Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tuning Reveled

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jim, Good luck to you with your health issues, thanks for your help with my Z, and I'm proud to be running one of your tunes. John

PS nice reply to the RN, you not only hit several nails directly on the
head, you put them right through the board, the RN was totally out of line.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jwbert
Jim, Good luck to you with your health issues, thanks for your help with my Z, and I'm proud to be running one of your tunes. John

PS nice reply to the RN, you not only hit several nails directly on the
head, you put them right through the board, the RN was totally out of line.

Nurses are sometimes not 'immune' to short "sightedness" (if you will)....I apoligize to you on his behalf....(emabarassed me as a professional in healthcare)

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM
VETTE RN835
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apology

To ALL....have apologized to Jim, as I did not have all the facts...I am not a mean spirited person, and know when to say, I am sorry, and when I am wrong....
Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by VETTE RN835
To ALL....have apologized to Jim, as I did not have all the facts...I am not a mean spirited person, and know when to say, I am sorry, and when I am wrong....
Thanks for allowing us to see you are humble and can admit mistake....your a great guy!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Opinion

Jim

I thank you, like others for your development and allowing our cars to perform much better. Purchasing the ordered 2006 Z06, I found your enhancements highly valuable. My local GM techs were impressed as well when they serviced the car.

I was especially impressed with your customer service initially.
After a few years with competition by other tuners I felt you were into growing away from your personal attention to your customer base.

I know that you have tried to retire before but for whatever reason you came back to provide even more ways to sqeeze more power out of our cars. Thank You again!

As far healthcare issue is concerned, you opened the door for discussion.

IMO this is Not the forum to disuss politics..

You have stated your political opinion and others have as well.

I wish you well and a healthy life.. Enjoy it with your family and friends while your able!

Sincerely

ThumperZ06
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,382 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

"IMO this is Not the forum to disuss politics", then why even mention it?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 PM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Ok

Originally Posted by BearZ06
"Oblama"open any doors? I believe it does!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,382 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

You bet it does, so do you want to continue to discuss it? ha ha Let's just stay with Jim's tuning information, that we all can agree is good!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I have most recently decided to give tuning via laptop a try. I was always pretty good with carbs and just about any sort of spark producing method and when EFI became main stream, I sort of hid my head in the sand thinking I'd just buy new vehicles with warranties and avoid the allure of modifying the power tranes. Well I blew that thought all to hell when I bought the car.....

I just bought HPTuners and the interface adaptor, along with a tune from one of the forum turners. He's been kind enough to actually work with me remotely and go so far as explain to me what he is doing and why. I also bought a couple books to study (Greg Banish's books). Tuning is not the black art I thought is was, but it most defiantly is complex and I know just enough about it to know I don't know squat and am very dangerous right now. I do not intend to make any changes for a while until I feel I'm ready for that. (might be a while)

Are there any other good books I should buy? Or possibly DVD training aids? Where I live, I'd have to fly across country to attend a seminar. I also do not have ready access to a chasis dyno for steady state calibration. It would be helpful to have some GM specific tuning books I think. I'm learning theory now as my base of knowledge, but I don't really know exactly what I need to do with regards to the cars I own and their ECM's (all GM). I've surfed the HPTuner's forums, but most of what folks post there is way over my head.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tim414
Thanks for allowing us to see you are humble and can admit mistake....your a great guy!!!
No, she a great gal.(VETTE RN835). As a member of our local Corvette club, I've had a chance to talk to her at length. As a head ER nurse, she delivers quality life-and-death health care to scumbags who spit in her face. That makes her a better person than 99% of us. I just can't figure out why members insist on interjecting politics here on the Z06 FORUM. It never ends well. I've also spent about 120k on my health insurance in the last 8-10 years but fortunately haven't had to really use it.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 08-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BearZ06
AMEN to that!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

We have been through a lot buddy, prostate cancer (my PSA was 45; I beat you! ), many many tunes that always improved performance or fuel millage (I have never been into fuel millage), driving your Katech ethanol beast on the track for the first time and bedding the new ZR1 CF brakes, bull sh*tt*ng, etc. Jason said TA 2012 was on so I hope you make it. I owe you a ride!

I will try to call you. I have found some improvements for our health.

By the way, I am on the Board of a not for profit hospital and could not agree with you more, but that does not surprize you!

Please keep posting. Tons of guys tell me they look for and read your every post.

O yes, I also have hired a guy to take my place at work and he is doing a fine job.

I hope to talk with you and Debbie soon.

Jim
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Hey man.....your treading a VERY sensitive subject here.

I can tell you that when a guy starts a small business and the thought of pricing health insurance into the household/business budgets, many , many times it is NOT affordable. It is EXTREMELY expensive for individuals NOT in a group plan.....small business owners are considered individual plans and cost of plan is also indexed by zip code AND a guys AGE....

Best to lay off this subject IMHO. I know back when I had started my own consulting business the above was the case I found. I kept a job so that I could keep health insurance that created a situation for me that impeded my success with the company. It came to a risk managment situation....risk everything (home, cars etc) in hopes that business enviroment would support/provide the contract opportunities needed to be a viable business both in the short and long term.

With health care, there are many, many variables including federal politics and changes in healthcare rules and medicare which in a large way dictate cost of insurance.

Anyway....I would leave this subject be....and offer support for Jim's well being rather than chastize him for not having health insurance.....until you have been in a position to start a small business (it does NOT sound like you have or you would not have stated what you did-it sounds like to me anyway, that you have a "very narrow" sight of the larger perspective), please keep it to yourself......Thanks bud....
Tim

add: best of luck to you Jim.....that prostate cancer can be really nasty stuff for a guy....reminds me to go get a PSA done....btw, I believe that there are new guide lines pertaining to PSA levels....I heard that awhile back and forgot to look into it....anyway, good luck man....
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Originally Posted by Halltech
Thanks. I'll likely post more tuning secrets here so that most owners can make informed decisions on their tune or not to tune.

Jim
That would be great! Thanks and good luck in semi-retirement.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
wjrive
Instructor

Hi Jim
Thanks for your writings on Z06 Tuning.
I purchased a SCT tuner and receieved the 3 free custom tunes for my 2010 Z06.

Now that I have the tuner and custom tunes. All I need now are the nerves to go ahead and do it.................That might take a while.
I'll keep looking for more info.

Thanks Willie
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by VETTE RN835
WHAT? Did I understand you correctly??????NO HEALTH insurance for many years, BUT sure sounding like you COULD have afforded it IF you felt like being responsible for your own health care. As an ER nurse,for many years, I see people that come to ER without insurance.... hospital WILL take care of you, BUT then has to eat the cost, thus, creating a hardship for the hospital.Nurses work harder, have lost vacation time, not gotten raises, because the hospital is in the red, due to all the free care we MUST give, by law...
Libtard noob.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Please keep your opinions to yourself, but since you opened the floor, I will have to say dealing with hospitals and my elderly parents health issues and certain billing practices, hospitals and doctors aren't hurting for money. IF What you profess above is based upon your experience from a non-for profit hospital, then what I am saying may not be the case.

if you work in a hospital for profit, what you say is repeating a bunch of BS propaganda put out by greedy hospital administrators trying to make bonus or Hospital holding companies like Columbia HCA trying to make their executives rich. And they are playing on the emotions of the true care-givers in hospitals(the nurses) taking advantage of them too by spreading their propaganda. They care about making money, and will do so at the cost of working the system or working patients that have money with questionable practices. (a personal example was being charged $250 for a plastic container to place a tissue specimen in that you could buy at a tupperware party for $3.) After dealing with these hospitals regarding my parents, it appears they make crap up out of the clear blue and charge you for it.

See this link

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...medicare-fraud

And the quote within:

The giant hospital chain Columbia/HCA paid $1.7 billion in fines and pled guilty to more than a dozen felonies related to bribing doctors to help it tap Medicare funds and exaggerating the amount of care delivered to Medicare patients.... And a study of ten states uncovered $27 million in Medicare payments to dead patients.
Well, I'm not qualified to comment on your tunes.............However, I have to say that I DO agree with your position on Obamacare

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning Reveled

Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 PM
gaklid
Racer

......It just gets old after a while. Z06 is slower than Zr1? Blame Obama.
It's hot outside? Blame Obama. Gotta retire? Blame Obama. 49'ers have a horrible offensive line? Blame Obama. 7-11 doesn't serve Mountain Dew Slurpee's anymore? Blame Obama. All this, on a car forum? Why anybody would want to be president, I have no idea......
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate free health care. I hate social safety nets that might save my life and protect me from bankruptcy. I don't like Obama because he's bad and Fox News told me he was bad. I hate Obamacare because the rich spread propaganda through the media that told me to not like it. I also hate liberals because they are bad and want to move society forward, progress scares me because I'm ignorant. I hate the government because they propose rules to keep society in a normal functional order. But most of all, I hate thinking for myself.

I'm sorry OP- excellent tuning info, but politically, your dumb as rocks. $120k on your own health insurance and proud WOW. Of course there's nothing wrong with the system. Nope. Nothing at all.

Oh and just to open your eyes a little bit: you can thank your republican buddies that you so despretly vote for every election for why you couldn't take your health insurance between state lines. Obama wanted that but your republican friends owners (big pharma) didn't like it....too much competition and it would hurt their profits. But you don't want to know that. Reality has a liberal bias.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Jim PM & E Mail sent I have questions on your hand held tuner. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tuning Reveled