Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 in rain question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
He's a ***** and either needs to buy a fiat or go to a driving school.

I've been caught in DOWN POURS when the weather forecast said "no rain".... and I have a "tuned" 2007 Z06 .... no issues, other than having to wash it!
He just has to be conservative in wet conditions.....

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 05-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
He's a ***** and either needs to buy a fiat or go to a driving school.
QFT!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Man you guys are brutal.

I won't repost everything I wrote in the dupe in general, but I think a factor commonly overlooked is road quality. If some of you guys live in Kansas with butter smooth quarter mile strips with stop lights, you're gonna have a hell of an easier time driving in the rain vs. someone in a metro area with tons of construction (=standing water & floods) and potholes, dips, bumps, you name it. I've been out a few times in the rain with the stock tires and the rear end was coming out every 5 seconds at 35 MPH in 4th gear with no throttle just because of the road surface. Mario Andretti couldn't out drive that problem.

Originally Posted by whatcop?
So you think. This was a 35-40 mph hydroplane on PS2s with traction control on.
Ironically that car is utterly ridiculous (good) in rain too. You can flog that thing and it will stick. Note the road quality, doesn't look too great, kind of proves my point.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
tran03
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I got 24+k out of the first set of GY's on my 06.
My car came with 12,000 miles on it. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports but had to drive to NC a few times. Before I knew it, I was at 20,000 miles on the GY's...

It all depends on how you drive
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 PM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the rain/wet you have to worry about, current compounds in tires these days all do good in wet, it's standing water that is the issue.

Wide tires and summer rated tread patterns made for handling/cornering do not expel water fast enough at speed.

Luckily most of the freeways here in the Bay Area are paved with grooves and/or made with materials that let the rain seep down, so there isn't standing water.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 in rain question