Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1 blower on a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 blower on a Z06

When will the ZR1 blower be available and what will it take to get it running on a Z06, other than new heads and a lower compression ratio?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Ok, you've captured my interest.

Red Cell.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM
o6zo6vette
Burning Brakes

Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

i doubt it. but regardless........i would have to assume that there are about a dozen cheaper and more effective options........
Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 PM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rez90
i doubt it. but regardless........i would have to assume that there are about a dozen cheaper and more effective options........
There aren't a dozen options. Only MTI"s...........
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ZR1 uses an Eaton blower but I'm not sure its a TVS model.

If the ZR1 blower is a TVS series, and the water-air cooler really is efficient, it'd be a nice product to drop in a Z. Even then I imagine you'd need a pretty big pulley to keep the boost down to 4-6 psi.

Anyone have hard numbers on water-air intercooling?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:12 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

The LS9 and LS7 have different intake port shapes and locations, it will not be a direct bolt-on. The lower intake manifold would have to be custom made to adapt it to the LS7.

Also, the serpentine belt setup is completely different as well. The LS9 has a wider belt, and a different route. It also uses two belts.

The LS9 is a TVS style blower, by the way.

I've been speaking with Magnacharger, they estimate an LS7 setup might be ready around March 09. I'm looking forward to that. I've had APS twin-turbos, and two Magna combos. Both are excellent, the Magna is just much easier to install.

Tony
Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Callaway told me that they are testing a LS7 kit now, but the release date isn't going to be until after the holidays. I am sure that they and Magnusson are working together on this kit.

Also the ZR1 supercharger could be installed on a LS7 if one swapped out the heads to a set of LS3/L92 heads which are plentiful and cheap to purchase. If the heads are swaped it would be a direct bolt on. I doubt much power would be lost because the blower would overcome any cylinder head ineffeciencies. The other issue to make this work would be to get all the drive parts, the intercooler parts and controls. It could be done but its not going to be cheap. All the parts are available from your local GM dealer.

Originally Posted by zo6landrocket
You could get a Kenne Bell kit, swap out the LS7 heads with some old school big runner cathedral port heads and bolt it on. Or go and get a set of LS3 heads and bolt on a Maggie kit for a LS3 car which from what I have head can be upgraded to a TVS1900. Which has the exact same bolt pattern as a MP122 blower. It would be a easy swap.

Last edited by tjwong; 11-27-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 AM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Heads, accessory drives and compression are obvious. I am wondering about any of the controls that might be required.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

When will the ZR1 blower be available and what will it take to get it running on a Z06, other than new heads and a lower compression ratio?
I know of a way you can do it without changing the heads. Our Air Attack LS7 SC uses the LS3 SC kit on the LS7 heads by using adapter plates. I think the same adapter plate could be used for the LS9 supercharger.

Other things I can think of:
LS9 front drive
MAP adapter (which we have)
Figure out how to adapt the throttle body
Air intake system
Heat exchanger, water tank, water pump
Calibration (several issues I can think of)
Hood clearance
Wiper cowl clearance (since you are spacing the SC up)

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

I was referring to the many centrifugal supercharger options which are already proven to make power............
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 PM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rez90
I was referring to the many centrifugal supercharger options which are already proven to make power............
Welcome to the party Rez90! We are all talking about TVS blowers.

Jason, thanks for all the info.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the party Rez90! We are all talking about TVS blowers.

Jason, thanks for all the info.
Yeah thanks...........

My initial response to this thread was in response to your original question

"When will the ZR1 blower be available for teh Z06"?

I stated that there were other options.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
JC@MTIRacing
Racer

We have TVS systems in stock and ready for installation on the LS7 powered Z06's as well as the LS2 & LS3 powered C6's. With our TVS system, we safely and reliably achieve 850hp with no boost lag and 760ft/lbs of tq which comes on at ridiculously low rpm's. We compliment the awesome power numbers mentioned with our own custom 8-rib billet belt system as well as our TVS cooling and oiling systems to complete the turn-key conversion package. We're ready when you are!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

[Flamesuit]
can an LS7 take that much boost without forging the pistons/rods?

I'm curious as I thought GM tested with an LS7, but scrapped it for some reason and went with a smaller bore for more durability. definitely interested in MTI's setup though. Stupid Daily Driver pledge... :

[/Flamesuit]
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
JC@MTIRacing
Racer

Originally Posted by BubbaDuss
[Flamesuit]
can an LS7 take that much boost without forging the pistons/rods?

I'm curious as I thought GM tested with an LS7, but scrapped it for some reason and went with a smaller bore for more durability. definitely interested in MTI's setup though. Stupid Daily Driver pledge... :

[/Flamesuit]
Our TVS package operates on only 7.5lbs of boost which the LS7 can handle. Throughout our testing we have been observing the engine components for any signs of excessive engine decay caused by the TVS and everything looks great. We do require forging the bottom end if our boost upgrade option is chosen.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
kramrd
Pro

what will it take
?

More $$$ than I have!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 blower on a Z06

Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

From the experts:
"In lieu of the 7.0-liter LS7, Chevy opted for their 6.2-liter block as the foundation of the LS9 for its lower cost and thicker cylinder walls. The latter improves head gasket sealing against the higher combustion pressures found in the boosted LS9. "
Old 12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JC@MTIRacing
We have TVS systems in stock and ready for installation on the LS7 powered Z06's as well as the LS2 & LS3 powered C6's. With our TVS system, we safely and reliably achieve 850hp with no boost lag and 760ft/lbs of tq which comes on at ridiculously low rpm's. We compliment the awesome power numbers mentioned with our own custom 8-rib billet belt system as well as our TVS cooling and oiling systems to complete the turn-key conversion package. We're ready when you are!
One hell of a nice kit Jason...I finally got a chance to drive Mike's car yesterday. Weather has been hit or miss lately.

All I can say is Holy Sh**...the car feels incredible...!!

The drivability is better than the cam only set up I had in my '07. Ya'll have done one hell of a job on this TVS system. I really like how ya'll have gone above and beyond just typically "bolting on" a FI kit. From the improvements in cooling to all the LS7 oiling improvements and tuning I really like this set up...

Don't let Mike hear this but his Z06 is a bonified, street monster in sheeps clothing...yes I'm jealous

Great job MTI...!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
JC@MTIRacing
Racer

Originally Posted by vetteship
From the experts:
"In lieu of the 7.0-liter LS7, Chevy opted for their 6.2-liter block as the foundation of the LS9 for its lower cost and thicker cylinder walls. The latter improves head gasket sealing against the higher combustion pressures found in the boosted LS9. "
This statement may "come from the experts" but it was filtered thru the PR dept. How would it have looked if Chevy had simply said the 7.0L is too expensive for our $120,000 ZR1. The smaller cylinder walls of the 6.2L do allow more area for head gasket sealing but our testing has shown that the area for head gasket sealing provided by the 7.0L is more than sufficient for the amount of boost of the TVS. Based on this testing we feel comfortable putting our name behind our TVS package and providing the customer with a warranty. And based on similar testing done by other major supercharger manufacturers such as Procharger and Vortech, LS7 kits are now offered by these companies with warranties as well. The only disclaimer they have, which we do as well, is that when higher boost applications are chosen, the engine must be modified.

Last edited by JC@MTIRacing; 12-05-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1 blower on a Z06