Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone heard the 2011 Z06 Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
It arrived today and seems solid. Not bad for $30 shipped. A stainless version is available for another $10, but I figured it would be easier to weld the same material as the stock pipes.

But I am really enjoying how it sounds with the H-pipe and am concerned about Erick's comment regarding the X-pipe so may hold off for a while.
C'mon, just do it, not like it's a sex change operation, you can always go back to an H-pipe.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It arrived today and seems solid. Not bad for $30 shipped. A stainless version is available for another $10, but I figured it would be easier to weld the same material as the stock pipes.

But I am really enjoying how it sounds with the H-pipe and am concerned about Erick's comment regarding the X-pipe so may hold off for a while.

Robert is not kidding! The exhaust is much louder with the 2011 mufflers than it was with the 2007 mufflers.

I have not seen any threads discussing early mufflers with an X-pipe (I would like to hear that combo!) but suspect an H-pipe after two cats would make more power than an X-pipe after four cats.
Here is your chance to be a trail blazer Sam. Before and after dyno with your new x pipe You are already running the better mufflers. It would be interesting to know if the mufflers or the x pipe are the difference altho not sure all x pipes are created equal. Yours looks very similar to a Magnaflow which is probably what I will use if I don't fab something from scratch. I am trying to get a look at the factory 2011 setup first to see if there is anything trick looking about it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by nuck; 08-31-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nuck
It would be interesting to know if the mufflers or the x pipe are the difference
Catalytic converters likely render moot any significant differences between downstream crossover pipes and mufflers.

Back on the topic of sound, I did find a few posts by folks with the early mufflers who switched to an X-pipe.

Originally Posted by LS9Drew
I have an X-pipe with the stock unmodded mufflers, and it gurgles/pops more on decel and might be slightly louder at WOT. Slightly less boat/drone like at idle (flaps open) tho which I thought was a plus
Originally Posted by ErnieD
I've swapped out the h-pipe for an x-pipe on three Corvettes -- an LS1, an LS2, and an LS7. In each case, the exhaust note has been slightly quieter and somewhat smoother. I wouldn't be adding an x-pipe for the purpose of making the exhaust louder.
Originally Posted by ErnieD
I don't think the pitch is higher (or lower, for that matter), just smoother and slightly quieter. I like the x-pipe sound, obviously. The smoothness reminds me a bit of the many 4 into 1 collector exhausts I've had on motorcycles -- I love that sound.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I swapped the exhaust on my 2008 Z06 (perforated pipe on the inside pipes), which was very much quieter 2013 Z06/ZR1 exhaust. I it with under 2000 miles at Carlisle from a shop that had uninstalled it to put on a Corsa for $150!!!! I couldn't pull the case out fast enough. The $150 included the stock Z/ZR X-pipe and mufflers with the valves and perfect tips. Here is what is sounds like (flaps open) with my 2" primary ARH w/ Cats...

The only reason to go aftermarket is to get a different sound or lose weight, but the stock GM 11+ Z06 and ZR1 mufflers sound pretty beastly, even on stock cars. Just make sure you look for the solid pipe on the inside pipes to know you're getting the right version.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Catalytic converters likely render moot any significant differences between downstream crossover pipes and mufflers.Back on the topic of sound, I did find a few posts by folks with the early mufflers who switched to an X-pipe.
Crap I never thought of that. So I need to gut out or probably replace the manifold cats with pipe, then add in new cats farther down the mid pipe after the x, assuming they fit in the tunnel. The vendor catted x pipes all seem to put the cats in the stock location so seems I either look at factory 2011 midpipe or Frankenstein to get Hib's elusive 11hp.

Edit. Have looked at pics of Hibs 2011 system. The X pipe there is after the cats as well so the trick would seem to be getting a layout that emulates 2011 factory. Depending on the supplier there are differences in the distance from cats to X.

Last edited by nuck; 09-28-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by nuck
So I need to gut out or probably replace the manifold cats with pipe, then add in new cats farther down the mid pipe after the x, assuming they fit in the tunnel.
Not to get too far off topic here, but the problem is that both the X-pipe (flow) and catalytic converters (heat) want to be first in line!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Big Les
Intermediate

Wow. That video sounds amazing. But um you forgot to mention you have a cam right? That can't be just ARH with cats lol. If it is I'm getting one tomorrow lol. Which cam do you have?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
If you do some searching on this subject you will find alot of posts related to it.

Here are the differences.

Please do not argue or dispute as please, please trust me.

It has been documented.

Just do the search.

2011 and newer X pipe

2011 was only year with only 2 cats

2011 has more HP and torque stock from factory than any other C6 Z06

2012 and 2013 have 4 cats

2011 sounds very much like the C6R with a very nice "burble" and popping on downshifts.

It sounds great.

Sorry if I made anyone mad.
Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Hey man, when you are right you are right...I am with you on this and Hib Halverson proved it with the conversion he did on his 2012. Bottom line is 2011 exhaust is the best and adds more HP; undisputable.
Ditto.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Les
Wow. That video sounds amazing. But um you forgot to mention you have a cam right? That can't be just ARH with cats lol. If it is I'm getting one tomorrow lol. Which cam do you have?
I was mainly posting it for the audible potential of the ZR1/11+ Z06 exhaust. It's a comp grind that Fran and company at Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware have. PM me if you want/need to details, but its a .650 lift 114LSA cam and I also put on MAST 305 heads.

For the thread's sake, making the change from my 08 Z06 stock exhaust was a great change for me and it's quieter with the flaps shut and MUCH meaner open than before with no change to the outside look (not everyone's preference, I know).
Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 PM
bjmsam
Pro

I finally had the X section welded in place of the H section. The exhaust note now sounds less "blatty" at idle and when under load at higher engine speeds. It has a smoother and slightly softer tone that remains plenty aggressive. Drone is about the same when the flaps are open but fades sooner (~2500 RPM with the 2011 mufflers / X-pipe vs. ~3000 RPM with the 2011 mufflers / H-pipe vs. ~2000 RPM with the 2007 mufflers / H-pipe). It burbles and pops about the same when engine braking.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:58 PM
bjmsam
Pro

I just bought a Gitup Git2 action camera with an external microphone input (using the
Fantaseal 3.5mm to Mini-USB cable Fantaseal 3.5mm to Mini-USB cable
) and thought I'd share a quick video recorded using a
Seacue lavalier mic Seacue lavalier mic
clipped to the license plate.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember seeing, on youtube, a 2011 presentation on the up and coming C6Z. It appears the mid pipe was changed from a H to a X configuration. I believe the part # on this pipe is now the same on both the C6Z and ZR1. They also did this with the air filters because of the more stringent CARB regs in CA for the catalytic converter. I have a 2013, and when I rev it with the valves open, it's louder than some Harleys. I've even been asked if I have a aftermarket exhaust. Mine is bone stock. Except for the NPP fuse removal...
Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by SHM
I remember seeing, on youtube, a 2011 presentation on the up and coming C6Z. It appears the mid pipe was changed from a H to a X configuration. I believe the part # on this pipe is now the same on both the C6Z and ZR1.

Originally Posted by SHM
I have a 2013, and when I rev it with the valves open, it's louder than some Harleys. I've even been asked if I have a aftermarket exhaust. Mine is bone stock. Except for the NPP fuse removal...
...and with only two cats, the 2011 is even louder (my configuration).

Last edited by bjmsam; 03-06-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: fixed link

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone heard the 2011 Z06 Exhaust?