not vary with load.

Just an example...

On the compression sroke, the rod is trying to force the piston upwards against compression. Therefore, the more the compression (load) the greater the stresses on the rod and journal beaings. And of course this is also true on the power stroke.

So let's stop telling people revving under no load is worse than under load. That is jibber jabber.
not sure you fully understand how everything works...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the only place to rev to 5000+ RPMs is on the track or dyno.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
I wouldn't make it a habit to free rev the car at idle, regardless of oil/coolant temp. I see these idiots at these saturday night car meets that free rev like near the limiter (some bouncing off), and I'm just cringing maybe rev it to 4000 or something, but save the 5K+ for actual in gear situations
Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

Velocity is zero at TDC and BDC and therefore acceleration is also zero. If acceleration is delta V over delta T, since delta V is zero, acceleration is zero.

The largest change in piston velocity per unit time occurs at mid-stroke, therefore acceleration is at maximum.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

Originally Posted by Bigbucks

Velocity is zero at TDC and BDC and therefore acceleration is also zero. If acceleration is delta V over delta T, since delta V is zero, acceleration is zero.

The largest change in piston velocity per unit time occurs at mid-stroke, therefore acceleration is at maximum.
I retract the above statement and the BS flags. Piston acceleration is at maximum at TDC and BDC and zero at mid-stroke.

I had to plot the values myself to see it.

Nevertheless, I stand by the position that running at max rpm under load is more stressful than running at the same rpm under no (or little) load. To suggest otherwise is nonsensical.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 AM
explorerthis
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ^ROCKSTAR^
I just want to thank everybody that came in this thread and provided helpful and substantial information pertaining to my topic..

I figured the few occasional A** clowns would drop in and add their 2 cents but that's to be expected on these forums..

Yeah assclowns....Your the one revving you cold start z06 to 7k to impress your friends....and we are the assclowns....Go buy a ricer you already have the mentality....
Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 PM
shebly
4th Gear

As can be
seen in this figure, the maximum of total load magnitude,
which is equal to the maximum of bending load
decreases as the engine speed increases. The reason
for this situation refers to the load sources that exist in
the engine at 355 degree crank angle. At this crank
angle these two forces act in opposite directions. The
force caused by combustion which is greater than the
inertia load does not change at different engine speeds
since the same pressure versus crankshaft angle is
used for all engine speeds. The load caused by inertia
increases in magnitude as the engine speed increases.
Therefore, as the engine speed increases, a larger
magnitude of inertia force is deducted from the
combustion load, resulting in a DECREASE of the total load magnitude.

http://www.eng.utoledo.edu/mime/peop...07-01-0258.pdf
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

As can be
seen in this figure, the maximum of total load magnitude,
which is equal to the maximum of bending load
decreases as the engine speed increases. The reason
for this situation refers to the load sources that exist in
the engine at 355 degree crank angle. At this crank
angle these two forces act in opposite directions. The
force caused by combustion which is greater than the
inertia load does not change at different engine speeds
since the same pressure versus crankshaft angle is
used for all engine speeds. The load caused by inertia
increases in magnitude as the engine speed increases.
Therefore, as the engine speed increases, a larger
magnitude of inertia force is deducted from the
combustion load, resulting in a DECREASE of the total load magnitude.

that clears it up
Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

The force caused by combustion which is greater than the inertia load does not change at different engine speeds since the same pressure versus crankshaft angle is used for all engine speeds. The load caused by inertia increases in magnitude as the engine speed increases.
Therefore, as the engine speed increases, a larger magnitude of inertia force is deducted from the combustion load, resulting in a DECREASE of the total load magnitude.

Exactly my point. The combustion load is greater than the inertia load due to piston movement. So then, at max load (throttle wide open - max torque), the total load on the engine rotating parts (bearings, journals, etc) is at its maximum, and with no (or little) load the stress on the engine is less. So revving at 7000 rpm with minimal hp is less stressful than running the engine at 7000 rpm at 500 hp.

And BTW, running the engine faster (for a given combustion load) reduces the total load on the engine according to the article cited above. Of course, the article doesn't indicate what happens as combustion load is varied for a given speed. They used WOT for the analysis and concluded that the resulting load was greater than the inertia load. Therefore, as the throttle is closed, the combustion load is likewise reduced and since it is a larger component of total load than is inertia, the total load will decrease as engine loading is reduced.

Ergo, reving an engine under no load is less stressful than running at the same speed under load.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it harmful to rev your z06 engine?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:01 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ^ROCKSTAR^

Right -- but the biggest A** clown in this thread being you...maybe think about your actions before denigrating others here. You so remind me of those HD riders constantly blipping the throttle to impress others with the "bada**" sound of a bike that has nothing under the hood, but just sounds like a lot of noise. Only difference here, is that under the Vette's hood lies a monster, just waiting to be wrecked by someone like you revving the **** out of it in neutral.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Right -- but the biggest A** clown in this thread being you...maybe think about your actions before denigrating others here. You so remind me of those HD riders constantly blipping the throttle to impress others with the "bada**" sound of a bike that has nothing under the hood, but just sounds like a lot of noise. Only difference here, is that under the Vette's hood lies a monster, just waiting to be wrecked by someone like you revving the **** out of it in neutral.
easy son that harley sound is an american anthem and thats the name of that tune
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

The most important thing is if the motor is cold you can spin a bearing in a heart beat. Same thing goes even when under a load let the car get up to running temp coolant (180) and oil temp (160). Is pretty simple to know how long it takes, just pull up your temps on the DIC and see how long it takes. Don't watch the analog gauge. This is an easy way to due severe damage. This is engine 101 stuff.

Last edited by LPE385; 11-13-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is it harmful to rev your z06 engine?