Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Your Z looks great, it's a car you love and I would assume has been trouble free during your ownership. Three very good reasons to keep the Vette.

But like you mention, sometimes you just need a change. Look at it this way, if you made the change it's not like you could never go back to Vette ownership again.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I think the Viper is a great looking American car. But the Z out performs it on the track. But only by a small amount. Its a little heavier and and a little less balanced.so the extra HP is not too much help.

Again, It is a beautiful car in any color.

My Z with new crate engine and limited bolt on's is an asphalt beast. I love it. I would not make the change.
2012 Corvette Z06 Z07 Nurburgring: 7:22
2012 Corvette ZR1 Nurburgring: 7:19
2010 Viper ACR Nurburgring: 7:12
Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Pros and Cons to both.

I've been a Viper owner for 16 years now. As stated earlier, aftermarket parts for the Viper are triple the cost of what you will pay for Corvette parts. Why? They build so few Vipers every year. A good year of Viper production will be just over 1,000 units. Paying $3,000 to $4,000 for headers sucks. Also, Corvette guys work on their cars. You can come here with ANY question, and you will get 20 guys helping you. You have tons of threads with photos showing how to do ANYTHING. There are WAY fewer Viper owners, and most of those guys do not work on their own cars. I ask tech questions, and get nothing back. I love turning wrenches and getting together with the guys to put on our own high speed autocross, etc. The Viper guys want to pay to have their cars transported to a road course 1,500 miles away and fly in for a week of road racing (and they pay shops to prep their cars on site at the track so they just fly in and out). OK, I can't swing that kind of cash! LOL!

SO, why do I own one? Because it is a brutal SOB. A bolt action hunting rifle vs an AR-15. The Viper is like using a howitzer to play pin the tail on the donkey. Why do we love the Z06 instead of the 911? Same thing, the Z06 is one mean mother. The 911 is too much of a girls car IMO. I respect the hell out of the GT3 Porsche, but it just isn't "me". I hope I'm making sense. The Z06 and Viper are a lot alike, actually. Probably why I want a Z06 so badly! LOL! I've had great luck with Viper being bulletproof. The LS7 nightmare is why I do not yet own a Z06. I'm watching and waiting for solutions to be found, that is why I keep coming here.

A friend of mine left his Z06 with me for a few weeks while we tried to diagnose a problem, and I drove it to work each day. The comments from coworkers irritated me. "Yea, I had a 1980 Corvette, and man, that V8 would FLY!". I couldn't get these asshats to grasp the level of performance the Z06 has. I never get that with my Viper because there is NO "base level" Viper.

Finally, my wife can attest to the fact that I am well endowed, so the earlier post has no merit. LOL! You have an awesome car, and are considering an awesome car. Good luck which ever way you go.

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 11-03-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 AM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the look of the Viper and was planning on buying one until my neighbor offered to let me take his out for a spin......drove it for a block and a half and immediately disliked it...didn't like the sound, cramped interior......rode like a truck. Driving it will help you make up your mind. I took out a Z06 and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.....sounds great with the Akrapovic exhaust and gets 30 mpg imperial on the highway and has not had one issue. Its an 08...
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode in a viper on the track and couldn't help but thinking it was a POS the entire time
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
2012 Corvette Z06 Z07 Nurburgring: 7:22
2012 Corvette ZR1 Nurburgring: 7:19
2010 Viper ACR Nurburgring: 7:12
Dodge Viper SRT-10: 7:59

The ACR isn't what is being discussed here. Besides, they added just a little bit of downforce to the ACR in order for it to corner the way it does:

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After test driving '05 Viper, it was too tight a fit.. I gave up luggage room, and most of all didn't like how windshield was curved and how this distorted objects/cars from my left side view. This maybe because I am tall but the sale rep noticed this as well. Stock shifter wasn't as good IMO. Coming from a HUD to that was be pretty big negative. I couldn't see the speed I was doing.

Honestly I could taken car out longer for test drive but didn't take long know that car wasn't it for me.

Last edited by chrisfromalbany; 11-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1Pat
I'll never buy a dodge again... The viper will handle "good" to a person that has never pushed either car to their limits. Also, they look dated.
Agree 100% Way too many issues with past Dodge products to ever consider another. That and I think the styling and performance of the Zs are a step above. My .02
Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by m.whitmell
I like the look of the Viper and was planning on buying one until my neighbor offered to let me take his out for a spin......drove it for a block and a half and immediately disliked it...didn't like the sound, cramped interior......rode like a truck. Driving it will help you make up your mind. I took out a Z06 and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.....sounds great with the Akrapovic exhaust and gets 30 mpg imperial on the highway and has not had one issue. Its an 08...
Couldn't agree more! Go drive the car and that will wipe the smile off your face. Its too much to put up with.. Cramped, bumpy, you look DOWN at the hood instead of even with it... I couldn't wait to get out of the D#@! car. And don't get me started on the ac vent being pointed at your CROTCH *maybe they changed that in the gen4's). Pretty but not functional AT ALL.

Even if you only ride in the passenger's side, you'll get what we're talking about. The sound sucks (stock), sounds like a 4 cylinder. And I'm not being a hater. I have plenty of friends with one.. More power to em... I think you can go from a Viper to a Z06 (plenty have) but not in reverse. Those I know that have traded their Z's for a Viper.. regretted it. Cost of parts plus all the stuff I and others mentioned.

So NOT worth it JMO. Go drive it and judge for yourself. It's your money $$$
Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
AZCE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always loved the look of the Viper but to tell you the truth you would be down grading. The Z06 out performs the Vipers, better mpg and just overall better car.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:17 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I sat in an 06 Viper a few days ago. Hated it. First one I have ever been in. Very cramped and very uncomfortable. I stayed in it about 2 minutes and wanted out.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Don't do it---take a Z on a 4 hour road trip and then do the same in the Viper. Run Forest Run to the Z.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 PM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

I owned a Viper, and I own a C6 now. Not a Z, but I can give you some perspective on what owning a Viper is like. Some of the opinions here are reasonable. Other opinions make it clear that they have never driven a Viper. Here are a few thoughts on each.

Build quality: Viper is more solidly put together, top to bottom. I see some people have said they would never own a Dodge product. This one is different from the others. I remember when I had the car inspected, the mechanic could not believe the precision of how well the car was put together. The C6 is not poor in this category, but some things definitely feel a little more...flimsy. Hard to describe. My point: C6 build quality is fine, Viper build quality is very good.

Sound: With a full exhaust, the Viper sounded awesome. It's no LS7 in the sound department, but then again I think that the LS7 has one of the best exhaust notes ever.

Excitement: Hands down the Viper is more exciting to drive. It's more work to drive, but it's also thrilling. The C6 has confidence inspiring handling - the Viper (intentionally) has handling that scares you. It may not make sense to some Vette owners, but that fear is part of the big appeal of the Viper. It's never boring.

Gawk Factor: No contest here. People ask to take pictures, women ask you to marry them, you are constantly approached, etc in the Viper. The Vette kind of blends in a bit more, which can be a good thing at times. If I were really into car shows, I probably would have kept the Viper.

Comfort: I found the Viper comfortable enough. Honestly, a lot of Vette drivers are old and can't handle the raw race car ride. The C6 is far more comfortable, which is great on road trips, daily driving, traffic, etc.

So if the Viper was so great, why did I sell it and get a C6? Other than needing to free up some money for more school, it was the every day practicality of the C6. There were so very few situations where driving the Viper was worth it, that I mostly took my DD Cobalt instead.

Whenever I was considering driving the Viper, I had to ask myself these questions:

- Is it rainy or will it be rainy?
- Is it above 50 degrees F? (have to baby it below that temperature due to traction)
- Do I have a headache?
- Am I in a state of mind to pay that much attention to driving?
- Am I going to the ghetto? (Car is a lightning rod for attention - good and bad)
- Do I want to put more miles on my car when anything over 19k miles is high mileage in a Viper? (car is reliable, but most examples are pristine)
- Am I going on a long trip where my cruise control is my right foot?
- Will I hit traffic?
- Will I have a covered place to park it?
- etc etc etc

See where I'm going with this? It's too easy to never drive the Viper. The C6 is more common, less tiresome, more comfortable, and more practical. That means I spend more miles driving a car I really enjoy versus my DD.

Hope this helps you decide on what to do! Personally, I think you shouldn't give up your C6Z, but that's just me.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

Wow a ton of helpful info in this thread, thanks for all the good posts. The Viper is a great car but I think keeping my Z06 might be the best option for me. If I had the money I would add one to my garage in a heart beat, but I think I would really miss my Z06 if I got rid of it. It's a great car and by far my favorite car that I have owned. It sounds great, is paid for, reliable, looks nice, is pushing around 600hp like the Viper and I feel safe driving it knowing that I have traction control. Some posts mentioned that Vipers look dated but I still think the 4th generation cars look beautiful. Vipers are pretty rare around here, I think I only saw two all summer.

Last edited by 2008corvette; 11-04-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by teking
They look like a hard top miata's big brother. Think I'm full of it? Look at the shape of that green Viper in the first post and picture a hard top Miata.

For reference: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=39
Lol that's funny because I've always called Miata's pocket Vipers.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Answer is easy here, Just go to a ZR1 low mile 12' and 13' with the new seats and interior up date.
I have 2008 Z06 I love it death but it's time to move to 2012
ZR1. Thought about other cars but stayed with the Vette!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 PM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have considered this many times. But I want an 06 coupe because of the problems with modding a gen 4. The Viper is like an old muscle car and especially an old Cobra. Probably why the goal was to build a modern day cobra in the first place and why Carroll Shelby was consulted on the viper in the first days. The coupes look very similar to the Shelby Dayton coupe, which is a good thing.

A Z is a better car, I don't think that can be disputed as far as daily driving, comfort and amenities, etc... But a new corvette is was better than say a 67 convertible with a 435 hp big block 427. But I sure wouldn't mind having one of those.

I'm keeping my Z for many reasons, but I do love Vipers and will have one eventually. Let us know what you do and how you feel about it afterwards.

One more thing, you are the original owner of your car, you wouldn't be the original owner of a gen 4 Viper or another c6z if you wanted to come back.

Get notified of new replies

To Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ghoust
I loved mine. I would say go for it. Life is too short to be with one car...
A few years ago I would have said: h3ll no, keep the Z.....

Don't get me wrong, the Vette is/was my first luv so to speak...but as someone already stated, life's too short to ode to only one car maker, especially when that car maker is (GM) and (GM) does NOT deserve total owner loyalty. At least, not in my eyes as it "use to be".

Took me a few years to figure that one out having "ONLY" bought GM products my entire life , but, I would say, h3ll yes, get the Viper and see how ya like it. Both cars have their own individual attributes, both good and bad.

Add: I would imagine Viper will hold value better, but, being use to having traction control you would need to take it easy until you 'learn the car' so to speak.

Last edited by tim414; 11-06-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
texasagz06
Heel & Toe

Agree with most everything that's been said here...

I've driven in both and the Viper is very uncomfortable, especially if you are a big guy (6'4" here).

The interior of the Vipers with the exception of the latest version look like a complete afterthought. They look and feel ultra cheap to me. Even though I wouldn't call the Z's interior, ultra-refined...it's a heckuva lot better than the Viper's interior.

The sound of the Viper in my opinion also is rather dull and uninspiring.

As for the looks, don't let anyone tell you they don't look sexy as hell. Viper's are hot cars and certainly a lot more rare than something you can buy in a "base" form as mentioned before. If you are wanting to stick out in the crowd more, I'd definitely say the Viper is the way to go.

Just not nearly as refined feeling as compared to the Z. Mine feels like the best blend of civilized and animal...
Old 11-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Ok, its late, and I'm tired, so I am going to sum this up as quick as I can.

I just sold my 2006 C6 Z and bought a 2009 (600HP) Viper Coupe this past July after 3 years of ownership and I loved my Z06, and would have most likely kept it for another 2 years, if the valve guide/valve issue was not so prevalent on this forum.

That being said I have always really LOVED the sytling of the 08-10 Viper Coupes (more than the C6 Z), they look like modern day Cobra Daytonas, are super exlcusive/rare, and the 600 ponies and 560 ft lbs of torque from the factory was always something I wanted, LOVED, and was fascinated by in a n/aspirated bullit proof application.

In a perfect world I would own both cars still.

Bottom line, they are two completely differnt animals and I LOVE my VIper and have no regrets, but my only big issue is I miss the rumble of a bad azz V8 engine, and despite putting on high flow cats and Corsas on my Viper, I am still getting use to the sound which is WAY different, espcially at idle (does not sound that good), as the firing order of a V 10 engine is way differnt than what we are all use to hearing in a V8.

The Viper is raw power, a true drivers car, with 0 nanny controls and that you have to respect at all times, as the massive power it makes from its n/a 511 ci engine is enough to lose it in a straight line in second gear (almost lost it a few times going into second strong and laying into the throttle). The interior fit you like a race car which I like but I could see where its way more confing for a bigger guy, I am 5 "10" so not a problem for me.

The C6 Z powered by it LS7 engine is a faster revving piece of artwork (but to the general public just another corvette) where the VIPER is a lot more rare and exotic, you just don't see then around hardly at all.

My wife who get clautsophopic in tight quarters amazingly feels that she is more comforatlbe riding in the VIper, as the racing seats do fit you like a glove and she claims she feels way more connected while driving as a pasenger in the Viper vs. the Z, which is very surprising to me b/c the cockpit does feel like a race car, and the car has blind spots compared to the Z06 Vette.

BOttom line, I have no reseravations about my decision and would do it again, a significant factor being the valve issue and lack of confidence with the reliablity of my Z06's LS7 engine, but do miss the rumble of the V8 engine my LS7 purred out.

I definitely prefer the AGGRESSIVE syling of the 08-10 Viper Coupes, don't like the verts, and I feel the syling of the GEN 4 VIper Coupe is considerable more aggressive, exotic, and AC Cobra looking of a race car than the Z. I would not be ever a Viper other than a 2008+ model b/c I am captivated by the 600 (underated ) warrantied horsepower from the factory. For those who think the styling of a 08-10 Coupe is outdated, well I could not disagree with you more, as that style will never be dated, it just screams bad azz, American exotic race car!

Final advice for anyone considering this: Drive the Viper for at least an entire day and see if it is a fit for you b/c for many it not, as it is a true driver's car, street legal race car, in your raw power, with 0 nanny controls. And yes, I have to admit, the Viper is definitely more of a Chick Magnet than my C6 Z, which looked awesome in black with it black wheels.! Another plus for the 2008-10 VIper, is the engine and driveline is truely bullet proof, and the 2008-10 car is more comfortable to drive than most would imagine. THe older sytle clown shoe models from the 1990s I actually hate, except for the GTS Coupes, and you would not catch me dead in the old school 90s version clown shoes.

FYI, both cars were essentially a weekend and nice weather driver for me, where I would put on about 4000 miles a year. On long hauls I would say the vette is more comfortable but the 08-10 Vipers are pretty comfortalbe too, way better than the earlier year Vipers. Now I could have bought a ZR1 and struggled with that decision, but it all came down to the unique exclusivity of the Viper over a Corvette, and the valve issues left a bad taste in my mouth and when I heard from Katech they were seeing premature in the LS9 valve guides also, well that made my decision that much easier.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-08-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?