Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tuning Reveled

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:07 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jim, Thanks for all your information and I wish you well with you health issues and pray for a good outcome.
I would like to ask a question about octane and altitude. I believe it was a Shell engineer who explained that as altitude goes up, an engine requires less octane. Here in Utah we can only get 91 (Premium) but our altitude is 5000 +. I was under the impression that our 91 was like 93 in lower altitudes. Now I may have totally misunderstood. I just don't want to think about my Z always running in the low octane table. Could you elaborate on this a little and set me staight?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JOHN*99*
Does this mean i need the buy the SCT tuner to log the data first and send you the data?
That would be one way. Who did the tuning to begin with? Most shops lock the ECM and you will not be able to use any type of handheld tuner if it is locked.

Jim

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 AM
JOHN*99*
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one has tunned it, it is running happy with nothing changed yet. Remember it only has a Callaway Honker, FAst 102 and a ported stock throttle body installed. Corsa cat back as well. No issues at this pont. Normal smooth idle. The headers and the torquer cam I hope to install next soon. Have them in box and ready to go on. Does that help? I do have a Diablo Predator that has not been installed/used yet. Could its data collection file be of any use to you?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
Jim, Thanks for all your information and I wish you well with you health issues and pray for a good outcome.
I would like to ask a question about octane and altitude. I believe it was a Shell engineer who explained that as altitude goes up, an engine requires less octane. Here in Utah we can only get 91 (Premium) but our altitude is 5000 +. I was under the impression that our 91 was like 93 in lower altitudes. Now I may have totally misunderstood. I just don't want to think about my Z always running in the low octane table. Could you elaborate on this a little and set me staight?
Higher altitude = less air (less cylinder pressure/heat/power) and typically an even richer mixture in most vehicles. This all means less octane needed compared to sea level for knock resistance. Octane is measured the same across the states, regardless of location but your need to run high octane may vary by geographical location.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Wandering Scot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Jim,
Good luck moving forward. Like you I'm a small business man who has had to deal with exhorbitant health insurance premiums. I hope everything works well for you.

Back on topic, do you guys tune the TCM with the SCT for the A6?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

This is awesome info! I won't lie, most of it is over my head but I respect people like Jim Hall that are so immersed in subjects like this, I'd get lost in all the numbers and data. I wish you the best with your help Jim, thank you for all your work
I just picked up an 06 Z, stock with an Airaid intake setup, how would I go about getting one of your tunes on my car? I'm up in the air over exhaust and/or a cam in the future.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best of health to you!

Best of luck, Jim. Your KBII/Beehive was the first mod I installed on my ZO6, and I surely wasn't disappointed.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck Jim! Thanks for all you do.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tuning Reveled