Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ** "Seconds before disaster video" LS7 valve guide wear, how to check for it **

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
619grappler
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe some of the doubters will change their minds now that such an experienced and reputable shop like ECS has put out a video.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
We have been replacing so many LS7 heads lately here that we decided to put a video together of what the damage actually looks like for you guys to see first hand who do not do this stuff regularly.

It seems that almost every LS7 coming in here with 20k or more on the odometer (06-07 especially) has excessive wear and often the owner does not know it. The cars are getting dropped off for a supercharger or cam etc, but we have to start with repairing the heads first. To the point that we have a half dozen rotating LS7 heads in the works at all times now to shorten the wait for the customers.

It has come to the point where we can tell just by listening to the car, if you hold the RPM up to roughly 2k you can hear the play in the drive train. A handful of the owners just thought it's how the engine sounds since they bought the car second hand and are amazed how much quieter it is after repairing the cylinder heads. I do not have a video of that sorry, but here is a video of what the wear looks like itself.

good point it seems 20-30k is the sweet spot. as far as wear goes. most failures I've seen have been close to this ...again thanks for posting your findings
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
Exaclty how many is "so many replaced LS7 head" and have you ever checked Vavles that where in tolerance?
These questions never seem to get an answer. Only the bad examples seem to get mentioned.!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 619grappler
Maybe some of the doubters will change their minds now that such an experienced and reputable shop like ECS has put out a video.

Some will, because for the most part, this membership is a rational thinking group. They aren't stupid.

This is the reason why you see more and more people, particularly those in here out of warranty, taking the necessary steps to protect themselves, as the evidence, to include dropped valves, and excessively worn valve guides, continues to pile up, despite previous beliefs.

Sane people, and have no doubt about it, most of this membership is sane, don't play Russian roulette with their engines and their wallets. Especially in the midst of arguments by some that it is "safe", and your odds are somehow "good".

However, that said, you will still have a few racking up highway miles and insisting that there is no issue
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
These questions never seem to get an answer. Only the bad examples seem to get mentioned.!
That's because we almost never have members on here that don't have wear, even WCCH hardly ever gets any without wear. But I know you will prolly think he just says that to help with business, but if u have ever talked to Rich u will quickly learn that's not the case
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 619grappler
Nah. It's much easier to start a new thread which calls out all of the owners who've never had this problem.
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
That's because we almost never have members on here that don't have wear, even WCCH hardly ever gets any without wear. But I know you will prolly think he just says that to help with business, but if u have ever talked to Rich u will quickly learn that's not the case
True, but some doubters just will not pick up the phone to learn for themselves.
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,027 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Even though I still have 2+ years of GMPP on my bone stock late 06 build 07 Z (no noise/smoke @ 15K miles) this makes me sick to my stomach!

I wish someone would put a shopping list together of what it would take to make the worry go away.

Heads, rockers, springs, valves, guides, push rods, gaskets, bolts, etc.

Thank you for this info Doug!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by spicytuna
Nah. It's much easier to start a new thread which calls out all of the owners who've never had this problem.
those that never had a problem yet or those that have not even checked for the problem....yet..LOL
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
True, but some doubters just will not pick up the phone to learn for themselves.
thats the part I don't understand ..anyone that works on these heads will tell you the same
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Even though I still have 2+ years of GMPP on my bone stock late 06 build 07 Z (no noise/smoke @ 15K miles) this makes me sick to my stomach!

I wish someone would put a shopping list together of what it would take to make the worry go away.

that list has been done many times over. first things first, just check your guides. simple 20 minutes. make your belly ache go away.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Agreed, the valves at best should be replaced to a better quality so at least the face wont fall off and grenade everything if a problem was to occur. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just suggesting what I did with my own 0 mile LS7 engine.
Hmmmmm, where have i heard this before. Sooner or later people will believe and until then good luck with their ticking timebomb!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I understand.

But better to be sick you your stomach, than sick to your wallet, like some of those in here who were bull headed and didn't believe that this matter was a real problem, and who have suffered a valve failure w/o benefit of a GMPP like what you have.

In your case, at least you have that GMPP, but on the other side of it, if you do have your heads checked and find them to be bad, then all they will do is give you another set of crap stock heads.

Heads destined for the same issue, but next time, when your GMPP has expired, and their failure will be on your dime instead of theirs.

They have.

Cash out that GMPP and put the refund dough towards a set of WCCH heads, and rest easy about this issue, for long after that GMPP that the clock is running on, and which will only give you a new set of crap stock heads, would have expired.

See above

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Hmmmmm, where have i heard this before. Sooner or later people will believe and until then good luck with their ticking timebomb!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Set of WCCH Stage 2 heads or PRC265cc heads with new stock gaskets, good dual valve springs, new head bolts or arp head studs, and measure for pushrods at install. Is what you need along with coolant and oil/filter. Also a tune is required if you do port work or PRC 265cc heads.

Someone can add anything else required if I missed something

Last edited by LS9Drew; 04-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

great video. i did the same test with dial indicator. i positioned the dial indicator at the 12-6 oclock position and at 9-3 oclock position w valves slightly off the seat is how i got my worst measurement. i found my wear to be much worse wiggling the valves at 12-6 oclock vs 9-3 oclock position in this demonstration. what im saying is my heads showed more wear up and down vs left to right. quite a few of my exhuast valves during wiggle test measured .028-.030!!!!! yes thats right......more than double of this demonstration. give these guys a call and let them check your valve guides. DO IT!!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Bob, if I end up making the lunch tomorrow we can chat...a few folks have already posted up here what is needed. I will show you my invoice from WCCH so you can see the list of parts , that address the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To ** "Seconds before disaster video" LS7 valve guide wear, how to check for it **

Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Hey Doug...Glad you are on top of this. I will be at your shop before the factory warranty on my Z expires.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsports
Thanks, Doug, for putting that video together. Good stuff.

We got a couple of these going as we speak.
Carlos I spoke to Howard Tanner about 6 months ago over this issue he said you guys haven't seen this before. how many have you guys seen now?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, dumb question:

How difficult is it to check the valve movement for a Joe at home? I've never done valve train work, but I consider myself decent around the engine bay, I have installed longtubes on my Fbody and installed boltons on various cars. Is it as simple as pulling the valve covers, removing springs and rockers, and checking movement?

Thanks

Quick Reply: [Z06] ** "Seconds before disaster video" LS7 valve guide wear, how to check for it **