Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Halltech quarter panels with rock screens

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Halltech quarter panels with rock screens

I'm not selling these, they are way too expensive to make and little profit, but I thought I would illustrate what I had suspected all along.

After driving just 50 miles today, mostly freeway, at the 25 mile point, there were exactly 2 rocks caught on the right side and 5 on the left (smaller). This thanks to the front Pilot Sport Cup fly paper tires. I just vacuumed out around 150 rocks or so on each side before installing our carbon duct bezels. I spent about 1 hour shaping, cutting and bonding screens that look fine, but do they work!!!

The panel is our new 2.5lb carbon fiber 1/4 panel paint matched. It is so nicely finished that I now have to finish the car with carbon doors. The inner part of the duct bezels are not sealed right now, so that I can remove them, but permanent bonding would hug it closer to the paint. With fresh paint I would rather have someone ask why they don't fit than wreck the paint. The rocks hit the carbon fiber and do no damage.

During this process I also sealed the inner fender to the outer fender with our hood seal material where rocks fly off into the cracks.

I am going to run 355 Corsas on the street when we get the CR-9s in next month.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 06-27-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bedouin
Good info Jim & Thanks...I plan to clean/empty out my rear brake duct tubes next time the wheels are off & am curious what's involved in removing them.
The rocks will end up either in the ductwork or hit the rear brakes.

I do not use the ductwork, saving 2.2lbs. 80% of our braking is the front ceramic carbon units.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Perforated sheet (steel. alum, SS) is available in several gauges and % of free area, hole sizes, and patterns. It's tremendously easier to work with than the basket weave screen wire and has the advantage of easy cleaning. Since the sheet can be laser or water jet cut, it may become profitable to manufacture. Of course, the CF is a whole 'nuther deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech quarter panels with rock screens

Quick Reply: [Z06] Halltech quarter panels with rock screens