Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

You bought a 2011 zr1 ,you have the money go and pay for someone to change your oil and filter the way it should be done.Dont tell me you enjoy doing it yourself and dont try to save $20.Get it done iright and jeep the receipts until the warranty is over.I cant believe what some people put themselves through in life.Geez
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,734 Likes on 874 Posts

Geeze to the above!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He probably could afford his ZR1 because he didn't waste money all his life paying someone to do the things he could do himself. Also, he probably wants to be sure it's done right, which is never guaranteed when someone else does it. I love it when other people with no credentials tell me how I should spend my money.
Originally Posted by camirocz
You bought a 2011 zr1 ,you have the money go and pay for someone to change your oil and filter the way it should be done.Dont tell me you enjoy doing it yourself and dont try to save $20.Get it done iright and jeep the receipts until the warranty is over.I cant believe what some people put themselves through in life.Geez
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,826 Likes on 1,154 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

To answer the OP...

A set of Rhino Ramps (like in my pic) with some wood to help the car's splitter clear them, and a good set of jack stands. That's all you really need. Drive the car up the ramps, jack the ***-end up using a 2x4 underneath the sub-frame, and then plant two jack stands under there at a height that keeps the car level.

jas
Old 05-05-2012, 10:19 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,826 Likes on 1,154 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Dont tell me you enjoy doing it yourself and dont try to save $20.
Awfully presumptuous of you, don't you think? Some of us actually do enjoy working on our own cars and want to make sure we do it properly. That's why we ask questions on helpful forums such as this one. Perhaps you don't enjoy doing work on your own car, and that's fine. We won't expect to see pictures of your ramps, jack stands, and lifts. Nor will we expect you to offer up any useful technical advice in how-to threads such as this one.

jas
Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

It isn't about the $20 for a lot of guys. Its the reassurance that its done right.

That being said I will continue to eat my Ramen and drive my ZR1

Last edited by whatcop?; 05-05-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

There are too many horror stories of oil changes gone bad, even from the dealers. At least when I put my cars on the lift, I know nothing is going to be crushed & it will be done right. No double gaskets on oil filter, no low oil level, no loose oil drain plugs, no crushed CF parts, no bullet holes in oil change donkey...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Some of us just don't want a dumb-*** touching our cars and f-ing up a simple job, such as changing the oil. If you've paid attention you'd know that it happens more times than anyone would think possible.

It's obviously not about the $20 bucks. It also really doesn't take much time and isn't that much work. Everyone that owns a Corvette knows what work is, and can certainly figure out how to change the oil properly "if they choose to". Some may have had their cars handed to them on a silver platter and are on there way to Jiffy-Lube right now...

BTW, why do you have a hard time believing that changing the oil is enjoyable for some? It's not something to have a party and invite all your friends over for, but it isn't a trip to the dentist to have a tooth pulled either...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

First oil change at a dealer they left grimey, oily hand prints and crumbs from their sandwich on my car...it's black.

I changed dealers and it was worse. No pad protection on the front quarter panel until they saw me come in/watching. They didin't know what they were doing, looking for the second plug. ZR1's still arent that common at dealerships. They tried to use channel locks instead of the right sized socket to get one of the plugs loose because it wasn't a standard plug size or they were stupid. They left oil smudges all over my car and deep scratches in the clear bra from forgetting the pad when they started

So now I need warrantee work and try A THIRD DEALER ( the plastic push pins holding the interior panel on the A pillars popped from too much torque )
And now for the Finale; DRUM ROLL PLEASE......the kid uses the hood of my car to write my vin number on the ticket with a ball point pen. Are you kidding me!!!!

And you say get it done right at a dealer.......Really?

We do agree on one point. Let me quote you on it "I cant believe what some people put themselves through in life.Geez"

I will try to put 99,999 miles or 4 years 11 months and 29 days on my car before going to another dealer

Footnote: At the first dealership I gave the service rep a fifth of Jamieson upon arrival and gave the tech who drove my car away to do the oil change a ten spot.

Please allow me the priviledge. Before anyone else comments on my post....

I am certified STUPID!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
First oil change at a dealer they left grimey, oily hand prints and crumbs from their sandwich on my car...it's black.

I changed dealers and it was worse. No pad protection on the front quarter panel until they saw me come in/watching. They didin't know what they were doing, looking for the second plug. ZR1's still arent that common at dealerships. They tried to use channel locks instead of the right sized socket to get one of the plugs loose because it wasn't a standard plug size or they were stupid. They left oil smudges all over my car and deep scratches in the clear bra from forgetting the pad when they started

So now I need warrantee work and try A THIRD DEALER ( the plastic push pins holding the interior panel on the A pillars popped from too much torque )
And now for the Finale; DRUM ROLL PLEASE......the kid uses the hood of my car to write my vin number on the ticket with a ball point pen. Are you kidding me!!!!

And you say get it done right at a dealer.......Really?

We do agree on one point. Let me quote you on it "I cant believe what some people put themselves through in life.Geez"

I will try to put 99,999 miles or 4 years 11 months and 29 days on my car before going to another dealer

Footnote: At the first dealership I gave the service rep a fifth of Jamieson upon arrival and gave the tech who drove my car away to do the oil change a ten spot.

Please allow me the priviledge. Before anyone else comments on my post....

I am certified STUPID!
Perfect example of why it's easier to DIY...

Thanks for sharing...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Perfect example of why it's easier to DIY...

Thanks for sharing...
Just hope I've saved someone a lot of grief and repairs to their car from my "lessons learned"
Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
It isn't about the $20 for a lot of guys. Its the reassurance that its done right.

That being said I will continue to eat my Ramen and drive my ZR1

Many people are successful because they eliminate the probability for screw ups!
Service techs touch my ZR1 when there is no alternative!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Oil Change