Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sold my Cobra and moving into a C6 Z06, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM
wallie40
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another 03 cobra with a KB, solid axle 620hp. I still have it. I love the Z, i wish i would have bought it sooner.

My z is h/c/i & headers. Dont look back and do it!

Wife always seems to get in the way of my fun.

Just do it.

-Paul
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I also came from an 03 Cobra to my stock 08 Z. I was running about 16 pounds of boost on a ported Eaton making 520rwhp. The Z feels faster. I sold the cobra to make way for my Z. I only have an axleback and won't be going any further. The Z is a beast but I had waaaay more confidence in the 03-04 engine. Plus I have a warranty.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 AM
vvlf
Pro

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I also came from an 03 Cobra to my stock 08 Z. I was running about 16 pounds of boost on a ported Eaton making 520rwhp. The Z feels faster. I sold the cobra to make way for my Z. I only have an axleback and won't be going any further. The Z is a beast but I had waaaay more confidence in the 03-04 engine. Plus I have a warranty.
Were there as many "blown motor" threads over there at the Mustang forums as there is here with the Z ?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I have to agree with you 100%. I also sold my 03' Cobra and bought an 08' Z. I've had it about 15 months now and after reading all the dreaded threads on here about the valve failures has made me a bit nervous. I'm sure that is one thing we all can agree on about the 03-04 Cobra motor, it could handle some abuse. I'm sure there must have been a few that failed as nothing is perfect just didn't really read about it. My Z has been very reliable athough it is about 7,800 miles old.z
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vvlf
Were there as many "blown motor" threads over there at the Mustang forums as there is here with the Z ?
The answer is NO. The 03/04 Terminator engine was one of the best built engines with forged crank, Manley rods, etc... to handle 800rwhp without any problem. Try that with our 427. Or for that matter, the newer 550hp Shelby. Their rods are the weak link, Ford stopped using Manley rods, Big Mistake!

Not to mention 03/04 Cobra's are holding their value as apposed to ours dropping by the hour. I could have sold my 04 today for more than I paid for it new! Sorry I couldn't have kept it, but no garage space.

The 2013 Shelby definitely has my attention. Waiting to see it, and find out what it has for internals
Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Not at all. That engine is a BEAST!!!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Blueline
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well it looks like my Cobra may def. be sold, just waiting on a wire transfer to my bank. I made my buddy, what I believe is a good offer on his car. He doesnt want to budge on his price so Im up in the air right now. I may just start looking for another one, I def. want to get into a Z. If you know anyone selling a nice Z please have them send me a PM.

I pulled the Cobra out yesterday to send the buyer a final walk around video of the car running etc.... man that car is nice too!. I def. cant wait to get in a Vette though....

Thanks guys!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
kirks5oh
Instructor

Not really. The only weak link in the cobras was very close piston clearance to avoid piston-slap with cold starts--like owners would have cared about that.

Pulleyed cars would blow their motors due to piston expansion that could occur with multiple back-to-back high speed runs in the car. It was always #7 or #8, due to poor coolant flow. The solution was to remove a freeze plug in the back of the head and add an outflow line out of the head.

Aside from that one stupid design flaw, the forged parts were good for 800 crank hp all day long. My cobra's longblock is bone stock, and has lived at 590rwhp for almost 5 years.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 261 Posts

^^^^^

Well since it's brought up, yes the 03/04 had the coolant flow issue, good rods, crap pistons, the 5.4 shelby motor, good pistons, crappy rods........both have had several issues with head 'tick'.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRA95
The answer is NO. The 03/04 Terminator engine was one of the best built engines with forged crank, Manley rods, etc... to handle 800rwhp without any problem. Try that with our 427. Or for that matter, the newer 550hp Shelby. Their rods are the weak link, Ford stopped using Manley rods, Big Mistake!

Not to mention 03/04 Cobra's are holding their value as apposed to ours dropping by the hour. I could have sold my 04 today for more than I paid for it new! Sorry I couldn't have kept it, but no garage space.

The 2013 Shelby definitely has my attention. Waiting to see it, and find out what it has for internals
please pm me whos ever info who was going to buy your cobra for more than you paid for it new - Ill sell him mine
Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 261 Posts

^^^^

Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobafett
please pm me whos ever info who was going to buy your cobra for more than you paid for it new - Ill sell him mine
PM Sent!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
I bought mine for $31K in 2004 and sold it for $29K in 2007. Not bad.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kirks5oh
Not really. The only weak link in the cobras was very close piston clearance to avoid piston-slap with cold starts--like owners would have cared about that.

Pulleyed cars would blow their motors due to piston expansion that could occur with multiple back-to-back high speed runs in the car. It was always #7 or #8, due to poor coolant flow. The solution was to remove a freeze plug in the back of the head and add an outflow line out of the head.

Aside from that one stupid design flaw, the forged parts were good for 800 crank hp all day long. My cobra's longblock is bone stock, and has lived at 590rwhp for almost 5 years.
The problem with #7 and #8 cylinder occurred on cars with elevated boost levels. The stock blower set-up was 8lbs. boost and some people put Whipples or Kenne Bell blowers with 21 lbs. boost
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Valvetrain is a little noisy mostly ticking sound but oh what a feeling the c6 z06 gives you. Had mine 20 mths and i love it.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
kirks5oh
Instructor

Originally Posted by GMuffley
The problem with #7 and #8 cylinder occurred on cars with elevated boost levels. The stock blower set-up was 8lbs. boost and some people put Whipples or Kenne Bell blowers with 21 lbs. boost
Like I said "pulleyed cars". It happened on some stock cars as well--guys who decided to do multiple runs to 150+mph back to back.

My whipple is pulleyed for 18psi, and has the head cooling mod
Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRA95
PM Sent!
thanks

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I bought mine for $31K in 2004 and sold it for $29K in 2007. Not bad.
no not bad, but 3 yrs old is a little different than 8 yrs old...

Get notified of new replies

To Sold my Cobra and moving into a C6 Z06, need some advice.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As previously mentioned..

Heads to WCCH for bronze valve guides and exhaust valve swap. $1000+
Comp Cams trunnion upgrade kit for LS rocker arms $150

That with the setup you mentioned, and I think you will have a long lasting, EXTREMELY fun car.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueline
Hey guys, I just got a very good offer on my 04 Cobra which is making 650rwhp. I never had a vette but always wanted a Z06. Im seriously contemplating picking up a C6 Z. I have been doing my research and feel a bit uneasy about one thing, the LS7 motor. The things that concern me are the rockers bearings and the past few threads about blown motors.

My questions to you experienced members, should I go with a mostly stock Z and leave it alone? Still reliable to run one with full exhaust and cam? My buddy is willing to sell me his 06 Z with a cam and full exhaust with 20k miles. Hes offering it to me at a pretty good deal, the install and tune was done by ECS in NJ. I am just a bit leary, he said the valvetrain is noisey, but has been told several times this is normal for these LS7 motors..I dont know? Im not going to be looking to mod the car much, maybe an exhaust.... it will just be a weekend cuiser, nothing more.

Any advice or suggestions you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. I do my own wrenching, this is just a different ball game with known issues regarding the LS7 motors.

Thanks in advance guys!
If you have the need for something different buy a Z06 and leave it bone stock. - Heads/cam ls7's are firecracker's waiting to blow your hand off unless it is done by a serious builder like Katech and its forged.

I would tend to Stay away from a modded ls7 or LS9.

Otherwise bonestock they are fine, and are good track cars if you keep them stock and the oil properly topped off. The Z06 might even be a little better track car than the LS9 especially with upgraded brakes on the '6.

For insurance you can buy a GMPP if your z is a 2008 or above with under 20k miles for 1200-1500 bucks.

Right now, I am thinking I might like to add a 2013 662hp Rustang to my list of next cars I would like to buy. I'll try not to get it wet, so it should not have a rust problem and they are much better looking than the Camaro - even though both the maro and stang have a brick looking thing going on.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 04-29-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Blueline
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys! Im waiting for my buddy to decide, sounds like it if goes through Ill know in the next day or so. I spoke to Jason at Katech and Chris from ECS, after speaking to these guys I feel extremely comfortable buying my buddies. ECS rknows the car and have nothing but good things to say about it. I will also be taking any and all business to them anyway, so its very comforting knowing they are 1 hour away from me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sold my Cobra and moving into a C6 Z06, need some advice.