Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Start Button problem

Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start Button problem

I've been having a problem with my Start Button on my 06Z lately. Sometimes it takes 3-4 pushes until it starts. Sometimes it starts on the first push. The times it doesn't start it makes a clicking sound. I will then let up on the Clutch and depress it again and it will either start or just make the clicking sound. Anybody out there with a similar problem?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by designertony
I've been having a problem with my Start Button on my 06Z lately. Sometimes it takes 3-4 pushes until it starts. Sometimes it starts on the first push. The times it doesn't start it makes a clicking sound. I will then let up on the Clutch and depress it again and it will either start or just make the clicking sound. Anybody out there with a similar problem?

Some folks have suggested to start with putting a fresh battery in your fob to make sure the car is receiving your signal before proceeding to further diagnosis
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestion but the car has a brand new battery and a new FOB battery.
It's an intermittant thing.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I wonder if its your clutch switch that is intermittent rather than the start button? At any rate replacing the start switch should not be difficult if that's the culprit.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by designertony
Had a similar problem. Starter motor had a bad spot and would not engage or rotate. Replaced starter motor and problem was fixed.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Strange that it could be the starter motor because the car has only 14K miles. might be the heat out hear in Arizona. Batterys don't last long out here.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet is the clutch switch. Make sure to depress the clutch as far as you can before hitting the starter button. The clutch switch may need to be repositioned.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

If you hear the clicking, it has already gone past the clutch safety switch. (If you press the start button without depressing the clutch, you will hear nothing.)

When you hear clicking, the relays and solenoids are trying to start the car. Usually, it's the battery or battery terminals (positive or negative) and the starter is not getting enough current to crank. It can also be a loose connection on the main positive cable underneath on the starter solenoid. Occasionally it's a bad ground or control module.

If the car is under warranty, let the dealer sort it out. If not, try to isolate it and eliminate the culprit starting with the less expensive items. Remember, just because a battery is new does not mean it's good.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
If you hear the clicking, it has already gone past the clutch safety switch. (If you press the start button without depressing the clutch, you will hear nothing.)

When you hear clicking, the relays and solenoids are trying to start the car. Usually, it's the battery or battery terminals (positive or negative) and the starter is not getting enough current to crank. It can also be a loose connection on the main positive cable underneath on the starter solenoid. Occasionally it's a bad ground or control module.

If the car is under warranty, let the dealer sort it out. If not, try to isolate it and eliminate the culprit starting with the less expensive items. Remember, just because a battery is new does not mean it's good.
I'm not sure I agree with you. The clicking that he's hearing is not the starter solenoid but rather a relay...only. I believe you'll get a relay "click" even without depressing the clutch. If I had my Vette here, I'd try it..I've been wrong before!!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input. I am going to check & clean all the terminals especially the one to the starter solenoid. The clicking sound is definitely relays.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
I'm not sure I agree with you. The clicking that he's hearing is not the starter solenoid but rather a relay...only. I believe you'll get a relay "click" even without depressing the clutch. If I had my Vette here, I'd try it..I've been wrong before!!
Went out and tried it - even without depressing the clutch you will still get the clicking sound. To the op - do you get any kind of message on the DIC when this happens. This sounds like what happens to me when I have the fob in my left pocket and the car won't recognize the fob.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
designertony
Intermediate

I will check to see if there is a message on the DIC. Again thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 AM
derekmines
Intermediate

I'm suffering from the exact same issue here in Dubai (another hot place... co-incidence?) It took nearly 5 minutes to get my C6 to start this morning.

I'm fairly sure I get just relay clicks as well, but will pay attention to the posts above and start the troubleshooting process.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

If I don't push my clutch All the way down mine will do this every time.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
derekmines
Intermediate

Originally Posted by derekmines
I'm suffering from the exact same issue here in Dubai (another hot place... co-incidence?) It took nearly 5 minutes to get my C6 to start this morning.

I'm fairly sure I get just relay clicks as well, but will pay attention to the posts above and start the troubleshooting process.
OK, went to start the car after work today and the usual.... press the start button, i hear an electrical noise like something releasing, the gauges swing to the end and back again but there's not even a hint of starting.

5 or 6 button presses later she fired up fine.

Going to pay special attention to the clutch position tomorrow morning when I start up to go to work... make sure it's not just me!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 AM
derekmines
Intermediate

Clutch is positioned all the way down and I've been taking care to leave the front wheels straight ahead when parking, no change.

The car's actually getting worse, it took nearly 3 minutes and about 20 button presses before she suddenly fired into life this morning.

Any further thoughts as to cause?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Check Battery volts on the DIC before starting.

Post those please.

Get notified of new replies

To Start Button problem

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Scooter275
Instructor

Make sure battery terminals are connected tight. Mine have worked themselves loose.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been having the same problem with my C6, I have cleaned the connections, put new cable ends on it, new battery, the whole nine. The one thing I noticed it if I put jumper cables on it, it usually starts but may take 1-3 pushes of the starter button, when I push it I get a click, everything else is normal, no DIC and lights all work fine and normal.

Now I am getting it to start more consistently but it sound like the same problem. Here is my thread with all the things I have done already. So I am wondering if it is the push button switch?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1587232571

Any ideas?

More information: 2005 C6 Convertible, LS2, Automatic, new battery, new battery terminals, cleaned all connections except the ground behind the motor and the connections on the starter due to cannot reach them.

If I press the start button or press and hold the start button, it will usually start between 1 to 4 attempts doing this. Hopefully this will help.

Last edited by GhostC6; 06-27-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 PM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostC6
I have been having the same problem with my C6, I have cleaned the connections, put new cable ends on it, new battery, the whole nine. The one thing I noticed it if I put jumper cables on it, it usually starts but may take 1-3 pushes of the starter button, when I push it I get a click, everything else is normal, no DIC and lights all work fine and normal.

Now I am getting it to start more consistently but it sound like the same problem. Here is my thread with all the things I have done already. So I am wondering if it is the push button switch?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1587232571

Any ideas?

More information: 2005 C6 Convertible, LS2, Automatic, new battery, new battery terminals, cleaned all connections except the ground behind the motor and the connections on the starter due to cannot reach them.

If I press the start button or press and hold the start button, it will usually start between 1 to 4 attempts doing this. Hopefully this will help.
I know this is an old post but I am having the same issue you describe just got the battery back and it is fully charged. Going to pull the starter this week. I have the same car as yours. Did you figured out what was the problem.I press the start button several time but it does nothing. I do hear the relays clicking but not the starter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Start Button problem