Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Desert Attack LS7 680hp/576tq

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Desert Attack LS7 680hp/576tq

Thought you guys might like to see this

Desert Attack LS7 427
12:1 compression
GM Stage 3 cam
GM single plane manifold
Kinsler throttle body

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

OMG! That thing looks wicked. When do you drop it in the first car?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by CudjoeScott
OMG! That thing looks wicked. When do you drop it in the first truck?
Fixed.

We've been using variations of this engine for years in off-road Baja trucks. This one is about to go compete in the Baja 500.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jason how about a video of that beast on the dyno?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by tjwong
Jason how about a video of that beast on the dyno?
I don't have one and it's off, sorry.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it would be cool to stuff one of those in a Jeep, er uhm... I mean Fiat.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

UFB
Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this thread.
Jason, in your opinion will this setup or the Kinsler individual TB setup make more power (and you know what engine I am referring to )? Out of curiosity did you run this 4bbl TB with a cable - looks like it in the pic? Can these TBs be made to work with fly by wire?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Reviving this thread.
Jason, in your opinion will this setup or the Kinsler individual TB setup make more power (and you know what engine I am referring to )?
Kinsler by far.

Out of curiosity did you run this 4bbl TB with a cable - looks like it in the pic?
Yes

Can these TBs be made to work with fly by wire?

Not without some engineering.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Now for the REAL question. How much doe? Will it get answered. . .
Old 08-22-2009, 11:00 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is their any particular reason why you chose the stage III cam for this build?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Reviving this thread.
Jason, in your opinion will this setup or the Kinsler individual TB setup make more power (and you know what engine I am referring to )? Out of curiosity did you run this 4bbl TB with a cable - looks like it in the pic? Can these TBs be made to work with fly by wire?
I done one in a 40 Ford street rod using MEFI 4B ECU and integrating a GM ETC TAC Module and a C5 pedal assembly into the system. It is a LOT of work during the calibration process.

The engine is a tall deck Dart block 427 CID using a Hilborn stack system. The engine is equipped with Brodix 18 degree heads, Jessel shaft rocker system, a big road race solid roller cam. it made just south of 730hp on the engine dyno. You can see the C5 TPS sensor on the left front throttle body, we built a special mount for the sensor. The servo motor is on the right bank of throttle bodies with a jack shaft between the two sides. Balancing the throttle plates was a royal PAIN IN THE ****. These throttle bodies have a 2 5/8 throttle plate in each body, the owner went slightly smaller to deliver better low end response. The cam was BIG, it has duration numbers in the 260s and was ground on something like a 107 or 108. If it was a carbureted engine it would likely not idle under 1500 or so. Using individual throttle bodies and runners means there is no overlap to pollute the common plenum area in a conventional intake manifold. This thing idles at 1000 RPM after a warm up.

Last edited by tjwong; 08-22-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
I done one in a 40 Ford street rod using MEFI 4B ECU and integrating a GM ETC TAC Module and a C5 pedal assembly into the system. It is a LOT of work during the calibration process.
The engine is a tall deck Dart block 427 CID using a Hilborn stack system. The engine is equipped with Brodix 18 degree heads, Jessel shaft rocker system, a big road race solid roller cam. it made just south of 730hp on the engine dyno. You can see the C5 TPS sensor on the left front throttle body, we built a special mount for the sensor. The servo motor is on the right bank of throttle bodies with a jack shaft between the two sides. Balancing the throttle plates was a royal PAIN IN THE ****. These throttle bodies have a 2 5/8 throttle plate in each body, the owner went slightly smaller to deliver better low end response. The cam was BIG, it has duration numbers in the 260s and was ground on something like a 107 or 108. If it was a carbureted engine it would likely not idle under 1500 or so. Using individual throttle bodies and runners means there is no overlap to pollute the common plenum area in a conventional intake manifold. This thing idles at 1000 RPM after a warm up.
Very impressive setup - thanks for posting. Jason and I have been chatting about potential future plans with a Kinsler setup. Your point about reducing overlap effects inherent to a common plenum interests me - we are using the GM Stage III cam and it is ground on 107 LSA with 40 degrees of overlap. My car idles fairly well at 1200 rpm but it occasionally does a little "hunting" for steady idle - nothing I can't live with, but of course the main reason to consider a individual runner intake is the top end power potential as your 730 HP number verifies!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Very impressive setup - thanks for posting. Jason and I have been chatting about potential future plans with a Kinsler setup. Your point about reducing overlap effects inherent to a common plenum interests me - we are using the GM Stage III cam and it is ground on 107 LSA with 40 degrees of overlap. My car idles fairly well at 1200 rpm but it occasionally does a little "hunting" for steady idle - nothing I can't live with, but of course the main reason to consider a individual runner intake is the top end power potential as your 730 HP number verifies!
I really wouldn't recommend using such a set of for street driving. This type of induction system was meant for one well two things, idle and WOT. The part throttle drivability tuning is very tough to do, it can be done but I can attest it took hours and hours to do. I just completed another tune for a customer with a SBC in a street rod with a system that mimics an old weber system, basically individual runners as well.

This also was a standalone EFI system using a DFI Gen7 system. This particular engine used a dual sync distributor giving me fuel SEFI capability which allowed me to trim fueling to the indiviidual cylinders. Having this ability is the best way to run something like these. The reason is that no matter how well one balances the stacks, there will always be some inconsistencies between cylinders. One maybe a bit lean another rich, when they are too lean the have a lean pop, too lean won't burn so you hear a small pop in the throttle body as it backfires. So with SEFI you can add a bit of fuel to those cylinders that are lean and take out some where they are rich. It will be a lot of work for your tuner should you go down this road.

Get notified of new replies

To Desert Attack LS7 680hp/576tq

Quick Reply: [Z06] Desert Attack LS7 680hp/576tq