Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2011 Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2011 Exhaust Questions

I did a search on this, but can't seem to find all the answers I am looking for. I have a 2006 Z06 and am considering a swap to the 2011 exhaust. Here are my questions:

1. My understanding is that the valves on the 2011 mufflers oper and close at different RPM points, different points in time after letting off the gas, etc. My question is whether there is something in the exhaust itself that "detects" when to open/close or whether something else is needed (i.e. some sort of ECU programming, etc.). In other words, if I just bolt on the 2011 mufflers will I get the "new" open/close timing or will my 2006 electronics need to be updated/changed in order to mimic the 2011 sound.

2. Does anyone know how much of the sound difference (2011 vs. everything else) is attributed to the x-pipe versus the mufflers? I am inclined to just get the mufflers if that is the main difference in sound as opposed to spending the extra money on the x-pipe too.

3. Where is the cheapest place to buy the needed 2011 OEM parts?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:13 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

1) there's an exh controller. It's not controlled by the ECM so you would have to buy that controler.

2) although I have not tested this, but on my 06 GTO, it came with an H pipe stock, and when I switched to a corsa that had an X pipe, it made the tone go from muscle car to "exotic", so yes, an X pipe will make a car sound different as well

3) find those used from a guy that bought an aftermarket cat back?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 593 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by js59
I did a search on this, but can't seem to find all the answers I am looking for. I have a 2006 Z06 and am considering a swap to the 2011 exhaust. Here are my questions:

1. My understanding is that the valves on the 2011 mufflers oper and close at different RPM points, different points in time after letting off the gas, etc. My question is whether there is something in the exhaust itself that "detects" when to open/close or whether something else is needed (i.e. some sort of ECU programming, etc.). In other words, if I just bolt on the 2011 mufflers will I get the "new" open/close timing or will my 2006 electronics need to be updated/changed in order to mimic the 2011 sound.

2. Does anyone know how much of the sound difference (2011 vs. everything else) is attributed to the x-pipe versus the mufflers? I am inclined to just get the mufflers if that is the main difference in sound as opposed to spending the extra money on the x-pipe too.

3. Where is the cheapest place to buy the needed 2011 OEM parts?

Thanks!

2. The mufflers are different. More like the NPP and ZR1 than the old style 2006-2010. I don't know what effect the X pipe has but its been my experience with C5 Z the X pipe smooth out the exhaust and was slightly quieter vs. the H pipe design.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The only thing I know that they changed on the cars between the 2006-2010 and 2011 to current cars was the mid pipe and mufflers.

The new Z06's get the ZR1 X pipe instead of the H pipe that they had before.

The 2011 cars also use the same mufflers as the ZR1.

The ZR1 muffler uses the same size tips, but they are a resonator style rather than the solid tips of the other cars. Also the 'open side' of the mufflers is almost straight through. Think of it as a factory 'Z06 muffler mod'. They are much louder when open, especially with headers.

As far as the PCM settings to open them, I did not think that changed. You can always go with something like our "G2 Man ****" and open and close them at will though.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It has a more exotic, throaty sound. And as one said above. I have not heard of controller unit but know if starting from scratch ya have to have it. The '11 + is also supposed to have a bit more burble as well when downshifting . I have not driven a Z with the updated X pipe exh but it's been resoundlingly positive reviews I've read over the original H pipe.

I plan to do my '10 with this system one of these days.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
1QUICKSSB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 Z, and it sounds great!! I have the mild 2 wild switch, and on downshifts the pop and burble sound is perfect.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

why not just buy this X-pipe? I dont see the point in buying a ZR1 or 2011 Z06 X-pipe
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10792/
Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mirage2991
1) there's an exh controller. It's not controlled by the ECM so you would have to buy that controler.

2) although I have not tested this, but on my 06 GTO, it came with an H pipe stock, and when I switched to a corsa that had an X pipe, it made the tone go from muscle car to "exotic", so yes, an X pipe will make a car sound different as well

3) find those used from a guy that bought an aftermarket cat back?
I haven't been able to find the controller online. Only the mufflers. Are you certain that this is a separate piece? GMPartsdirect only shows the mufflers for 2011 z06 - unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I would be happy to buy a 2011 owner's stock exhaust. Anyone???
Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

From the 08 Service Manual here is how the system works:
Exhaust Tail Pipe Flow Control System Description and Operation
The Exhaust Flow Control (EFC) System enhances engine performance. The system has 2 modes of operation:
• Normal
• Competition
Normal Mode
When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running the exhaust flow control module (EFCM) commands the vacuum solenoid On, which supplies engine vacuum to both exhaust flow control valves. This causes the valves to close, diverting exhaust flow through a baffled path inside the mufflers. As vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3500 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open, diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers, thus enhancing engine performance.

Competition Mode
When traction control is driver disabled, vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3000 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open; diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers more frequently and at lower engine speeds.

The system also delays exhaust valve activity during wide-open throttle acceleration to inhibit exhaust valve actuation when the accelerator pedal is released and reapplied while shifting gears.

The EFCM has the ability to detect electrical malfunctions within the system. Any electrical malfunction detected will cause the system to be disabled and increased exhaust audibility.

The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.

The exhaust tail pipe flow valve control module receives throttle position sensor and RPM information via the serial data link from the powertrain control module (PCM). The exhaust tail pipe flow valve control module uses this information to determine if to command exhaust tail pipe flow control valve solenoid ON or OFF. When commanded OFF the exhaust tail pipe flow control valve solenoid allows vacuum to flow to close exhaust valve.

If the operation is truly different and you wanted the valves on your 06 to open the same as an 11 you would have to get the new module and maybe program the BCM to recognize the new module. You could do the muffler mod on your current mufflers and have a similar sound as the 11s just by replacing the module if it is indeed different.

If you are trying to find out if the flow valve control module is available call Gene at GM Parts House or Kevin at Parts Taxi and talk to them. They have access to more parts info than the web pages provide.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-22-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Exhaust Questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2011 Exhaust Questions