Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1 splitter and side skirt package "best package?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Spectre-13
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the prices for the fiberglass Splitter and Side Skirts? I would expect the Caron Fiber set to be much more.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spectre-13
What are the prices for the fiberglass Splitter and Side Skirts? I would expect the Caron Fiber set to be much more.
I paid way to much for mine but that was back in september of 2009 all GM parts and hard to get hands on then as the ZR1 was just being released. I paid about $1500 for each piece front sides L/h and R/h.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So it seems there are five choices...

APSIS
APR
Katech
RPI
GM

Painted seem subject to stone chips
Carbon fiber finish holds up well but brittle
Gel coat black is strongest but subjectively least "pretty"

So by going with gelcoat black (which i am leaning towards) I think we are limited to 3 options:

APSIS
Katech
RPI

I like the fact that APSIS has a matt black option and a reproduction factory color match rear spoiler option...

I like the fact that Katech uses factory GM mud flaps and front front facia reinforcement and made for track...

I like the fact RPI has a matt black option and an OEM ZR1 spoiler that is painted to match your paint color. Scary part is they say NOT for track use, street use only.

Soooo....I think the answer is Katech splitter and skirts in black gel coat and GM ZR1 spoiler painted from RPI?

Final thoughts from anyone?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could go painted and then put a clearbra on the parts to protect against road debris and stone chips etc.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I went with the LG Motorsports package: Front Splitter first...then recently added the side skirts. Happy so far.

Link to package: http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2262

Pics:

Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 AM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

LG is another contender I didn't know about, are you happy with them so far, any cracking or claims of pieces being too brittle as other have experienced?

Ian
Old 10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with RPI when they first came out. My front splitter has hit too many things to count (hit, NOT scraped as in a driveway) and it always stood up to the test. UNTIL a catalytic convertor fell off a car right in front of me in an intersection, no where to go, ran smack dab into it. The damage was minimal, I do need to replace it one of these days.
< This pic is AFTER the damage...not too bad.
Yes, you will get rock chips, but it's the same type of aggravation all of us Z06/GS owners get over the paint damage done to the rear brake duct inlet. I was nervous drilling the holes for the rear spoiler, the splitter was a piece of cake to install, and I had a friend with a lift help me with the side skirts.
Each time I take her to a show, I get a bunch of compliments on the kit, and it is my favorite mod to date, but I'm still waiting for my new wheels and tires to arrive in November...
Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by isnider
LG is another contender I didn't know about, are you happy with them so far, any cracking or claims of pieces being too brittle as other have experienced?

Ian
No issues. The front splitter is very solid. Note the extra reinforcement piece.

The side skirts are new to me, but they aren't brittle.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by tonypittman
I went with the LG Motorsports package: Front Splitter first...then recently added the side skirts. Happy so far.

Link to package: http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2262

Pics:

Thanks Tony!

You can see more of Tony's car via our online instructions for the side skirts as well

We have had our carbon stuff out for a while now. You can purchase them seperate or save a little bit and get the entire package all at once.

I have seen a few cars bounce off parking blocks with our front splitter at low speeds and been fine other than some minor scrapes. So minor things they should move enough not to splitter on you.

Our splitter comes with all of the hardware you will need as do the side skirts. We do not require the use of the ZR1 bumper re-inforcement piece with ours. We do include GM OE ZR1 mud flaps with the side skirts so it is a complete OEM like finish when you are done.

Shipping more packages today!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Thanks Tony!

You can see more of Tony's car via our online instructions for the side skirts as well

We have had our carbon stuff out for a while now. You can purchase them seperate or save a little bit and get the entire package all at once.

I have seen a few cars bounce off parking blocks with our front splitter at low speeds and been fine other than some minor scrapes. So minor things they should move enough not to splitter on you.

Our splitter comes with all of the hardware you will need as do the side skirts. We do not require the use of the ZR1 bumper re-inforcement piece with ours. We do include GM OE ZR1 mud flaps with the side skirts so it is a complete OEM like finish when you are done.

Shipping more packages today!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

My vote for best carbon fiber package is KATECH!!!!

Not one single stinking regret here.

Oh, and the front splitter is no lower than the plastic stock piece.

and you got to love a nice **** shot!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm94

Looks great!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

]
The car looks great!!!

Do you have the front bumper reinforcement as well? If not have you been on the highway for any length of time? I heard that without it even a long highway trip can cause it to sag.....
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
rpm94
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
The car looks great!!!

Do you have the front bumper reinforcement as well? If not have you been on the highway for any length of time? I heard that without it even a long highway trip can cause it to sag.....
Yes, I have the stock GM reinforcement piece for the stock splitter. Now Katech makes their own reinforcement piece that is a little bit cheaper than the OEM one. The dealership had to remove my entire front end to put it on, but they had two excellent corvette technicians working on my car and did an amazing job installing my entire Katech Aero package. They even put in my lower valance Racemesh grille and side vents. All for only $200 bucks!

Last edited by rpm94; 11-06-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Has anyone tried ACS? I looked at the splitters/rockers from several vendors at Carlisle and liked the quality of ACS but still haven't made up my mind.

http://www.acscomposite.com/store/st...=0&sort=normal

From their website:
Advanced Composite Specialties Inc. (ACS) is an OEM composite supplier offering Automotive Component solutions that range from hand lay-up to RTM and from LPMC to SMC. ACS assists its customers in product development, design, engineering, manufacturing, tooling design and fabrication. We offer low and high volume composite manufacturing with robotic trim and bonding, finishing and priming services. Our specialty has been developed in composite manufacturing for automotive and transportation markets where high quality and competitive cost are basic customer requirements. Having built over 75,000 components for various OEM automotive customers over the last 10 years has enabled us to apply this knowledge to any new application where composite properties are favorable to getting a low cost, lightweight, and durable part to market.

Last edited by CTYANK2; 11-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem I have with the Katech stuff is the price for the side skirts.....talk about ridiculous

Now the front splitter in contrast is pretty reasonable.....at least there it seems like you're getting what you pay for.

Just my .02
Old 11-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Amol
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Katech front CF splitter with bumper reinforcement and katech undertray holds up pretty good so far.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 splitter and side skirt package "best package?"

Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

From this shot it looks like you have the APSIS ZR 1front mud guards?? If so how do they fit with the Katech side skirt?

Bill
Old 11-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Splitter , rockers are knock-offs of GM parts ( same surface ) Race mesh could reduce cooling , effect car in a track mode. Nice looking car, may not be ideal for track use though.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 AM
rpm94
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
From this shot it looks like you have the APSIS ZR 1front mud guards?? If so how do they fit with the Katech side skirt?

Bill
Good eye. Yes I have the Apsis ZR1 front splash guards. They fit perfectly with the Katech side skirts. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1 splitter and side skirt package "best package?"