Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Added cam. now driveability sucks. can this be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Painrace
It is a compromise! If you want the additional power you need the valve overlap at low RPM. Keep the RPM up and you will be "OK" or go to a smaller cam.

Jim
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
What, I thought its was either 267/278 .700/.715 107-3 or bust?!!! (Not a real cam, I just pinned it together. you never know though.... someone might advertise a cam like this as having stock-like driveability!)

OP: we need more details about the build in order to help diagnosis the problem...
Ur cam chi is weak.

359/359 1.5/1.5 90-14.

Makes eleventymillion hp and idles great............at 4k.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Searching the OPs threads, he took it to Virginia Speed, and the car made 570 rwhp. thats a lot of power, so the cam must be large(r) on the spectrum, which will buck below 1400-1600. Its the nature of the beast.

Good tuning is key, and Ed, the calibrator there is pretty good. He is one of the better guys to tune these cars for sure
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM
satans csex
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_South_USMC
I have an 08 Z06 and recently had a Comp Cam, Kooks Headers and X-pipe, and a Halltech CAI installed with a custom tune. Now the car lunges a lot in the low gears at low speeds. In a parking lot I have to ride the clutch just to keep it from lunging profusely. I assume this is caused by the cam. Is this something that can be fixed by adjusting the tune? My tuner took 3 days to tune my car and I cant believe it is this bad. Is this typical of a cam?
What are your cam SPECS?! Do you have a cam card you can read out to me. Simple to answer your question if I had the specs. If its the TUNE,CAM,Or JUST SOMETHING ELSE.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Food for thought. On any other LS type motor doing a cam only is not ever going to be an issue in terms of valve failure, because all the valves are solid one piece. On the other hand; the 06 and up Z06's ( I've had two and 08 and presently an 09). These for some reason have a two piece hollow stem sodium filled exhaust valve. Now, with the stock spring pressures of 90 lbs on the seat, and given the mild cam ramps, there shouldn't ever be a problem ( some stockers have failed).
Now you add an agressive cam profile for increased performance. The cam ramps are viturally vertical snaping the valve open and closed. Your spring pressures with any type of performance cam will be in the 130-140 lbs of closed seat pressure. When that two piece exhaust valve falls of the cam lobe in the closing event, it comes to an abrupt stop on the seat, and where the valve is pressed fitted together it's trying to seperate it. Like I said a one piece valve is not a problem, but the two piece valve is a time bomb. Some guys on the forum say they have thousand of miles on the cam only motors; and the next drive down the street could be there last for a while. Next week my 09 Z06 is going in for a mild street cam change, and even though there's nothing wrong with the heads there comming off to R&R the exhaust valves with one piece stainless steel units. Also some porting while there off. I don't want to spend the extra $, but it gives me some piece of mind. I've also R&R'ed the rockers with CHE units to eliminate the bearing issue all together. As to your question, if you've got big stick live with it. It's may be a paint shaker, and tunning will help, but in the world of big cams you can't have your cake and eat it too. I know; I've had in your face cams in stroker LS motors, and that's what you get. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the most powerfull cam could drive like stock there would be no reason to ever buy the smaller cams.If it made 570rwhp like posted above I would agree it won't be happy going through a parking lot under 1600rpm. Ed is a very good tuner.

I've had a few people come in with cars bucking like crazy and even stalling.They would say the cars run great.Drivabilty and the quality is an opinion of each driver.Some never notice the buck or just drive around it and tell everyone they drive like stock.Another person feels one glitch and freaks out.

Sounds like you might of want all the power but it probly wasn't explained that with the high power you need to change your driving style.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

^^^Thanks Louis, Don.

Yep, I tuned the car. And yes, the driveability is not perfect. Yes it does have a big azz cam.

It was brought back today, and after a tweak of the idle misfire table, to turn the light back out (I hate to max them) I took it for a ride, and I gotta say, for the cam that's in it, it drives damn good. I can get it down as low as 1300 in second and it drove pretty good.

Yes I did spend about 3 days tuning, letting it sit, going back for cold start, etc, and driving again. Anyone that thinks you can tune one of these things in a couple/three hours hasn't spent any time tuning them. It takes a bunch of work just to make them start up right.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_South_USMC
I have an 08 Z06 and recently had a Comp Cam, Kooks Headers and X-pipe, and a Halltech CAI installed with a custom tune. Now the car lunges a lot in the low gears at low speeds. In a parking lot I have to ride the clutch just to keep it from lunging profusely. I assume this is caused by the cam. Is this something that can be fixed by adjusting the tune? My tuner took 3 days to tune my car and I cant believe it is this bad. Is this typical of a cam?
Hope you get some of your drivability back.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Yes it does have a big azz cam.
How big is the big azz cam?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

By everything I've ever read, you're in good hands with Ed. If the cam is still too grumpy for you in parking lots one thing you could consider (other than dropping to a smaller cam) is going to 3.90 or 4.10 rear gears. That can help low-speed driveability on a car like that quite a bit.

But really, I would just explain to Ed what you like and don't like and take his advice. A -good- tuner, on the spot, is worth 10,000 forum posts.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's only so much can be expected of a tune to smooth out low rpm performance of a high overlap cam profile. GM went through a rather rigorous development cycle to keep these cars acceptable in an international market with Ferrari's and such. Lot's of development work yielded a rather lame 120 LSA cam grind paired to a top line 360 CFM intake head flow to keep everyone happy. The rumpity idle quality of a 60's muscle car might be cool to some, but really not acceptable in today's modern product's.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

The stock Z06 cam is actually designed for EPA emissions. Performance, driveability, and avoiding warranty service are secondary parameters.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts
Tech Contributor

Anyone that thinks you can tune one of these things in a couple/three hours hasn't spent any time tuning them. It takes a bunch of work just to make them start up right.
Pretty much. A lot of people don't understand how much work actually goes in to getting everything correct, and typically get pissed at the cost of tuning and the time it takes to complete correctly. So many people just don't understand...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Anyone that thinks you can tune one of these things in a couple/three hours hasn't spent any time tuning them. It takes a bunch of work just to make them start up right.
And 570rwhp is a B-I-G cam.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The good captain (The OP) must be OK since he has been MIA since he posted this. Anyway I'm looking for 600+RWHP from my new setup with stock-like driveability & manners.......Vette Doctors get your tuning fork out and get cracking baby!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM
BIGBOS
Racer

I've read about the two piece valve potentially being a problem, but it seems the majoirty (knock on wood) who run mid/large cams haven't had any issues with these failing.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Added cam. now driveability sucks. can this be fixed?