Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
I always recognized it. I just read your posts as treating this issue as a defect along the lines of roof delamination or condensation in the headlights, where the product acts in a manner other than intended and pushed back against that assertion.

I'm beginning to feel like a 1st grade teacher...

1. It certainly was not GM's intention to have roofs fly off.
2. It certainly was not GM's intention to have condensation form in the headlights.
3. It certainly was not GM's intention to have the suspension control **** go black when you turn the wipers on during the day.

None of the above act in the manner of GM's reasonable intent, therefore the above are all defects that require a resolution, and then a fix.

Class dismissed...
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06

I'm beginning to feel like a 1st grade teacher...

1. It certainly was not GM's intention to have roofs fly off.
2. It certainly was not GM's intention to have condensation form in the headlights.
3. It certainly was not GM's intention to have the suspension control **** go black when you turn the wipers on during the day.

None of the above act in the manner of GM's reasonable intent, therefore the above are all defects that require a resolution, and then a fix.

Class dismissed...
1st Grade teacher is about right. There's a glaring logical failing here. Intent implies active thought.

1. It was GM's intention to ensure the roofs stayed on. This is why they were all bonded. In some cases the bonding agent failed.
2. It was GM's intention to ensure the headlights remained sealed. This is why they all come with sealant. In some cases sealant failed.
3. GM had little to zero intent regarding the MSRC lights during daytime with the headlights switched on manually. This is why they all behave this way. It's a poor design, but it's not a the same sort of defect. Oversight or intention, I think GM will reasonably rank it about where I do on their hierarchy of importance.

You don't seem to grasp the difference between a design defect and a manufacturing defect. Design defects, especially when the defect is so light and subjective like this, have little chance of being resolved. Or noticed, because few people care enough to raise this much of a stink about something so inconsequential. Especially when GM won't even step up to the plate and resolve the glaring manufacturing defect in the Carbon Ceramic rotors. Manufacturing defects must be repaired to restore deviation from standard. Design defects are inherently standard.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

1st Grade teacher is about right. There's a glaring logical failing here. Intent implies active thought.

1. It was GM's intention to ensure the roofs stayed on. This is why they were all bonded. In some cases the bonding agent failed.
2. It was GM's intention to ensure the headlights remained sealed. This is why they all come with sealant. In some cases sealant failed.
3. GM had little to zero intent regarding the MSRC lights during daytime with the headlights switched on manually. This is why they all behave this way. It's a poor design, but it's not a the same sort of defect. Oversight or intention, I think GM will reasonably rank it about where I do on their hierarchy of importance.

You don't seem to grasp the difference between a design defect and a manufacturing defect. Design defects, especially when the defect is so light and subjective like this, have little chance of being resolved. Or noticed, because few people care enough to raise this much of a stink about something so inconsequential. Especially when GM won't even step up to the plate and resolve the glaring manufacturing defect in the Carbon Ceramic rotors. Manufacturing defects must be repaired to restore deviation from standard. Design defects are inherently standard.

Don't need to be a smart a$$. If you don't agree then don't post. Regardless of what you think it isn't proper for the light to go out. Yes we know we can just turn the **** and know what setting it is in. However, we shouldn't have to be guessing. It is a design flaw that was overlooked. So if we want to point it out to GM then we are in our full right to.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Don't need to be a smart a$$. If you don't agree then don't post. Regardless of what you think it isn't proper for the light to go out. Yes we know we can just turn the **** and know what setting it is in. However, we shouldn't have to be guessing. It is a design flaw that was overlooked. So if we want to point it out to GM then we are in our full right to.
Look 3 posts above yours. I was ready to concede. I even admitted I was reading his posts as declaring this a manufacturing defect and that I disagreed with that notion. That's where we got crossed up, and why I was pushing back. However, his reading comprehension was lacking and he took personal affront to my misunderstanding and decided to talk down to me. In the process, he exposed his ignorance to the difference between two very distinct types of defects, and I took it upon myself to correct him, lest he sound like an *** while trying to talk down to anyone else.

Last edited by 4GS7; 03-26-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Look 3 posts above yours. I was ready to concede. I even admitted I was reading his posts as declaring this a manufacturing defect and that I disagreed with that notion. That's where we got crossed up, and why I was pushing back. However, his reading comprehension was lacking and he took personal affront to my misunderstanding and decided to talk down to me. In the process, he exposed his ignorance to the difference between two very distinct types of defects, and I took it upon myself to correct him, lest he sound like an *** while trying to talk down to anyone else.
Listen I am not here to be a mediator or anthing buuuuuut Typing up an elaborate rebuttal just makes you look dumb man. All you are doing by replying is trying to get the last word in and I promise you that will not happen. There are too many of us that agree with 3LLZ06.

AAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD fartpipe is slow
Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Beechdoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen I am not here to be a mediator or anthing buuuuuut Typing up an elaborate rebuttal just makes you look dumb man. All you are doing by replying is trying to get the last word in and I promise you that will not happen. There are too many of us that agree with 3LLZ06.

The OP posted a valid "anomaly" with the lighting function in the control ****. Design flaw....manufacturing flaw....safety issue or not, I don't care about the details....I consider the condition to be abnormal.

Perhaps there is a reason the suspension control **** lights work this way due to hardware/software architecture limitations that can't be reprogrammed, but there is no reasonable argument that the lighting should ever go out under any circumstance by design. Its odd that its been left this way without an official explanation from GM, but there is validity in the premise of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If there are only a few complaints and the issue is relatively benign(as this one actually is), then no official response should be anticipated. The cost exposure to fix the issue is likely at the top of the list for the lack of GM's concern and most likely why the responses from GM are minimal. We would be surprised how much this apparent simple fix might cost GM if they were to issue a warrantable bulletin to correct the issue....I'm sure a couple million bucks by the time all dealer and internal administration costs are totaled in.

My ZR has the light shake at 80MPH that has been well documented by others to be a brake rotor balance issue, and I also have the same "normal" control **** issue mentioned by the OP. I can live with both issues and I'm not losing sleep over either, but it hard to believe GM hasn't addressed it on their $130K "flagship"!

P.S....I'm amazed how we often bicker on these forums by over analyzing the smallest details others post that end up getting personal and waste all of our time.

Last edited by Beechdoctor; 03-26-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

All you are doing by replying is trying to get the last word in and I promise you that will not happen. There are too many of us that agree with 3LLZ06.

Last edited by 4GS7; 03-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

I've notified "Chevy Cust Srv" on the forum twice and so far the response after 4 days is:

"3LZZ06,

I have documented your suggestion in our system to be addressed.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevy Cust Svc"

My original PM to them was on 3/15/12 and their first and only response was on 3/19/12.

I'm thinking if enough people showed concern about this issue by PM'ing Chevy Cust Srv, that would at least be a start to have them look into correcting the problem.

Let's face it, if there's only one guy is showing any concern about getting this issue resolved, what do you think the chances of getting it fixed are?...Pretty slim. If 100 people are raising concerns it may be a different story, and in this case there's about 4000-5000 cars affected.
Second response thus far...

"I apologize for the delay in response. I have been assisting Evan on the forum as he has been out of the office for the past few days when I came across your message. Has your concern been resolved?

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service."

Obviously Tricia hasn't read the thread so I politely asked her to please read it and get back to us...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Second response thus far...

"I apologize for the delay in response. I have been assisting Evan on the forum as he has been out of the office for the past few days when I came across your message. Has your concern been resolved?

Obviously Tricia hasn't read the thread so I politely asked her to please read it and get back to us...
Tomorrow she will be out...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,276 Posts

GM isn't going to change this. And the reason why isn't because of the money it would take to fix the program and then roll it out (which probably wouldn't be a lot, but would be some).

No, the reason they aren't going to fix this is they'll assume we are capable of turning the **** (without even looking) to confirm to ouselves we're in the mode we want to be in.

AAANNNNDDDD Fartpipe will be even slower in a Z-06 . . . . .
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by onpoint
gm isn't going to change this. And the reason why isn't because of the money it would take to fix the program and then roll it out (which probably wouldn't be a lot, but would be some).

No, the reason they aren't going to fix this is they'll assume we are capable of turning the **** (without even looking) to confirm to ouselves we're in the mode we want to be in.

aaannnndddd fartpipe will be even slower in a z-06 . . . . .

el oh el
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

el oh el

I'm going to miss him tho. The dude rocked the ZR.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
2thousand2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing thread! Hope you guys get your issue resolved!!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Just for everyone's reading pleasure, I'm keeping a timeline of my correspondence with Chevy Cust Svc. My PM's are in green and their's in blue...enjoy.

My original PM to them was on 3/15/12...

Chevy Cust Svc,

Here's the thread I started. I hope that you might forward this to Tadge Juechter (chief engineer for corvette) so that he, or someone qualified may explain this issue to us ZR1 owners.

If it is a programming problem, which it seems to be, I hope a fix can be implemented to correct it.

suspension-control-****-problem-for-all-zr1s

Scott

Second attempt 3/19/12...

Hello?...Anything?...

Scott

Their first response was on 3/19/12...

"3LZZ06,
I have documented your suggestion in our system to be addressed.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevy Cust Svc"

Second response thus far on 4/3/12...

My response 4/3/12...

Tricia,

Please take 10 minutes to read the thread and you will be better prepared to ask any questions. Long/short of it...no, the problem has not been resolved and the problem exists with every ZR1 produced to date.

Please review thread and get back to me/us.

Scott

4/4/12...

I was able to review the thread. I would like to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

4/4/12...

I don't understand...why would you need the last eight of "my" VIN?

...If you read and comprehend the thread, you would understand that every C6 ZR1 built thus far has the exact same inherent issue. Pick a VIN, they all have the issue..."all of them"

Again, please get back to me/us when you get more info on this issue that includes "every C6 ZR1"

Scott

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 04-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your next question should be: are you blond?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Two weeks and they seem to be quiet as church mice...

Anything GM???...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Any pics of Tricia?

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Vasman says she might be blonde...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm here for the partay. I heard there would be midgets dancing with lighted ***** and lots of beer.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Supersonic_ZR1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A little late but I would like to add that my ZR1 also has the same issues as above.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...