Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth

I am getting ready to install my Brey Krause harness bar and I am looking for a harness now. After all the reviews and searching...... I have decided on the 4 Point Schroth Profi II ASM FE with the factory seat.

The question is the Brey Krause is designed to wrap the harness around rather than bolt on to it, I believe. Does anyone have any guidelines for installing the harness with this harness bar?

Can I just use the factory seat bolts in the rear for the lap harness?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 AM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For wrapping your shoulder straps around a harness bar, see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcN-JAMw3c

for anchoring the lap belts there is no facility for that on the stock seat rails/mounts. maybe someone else will chime in with what they've done.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Take a look at this Scroth document. Page 12 has some good info on angles required for safe installation of the lap belt and shoulder belts. About page 24 there is some good info on installing the harness straps.

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

A harness is really only for the track - it hasn't been tested with the federally mandated airbag system, which is an integrated system that is designed and tested to work with the stock 3 point belt system.

As far as a 4 point system, many organizations that sponsor track days don't allow 4 point harnesses (PCA, Chin, etc.) - they require 5 or 6 point systems for ASM restraint.

They also have a requirement for a harness system to run through pass-through holes in the seats, and PCA for one requires that the seats be manufactured with those holes and not modified, so stock C6 seats are not acceptable for use with a harness system.

Additionally, there is an "equal restraint" rule that says that if you carry a person in the right seat (instructor, observer, passenger) that if you have a harness system for the driver, you must also have one for the passenger.

I assume you're going to install race seats for the track and take them back out for street driving - is that right?

Many states reportedly don't allow racing harnesses for use on the street - they haven't been tested with the airbags, etc.

If you do run race seats, you'll most likely lose the operation of your airbag. I assume you have side airbags, and a race seat in the passenger side probably won't have the PPS and will deactivate the passenger airbag. Nobody really knows (again, no testing has been done), but when the passenger and side airbags are deactivated, the entire SRS may be inop (driver's airbag, seat belt pretensioners, etc.).

With a racing harness that holds you erect in the seat, your body can't lean over into a safe area if the roof/halo collapses, so you really should have a good rollbar or full cage with a racing harness.

JMHO, YMMV!!!

Good luck, and show us some pictures when you get everything installed!!

Bob
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take a look at this Scroth document. Page 12 has some good info on angles required for safe installation of the lap belt and shoulder belts. About page 24 there is some good info on installing the harness straps.

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

A harness is really only for the track - it hasn't been tested with the federally mandated airbag system, which is an integrated system that is designed and tested to work with the stock 3 point belt system.
I am only installing for the track, my wife would have a cow if she had to use it every time she took the car out for a spin. ;-)

As far as a 4 point system, many organizations that sponsor track days don't allow 4 point harnesses (PCA, Chin, etc.) - they require 5 or 6 point systems for ASM restraint.

They also have a requirement for a harness system to run through pass-through holes in the seats, and PCA for one requires that the seats be manufactured with those holes and not modified, so stock C6 seats are not acceptable for use with a harness system.

Additionally, there is an "equal restraint" rule that says that if you carry a person in the right seat (instructor, observer, passenger) that if you have a harness system for the driver, you must also have one for the passenger.

I assume you're going to install race seats for the track and take them back out for street driving - is that right?

Many states reportedly don't allow racing harnesses for use on the street - they haven't been tested with the airbags, etc.

If you do run race seats, you'll most likely lose the operation of your airbag. I assume you have side airbags, and a race seat in the passenger side probably won't have the PPS and will deactivate the passenger airbag. Nobody really knows (again, no testing has been done), but when the passenger and side airbags are deactivated, the entire SRS may be inop (driver's airbag, seat belt pretensioners, etc.).

With a racing harness that holds you erect in the seat, your body can't lean over into a safe area if the roof/halo collapses, so you really should have a good rollbar or full cage with a racing harness.
I am using the stock seat on the track, the biggest benefit for me is the fact that I will be secured to the seat and not be moving around as much. Think of it as an upgrade to the CG Lock that is sold to secure the shoulder belt.

I choose a 4 Point as it does not have an antisubmarine feature as I am not adding a roll cage. Based on my research if you do have a 5/6 Point harness roll cages are required by most sanctioning bodies.

I also know that the pass through on the seat is a requirement but is not required for the “Test and Tune” days I am running in which is just for fun. I am having a hard enough time getting to this let alone participating in any regular events as my schedule is really day to day.

I hoped to use eyelets for the harness attachment so that I could quickly remove the harness for normal driving, but if it is bolt-on that is acceptable also. I actually picked the Brey Krause bar b/c it was easily removable.

Hopefully in the future I can find the time and have the retirement in place to spend enough to do more racing. As a ME I can assure you I think about safety first and would feel much more comfortable with a proper racing seat, HANS devise, full face helmet, Nomex suit, 6 Point harness, roll bar/cage and fire suppression system at minimum. To be completely honest I have very little track time and would probably just pick up a cheap car first as the Z would be nearly impossible for me to drive and be competitive. I did the math years ago and after you figure the trailer, wheels, tires, safety equipment, travel and entrance fee’s, suspension, engine, transmission, lap timers/electronic, brakes……………………. I could easily spend $100,000 the first season and hundreds of hours.

Good luck, and show us some pictures when you get everything installed!!

Bob
Thank You very much for the input, I will keep everyone posted on my progress!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No offence, but 4 points are NOT allowed at HPDEs. Need a 5 or 6 point with proper mounting seats. ie the shoulder harness must pass THOUGH the seat back not around.

Does not matter what Scroth says, that is moot. 4 points are just not allowed. Most HPDEs follow the PCA or BMW rules so might as well your self up so you wont be disappointing.

6 points are best as they have 2 sub belts. One sub belt tends to squeeze the family jewels

so you need:

1- Two new seats - Sparko Evo , Momo, Team Tech, Suzka Cobra ( non- leather )
2. two pair of seat rails to mount the new seats. OEMs are too tall.
3. harness bar
4. two sets or 6 point harness. with pull down straps.
5. harness mounting hardware

if your going to have a HANS device then you must have race seats and have them properly mounted.

your heading down a slippy slope with the mods. So I will you the best of luck

This is why some guys just buy a race ready C5Z T1 car for mid $20s. But then again that means a 3/4 ton pick up truck and a trailer.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-19-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Just FYI, AU N EGL is the Chief Instructor for the Nat'l Corvette Museum HPDE's. He knows of what he speaks!!!

Bob
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Does not matter what Scroth says, that is moot. 4 points are just not allowed. Most HPDEs follow the PCA or BMW rules so might as well your self up so you wont be disappointing.

your heading down a slippy slope with the mods. So I will you the best of luck
Good to know, I have been reading quite a bit and have obviosly recieved poor information from what I qualified as good sources. For now I am not going to do anything until I talk with some of the techs/track junkies my local track some more.

Slippery Slope is right!!!! Thats half the fun sometimes though, right )

Thank You for the details
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I am getting ready to install my Brey Krause harness bar and I am looking for a harness now. After all the reviews and searching...... I have decided on the 4 Point Schroth Profi II ASM FE with the factory seat.

The question is the Brey Krause is designed to wrap the harness around rather than bolt on to it, I believe. Does anyone have any guidelines for installing the harness with this harness bar?

Can I just use the factory seat bolts in the rear for the lap harness?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You will find as stated above that almost no organization will accept 4 point belts. Call Joe Marko at HMS Motorsports (888.467.3269) and talk to him about your options. He is a recognized safety expert who works with some of NASCARs biggest teams, BMW CCA, PCA, etc. I have attended several of his seminars on harness installation and related safety issues. He sells Schroth harnesses, knows the product line very well and will provide the best advice you can get.

Bill
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You will find as stated above that almost no organization will accept 4 point belts. Call Joe Marko at HMS Motorsports (888.467.3269) and talk to him about your options. He is a recognized safety expert who works with some of NASCARs biggest teams, BMW CCA, PCA, etc. I have attended several of his seminars on harness installation and related safety issues. He sells Schroth harnesses, knows the product line very well and will provide the best advice you can get.

Bill

I talked with Joe today which was a HUGE help. I am looking into seats now and I will take it from there!!!

Thanks Again For Everyone's Help
Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Good to know, I have been reading quite a bit and have obviosly recieved poor information from what I qualified as good sources. For now I am not going to do anything until I talk with some of the techs/track junkies my local track some more.

Slippery Slope is right!!!! Thats half the fun sometimes though, right )

Thank You for the details
Or just come on over to Corvette Forums Auto-X and Road Race forum. Where the track rats hang out

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also thinking about installing a 5 point or 6 point harness but was looking at the carvaggio race seats. They are leather but have the cut-outs in the back and use the stock rails. Have you encountered problems with "tech"ing a car with this setup?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzin2
I was also thinking about installing a 5 point or 6 point harness but was looking at the carvaggio race seats. They are leather but have the cut-outs in the back and use the stock rails. Have you encountered problems with "tech"ing a car with this setup?
I have seen cars with Carvaggio Race and GT seats accepted.

Bill
Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Or just come on over to Corvette Forums Auto-X and Road Race forum. Where the track rats hang out
Yeah, I just found it the other day when searching. Really there is a lot of good info there, there are definaly a lot of junkies here

I will hit my first track day in the Z on the 3rd out at HPT and I will see if I can keep up with the car!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:32 PM
jd4400hst
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On reading these threads on installing a 5 point harness on my c6 z06 my question is this. Can I fab a bracket that just bolts to the same bolts the back of my seat fits on to hook the bottom 3 points of my harness. I am not at a track where they make you buy racing seats but I don't know for sure would they accept that. I just don't want to butcher my car up and frankly the eye bolts that came with my Crowe harness are no better than the floor they are bolted to which is aluminum.
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth

Quick Reply: [Z06] Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth