Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Big Build Thread - Pfadt, Katech & Wong Performance - Photos , dyno, the works!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The OEM mounts are liquid filled so they'll make a mess when they fail. Put some Pfadt mounts in the car now that it's apart. I have them in my race car and love them. They open up more room for things like oil cooler lines and they hold the engine 100% still w/o causing a noticeable increase in NVH. That said, my car is a full race car with no interior to rattle and annoy me. Comparing the car sans interior with OEM mounts vs. the car in the same state of prep but with Pfadt mounts I noticed no increase in vibration in the chassis or the shifter etc. My car is a C5 Z06 but it doesn't make any difference.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention mounts:

Decided to use the Pfadts mounts on the motor and the transmission.

There's going to be a lot of Pfadt Orange installed on the car over the next few weeks!

Dean
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fperra
Its about time you put some headers on that monster.
I'm retaining the Corsa exhaust you sold me. Thanks again!

Dean
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM
1000yardman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread,but please let us in on new motor specs!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1000yardman
great thread,but please let us in on new motor specs!
All forged LS7, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Callies rods, Arias forged pistons in 2618 alloy. LPE CNC ported LS7 heads, Ferrea endurance springs with Ti retainers, custom grind camshaft, Katech LS9 oil pump, Katech piston oilers, ATI balancer, and the usual balancing and engine blue printing.

Also adding American Racing headers connecting to Deans existing Corsa exhaust system. Coupling to the torque tube is a Katech LS9 aluminum flywheel and clutch, inside the torque tube will be a Pfady CF prop shaft, on the other end of the torque tube lies a RPM level 5 transmission.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Zo3o6
Racer

What was the reason for going with tthe American Racing Headers VS the others?
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
All forged LS7, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Callies rods, Arias forged pistons in 2618 alloy. LPE CNC ported LS7 heads, Ferrea endurance springs with Ti retainers, custom grind camshaft, Katech LS9 oil pump, Katech piston oilers, ATI balancer, and the usual balancing and engine blue printing.

Also adding American Racing headers connecting to Deans existing Corsa exhaust system. Coupling to the torque tube is a Katech LS9 aluminum flywheel and clutch, inside the torque tube will be a Pfady CF prop shaft, on the other end of the torque tube lies a RPM level 5 transmission.
All that over a broken motor mount
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zo3o6
What was the reason for going with tthe American Racing Headers VS the others?
Thanks
Ron
Just my preference, great fit, I like the ball and socket collector design and only one set of slip fit joints for the connection pipes to the rear section. ARH has a true merge collectors with scavenger spikes. There are also others with the same basic design, but too many slip fit joints which to me is a RPITA to align and install. I won't use Chinese knock offs as well, every set that was brought in for me to install has had fitment issues.

Originally Posted by travisnd
The OEM mounts are liquid filled so they'll make a mess when they fail. Put some Pfadt mounts in the car now that it's apart. I have them in my race car and love them. They open up more room for things like oil cooler lines and they hold the engine 100% still w/o causing a noticeable increase in NVH. That said, my car is a full race car with no interior to rattle and annoy me. Comparing the car sans interior with OEM mounts vs. the car in the same state of prep but with Pfadt mounts I noticed no increase in vibration in the chassis or the shifter etc. My car is a C5 Z06 but it doesn't make any difference.

They were both broken and yes there was an oily mess all over the K member which ended up being a grimey dirty mess after a lot of hours on the road and track! I pressure washed the K members, thats why they look as clean as they are now

Last edited by tjwong; 02-29-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread, lots of good pics. Keep them coming
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Halltech

Any idea how much the seats weigh vs. stock? Love the look.

Where did you get them?
I purchased them from Speedware in Kirkland, Washington:

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/

They made a special order with Ricaro to include high grade leather with contrasting stitching. Leather isn't the best choice for the track and isn't fire resistant. Oh well, they look great and fit me perfectly, a light press fit.

They are significantly lighter then stock, perhaps 50%.

BTW I still have the Superbee I purchased from you in 2007, but I'm thinking I should upgrade to your new design. Your input?

Thanks.

Dean

PS - See you again at Katech Track Attack 2012!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

awesome Dean cant wait to hear your thoughts once it is done!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Are you retaining the stock exhaust valves and powder metal guides in the LS7 heads???
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bink
Are you retaining the stock exhaust valves and powder metal guides in the LS7 heads???
Nope, Ferrea valves and guides were changed out. We are staying with PM material in the guides, they were replaced by LPE when the CNC work was done to the heads. LPE feels the PM guides are fine and will last longer with the new Ferrea valves especially now that we went with a roller tipped rocker arm to reduce frictional loads. Going by their testing they have seen less wear and tear once the guides and valve seats are properly set up. By set up, meaning proper clearances in the guides to begin with and perfect valve seat concentricity and seating relation to the valve itself.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
1000yardman
Advanced

Awesome Tom,what roller tip rockers are you going with?Is it a shaft rocker set up?Wish I could be there to watch it fire up and you dial it!I'll settle with you dialing mine,shouldn't be too much longer,its going on engine dyno Friday.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1000yardman
Awesome Tom,what roller tip rockers are you going with?Is it a shaft rocker set up?Wish I could be there to watch it fire up and you dial it!I'll settle with you dialing mine,shouldn't be too much longer,its going on engine dyno Friday.
Hey I was wondering how your project was coming along. I spoke with Kevin @ LPE the other day and forgot to ask him how it was coming along. I went with Yella Terra rocker arms on this engine. For the intended usage, I didn't see a need for the more exotic shaft rockers as you got. The Yella Terra has been a proven design and works well. In any case they should be an improvement over the decent design of the GM LS7 rocker arm by reducing friction. How is the weather over your way, our mountains here are getting some serious dumpage over these last few days, I didn't have to work and pay bills I would be up there skiing some deep powder snow!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM
1000yardman
Advanced

My motor is going on engine dyno tomorrow,numbers most likely Monday,Weather- snow,snow,and more snow,the Ski Mountain is killer as is the sledding except worst avalanches ever!! Awesome build Tom,great track toy!

Get notified of new replies

To Big Build Thread - Pfadt, Katech & Wong Performance - Photos , dyno, the works!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by kentz06
I purchased them from Speedware in Kirkland, Washington:

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/

They made a special order with Ricaro to include high grade leather with contrasting stitching. Leather isn't the best choice for the track and isn't fire resistant. Oh well, they look great and fit me perfectly, a light press fit.

They are significantly lighter then stock, perhaps 50%.

BTW I still have the Superbee I purchased from you in 2007, but I'm thinking I should upgrade to your new design. Your input?

Thanks.

Dean

PS - See you again at Katech Track Attack 2012!
Sorry, I missed your last question. The Super Bee CF102 Beeline package. Bolt on carbon fiber, no tuning required.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Deans engine on the mainline machine getting the Pro-Gram Engineering billet steel main caps installed. The reason we had these installed was because this block had a missing thrust bearing cap. And of course GM doesn't service the part so we went with a better aftermarket peice.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Spectre86
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

pretty wicked upgrade for a broken motor mount

Cant wait to see it when its done

Quick Reply: [Z06] Big Build Thread - Pfadt, Katech & Wong Performance - Photos , dyno, the works!