Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Ok, its late, and I'm tired, so I am going to sum this up as quick as I can.

I just sold my 2006 C6 Z and bought a 2009 (600HP) Viper Coupe this past July after 3 years of ownership and I loved my Z06, and would have most likely kept it for another 2 years, if the valve guide/valve issue was not so prevalent on this forum.

That being said I have always really LOVED the sytling of the 08-10 Viper Coupes (more than the C6 Z), they look like modern day Cobra Daytonas, are super exlcusive/rare, and the 600 ponies and 560 ft lbs of torque from the factory was always something I wanted, LOVED, and was fascinated by in a n/aspirated bullit proof application.

In a perfect world I would own both cars still.

Bottom line, they are two completely differnt animals and I LOVE my VIper and have no regrets, but my only big issue is I miss the rumble of a bad azz V8 engine, and despite putting on high flow cats and Corsas on my Viper, I am still getting use to the sound which is WAY different, espcially at idle (does not sound that good), as the firing order of a V 10 engine is way differnt than what we are all use to hearing in a V8.

The Viper is raw power, a true drivers car, with 0 nanny controls and that you have to respect at all times, as the massive power it makes from its n/a 511 ci engine is enough to lose it in a straight line in second gear (almost lost it a few times going into second strong and laying into the throttle). The interior fit you like a race car which I like but I could see where its way more confing for a bigger guy, I am 5 "10" so not a problem for me.

The C6 Z powered by it LS7 engine is a faster revving piece of artwork (but to the general public just another corvette) where the vette is a lot more rare and exotic, you just don't see then around hardly at all.

My wife who get clautsophopic in tight quarters amazingly feels that she is more comforatlbe riding in the VIper, as the racing seats do fit you like a glove and she claims she feels way more connected while driving as a pasenger in the Viper vs. the Z, which is very surprising to me b/c the cockpit does feel like a race car, and the car has blind spots compared to the Z06 Vette.

BOttom line, I have no reseravations about my decision and would do it again, a significant factor being the valve issue and lack of confidence with the reliablity of my Z06's LS7 engine, but do miss the rumble of the V8 engine my LS7 purred out.

I definitely prefer the AGGRESSIVE syling of the 08-10 Viper Coupes, don't like the verts, and I feel the syling of the GEN 4 VIper Coupe is considerable more aggressive, exotic, and AC Cobra looking of a race car than the Z. I would not be ever a Viper other than a 2008+ model b/c I am captivated by the 600 (underated ) warrantied horsepower from the factory. For those who think the styling of a 08-10 Coupe is outdated, well I could not disagree with you more, as that style will never be dated, it just screams bad azz, American exotic race car!

Final advice for anyone considering this: Drive the Viper for at least an entire day and see if it is a fit for you b/c for many it not, as it is a true driver's car, street legal race car, in your raw power, with 0 nanny controls. And yes, I have to admit, the Viper is definitely more of a Chick Magnet than my C6 Z, which looked awesome in black with it black wheels.! Another plus for the 2008-10 VIper, is the engine and driveline is truely bullet proof, and the 2008-10 car is more comfortable to drive than most would imagine. THe older sytle clown shoe models from the 1990s I actually hate, except for the GTS Coupes, and you would not catch me dead in the old school 90s version clown shoes.

FYI, both cars were essentially a weekend and nice weather driver for me, where I would put on about 4000 miles a year. On long hauls I would say the vette is more comfortable but the 08-10 Vipers are pretty comfortalbe too, way better than the earlier year Vipers. Now I could have bought a ZR1 and struggled with that decision, but it all came down to the unique exclusivity of the Viper over a Corvette, and the valve issues left a bad taste in my mouth and when I heard from Katech they were seeing premature in the LS9 valve guides also, well that made my decision that much easier.
You'll need one more edit when you wake up.

And with a name like Mopar Jimmy, I don't think anyone would be surprised by your opinion.

I do love the looks of the Viper and would own one if not for the fact that I'm 6' 4" and over 300 pounds (but not for long). I have just enough room in my C6Z to be comfortable. My C5Z was cramped where headroom is concerned. So there's really no way I could ever own a Viper. Sounds a lot like my wife's Solstice GXP on interior space.

EDIT: Well, perhaps there's more room than I thought: http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...iper-65-a.html

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Funny,

I just came back from an SRT dealer on Saturday and looked at a 2013/14 model. Dealer told me they will get an orange one in three month. Nice looks, excellent interior! I wanted a Viper for a long time but my Z06 mods have kept me at base because it get more looks

However, I'm seriously considering it....the SRT Viper brochure alone is like a book

Last edited by andy82; 11-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andy82
Funny,

I just came back from an SRT dealer on Saturday and looked at a 2013/14 model. Dealer told me they will get an orange one in three month. Nice looks, excellent interior! I wanted a Viper for a long time but my Z06 mods have kept me at base because it get more looks

However, I'm seriously considering it....the SRT Viper brochure alone is like a book

Both of those are BEAUTIFUL! But outside of just looks.. the vette is better all the way around JMO
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by EViL427
You'll need one more edit when you wake up.

And with a name like Mopar Jimmy, I don't think anyone would be surprised by your opinion.

I do love the looks of the Viper and would own one if not for the fact that I'm 6' 4" and over 300 pounds (but not for long). I have just enough room in my C6Z to be comfortable. My C5Z was cramped where headroom is concerned. So there's really no way I could ever own a Viper. Sounds a lot like my wife's Solstice GXP on interior space.

EDIT: Well, perhaps there's more room than I thought: http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...iper-65-a.html
You certainly got that right my friend that I need one more edit when I wake up.

This is the first time I have been vette less in 20 years and my local vette buddies here on the forum nick named me Mopar Jimmy, primarily b/c I have owned a lot off different classic Mopar Muscle Cars over the last 10 years.

Below is the one last BIG edit I needed to make when I posted up last night at 1:45 a.m.

"The C6 Z powered by it LS7 engine is a faster revving piece of artwork (but to the general public just another corvette) where the VIPER is a lot more rare and exotic, you just don't see then around hardly at all."

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-08-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

bro we are the same age and I had the cars in the reverse order . I had a viper srt-10 first in 09 and then I had an 08 z06 for 3 years and now I have an 03 z06.

needless to say u dont see 2 vipers on the list , you see 2 Z's ...

Viper has that exotic look, its uncomfortable to drive, it doesnt hook as well as the Z, it gets hot as all hell in the cockpit due to the exhaust and cat placement.

and insurance is more money than the z06. oh and performance parts are more money...

and its a dodge... ive owned duplicates of every car manufacturer but dodge...enough said...
Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Lethal427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say, is the Viper is lovely,nice long lines, Dodge has done a excellent job!!, however, all things considered, the best part of a Z06 is the sound this motor makes at WOT ( Wide Open Throttle)!!!! the Viper sounds terrible! rins the whole thing, so, think hard, Also, Viper really a car for the track. Good luck, still, 2 very fast cars!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:32 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like them both,and both are great track cars too. If you can't afford to own both,and the car was going to be a daily driver. I would stick with the vette..
Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Lethal427
All I can say, is the Viper is lovely,nice long lines, Dodge has done a excellent job!!, however, all things considered, the best part of a Z06 is the sound this motor makes at WOT ( Wide Open Throttle)!!!! the Viper sounds terrible! rins the whole thing, so, think hard, Also, Viper really a car for the track. Good luck, still, 2 very fast cars!!!
I agree the V 10 sound of the Viper with the stock exhaust does not sound good at all, its decent at WOT, but sounds like crap otherwise.
But the C6 Z stock exhaust does not sound good either b/c its too quiet (except at WOT) and you can't hear that LS7 engine singing, and bottome line aftermarket exhaust is a must on both cars.

BUT, with aftermarket exhaust (I have the race Corsas and high flow cats) my 09 Viper Coupe sounds very MEAN, especially when you start hot rodding it or go WOT. It sounds like a Viper Race Car, with its own exotic race car sound. BUT I will admit nothing beats the sounds of a mean V8, like the LS7, with aftermarket exhaust, and I definitely prefer the sound of the performance V8 of the LS7 with exhaust vs. the V 10Exhaust sound of the Viper (with aftermarket exhaust).

Stock for stock the 08-10 Viper slightly beats the stock C6 Z06 in all performance categories, including braking (barely), and has a top end of 202 mph vs. the C6 Z06s 198 mph. For those who disagree with this statement research it, I spent a lot of time researching the all basic performance categories b/f making the change this July.

Both are awesome cars, with the Viper being WAY more rare, exclusive and exotic. I literally have only seen 3 in the last 10 years driving on the streets and highways the past 10 years in the Chicago Metro area vs. thousands of vettes.

To the average person the C6 Z is just another corvette. To the car performance car enthusiat its an AWESOME machine with its fast revving high rpm 427 LS7 engine and light weight, and a VERY speical high performance sports car, best bang for the $ on the market for sure. To the average person they see the Viper and their head is on a swivel, as the aggessive race car styling is just bold and in your face (talking about the coupe or an ACR (not the roadster) and the Viper just screams race car to anyone who sees it, young or old). I can also personlly vouch for the fact that 08-10 Viper is WAY more of a chick magnet than my old C6 Z (always a nice plus, espeically if your single).

Bottom line, I always prefered and LOVED the 08+ Viper Coupes when they came out with their 600 n/a ponies from the factory and way more aggressive styling vs the C6 Z. Couple this fact with all this LS7 engines having major engine problems, this was a big factor in my decision and having made the trade. The 2008-10 Viper's engine and entire driveline are bullit proof, and its great to beat the crap out of the car with 0 worries of the engine fragging when I'm hot rodding the car, or crusing down the highway with my wife. In my C6 Z, the darned LS7 valve issue night mare was always in the back of my mind and swapping to the Viper was my permanent fix for the Valve issues with the LS7.

Now don't me wrong this is the first time I have been vette less in 20 years and I love Vettes. If I had the extra scratch I would add a C6 ZR1 to my garage, to sit next my 3 Silver Dodge Hot Rods, 2008 Hemi Challenger SRT8 (everyday driver), my 2009 Viper Coupe (VOI edition) and my classic nostagilc super stock drag race tribute car-1965 Dodge Coronet (hardtop), performance built 383 engine, turn key, drive it anywhere, which I enjoyed having out all afternoon today (Saturday).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

I've been looking at Ebay Motors daily ever since I posted this thread, going back and forth on the Viper. I've for sure narrowed out the 08-10 model years that I originally wanted, I read too many crash horror stories online so the idea of no traction control or ABS scared me away. I don't want to fear driving my car. So now I've been looking at the new 2013's. I went to look at a red SRT GTS at a dealership today, it had a window sticker of $150k so it's way out of my price range but I just wanted to see one in person anyways. They had it all roped off so it was hard to get a good look at it up close but it looked really nice. So my new plan is to maybe get one down the road. The only thing that would be holding me back now would be the sound of the car. I watched a ton of Viper youtube videos with both stock and aftermarket exhaust and I haven't ran across one that sounds good yet.

I decided to check out the C7 today as well, it does look alot better in person I'll admit.

Last edited by 2008corvette; 11-09-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind, apparently the new vipers cant be tuned.. So Id guess power adders are out of the question unless you want to go standalone..

Vipers are cool, but Id prob get a 997 turbo If I were to switch

good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 2008corvette
I've been looking at Ebay Motors daily ever since I posted this thread, going back and forth on the Viper. I've for sure narrowed out the 08-10 model years that I originally wanted, I read too many crash horror stories online so the idea of no traction control or ABS scared me away. I don't want to fear driving my car. So now I've been looking at the new 2013's. I went to look at a red SRT GTS at a dealership today, it had a window sticker of $150k so it's way out of my price range but I just wanted to see one in person anyways. They had it all roped off so it was hard to get a good look at it up close but it looked really nice. So my new plan is to maybe get one down the road. The only thing that would be holding me back now would be the sound of the car. I watched a ton of Viper youtube videos with both stock and aftermarket exhaust and I haven't ran across one that sounds good yet.

I decided to check out the C7 today as well, it does look alot better in person I'll admit.
You just have to be smart with the 08-10 Vper and understand its power potential with no nanny controls, and you won't wreck it. ITS a beast, you have to respect the power, but its not bad if your smart about it. I have to admit the power they make and knowing if you get it stupid over your head you can lose the car makes you a better driver and is part of the challenge and fun of driving the Beast.

On the exhaust note that is imy biggest issue, its really different, and for some folks its a deal breaker. If you cant't find a youtube video that like the exhaust note on a 2008-10 Viper, then don't buy one, its not for you, the exhaust note is very different, unique to the Viper, and doesn't sound anything like a V8 engine, unless you gut the cats and go with straight pipes (then it really sounds bad azz).

The brand new 2013 Vipers with their sticker price of $130,000+ are not worth that type of money and I suggest that a nice low mile, mint 2010/11 ZR1, would be the winning ticket for you.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 AM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

For years I have been reading threads about how much better looking the VIPER is than a Vette and how much more of an exotic, chic magnet it is. I have never responded until now and while it seems that I am definitely in the minority, I just DON'T GET IT. VIPER better looking than Z model Vettes? Are you kidding me? IMO That is CRAZY.

VIPERS IMO are bada$$. I like that they get hot, are uncomfortable, have no nannies and are like driving a true race car. In fact, are like a true race car. (I VERY RARELY drive my H/C/I/E Z06 with the a.c. or radio on.) But better looking? Pleeeeaase.

Anyway, just my .02. MJ I respect that you didn't reward GM with your money. (The whole drivetrain problem is ridiculous.) In the end it is all American muscle and well, that is just part of my culture.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:37 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

You just have to be smart with the 08-10 Vper and understand its power potential with no nanny controls, and you won't wreck it. ITS a beast, you have to respect the power, but its not bad if your smart about it. I have to admit the power they make and knowing if you get it stupid over your head you can lose the car makes you a better driver and is part of the challenge and fun of driving the Beast.

On the exhaust note that is imy biggest issue, its really different, and for some folks its a deal breaker. If you cant't find a youtube video that like the exhaust note on a 2008-10 Viper, then don't buy one, its not for you, the exhaust note is very different, unique to the Viper, and doesn't sound anything like a V8 engine, unless you gut the cats and go with straight pipes (then it really sounds bad azz).

The brand new 2013 Vipers with their sticker price of $130,000+ are not worth that type of money and I suggest that a nice low mile, mint 2010/11 ZR1, would be the winning ticket for you.
Yeah I've never really been the type to push my cars very hard, just the occasional hard acceleration from a stop light here and there. My only worry would be something like a missed shift, like shifting into 2nd instead of 4th coming out of 3rd. I think I've only missed maybe two shifts in the 16,000 miles I've put on my Z but it's always a possibility I know.

I was hoping to maybe find a slightly used 2013 SRT about a year from now so the price comes down a bit. The SRT GTS Vipers are too expensive for me, I do like their stripe package better though. After looking at that 2013 yesterday I think I honestly like the looks and styling of the 08-10 Vipers better when it comes to the exterior, different story with the interior. To me the 08-10 Vipers interiors look dated but I completely disagree with the same being said for the exterior, I love how exotic and aggressive they look.

The exhaust not is a huge thing for me but not necessarily a deal breaker I guess, I'm sure I sacrifice a nice sounding car for a sweet looking rare car. But then again the only reason I did a cam, headers w/no cats and exhaust on my Z was for the sound, not the added power.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 2008corvette
Yeah I've never really been the type to push my cars very hard, just the occasional hard acceleration from a stop light here and there. My only worry would be something like a missed shift, like shifting into 2nd instead of 4th coming out of 3rd. I think I've only missed maybe two shifts in the 16,000 miles I've put on my Z but it's always a possibility I know.

I was hoping to maybe find a slightly used 2013 SRT about a year from now so the price comes down a bit. The SRT GTS Vipers are too expensive for me, I do like their stripe package better though. After looking at that 2013 yesterday I think I honestly like the looks and styling of the 08-10 Vipers better when it comes to the exterior, different story with the interior. To me the 08-10 Vipers interiors look dated but I completely disagree with the same being said for the exterior, I love how exotic and aggressive they look.

The exhaust not is a huge thing for me but not necessarily a deal breaker I guess, I'm sure I sacrifice a nice sounding car for a sweet looking rare car. But then again the only reason I did a cam, headers w/no cats and exhaust on my Z was for the sound, not the added power.
Sounds like you have a BIG decision to make my friend sleep on it a little bit, as the Viper Coupe 2008-2010, is truely an amazing machine. I have mine out all day today and going out for a nice drive with the wife in a 1/2 hour for dinner. THe cockpit of my Viper is way more confining than my old 2006 Z06 and she gets clautorphibic, but ironically she feels more comfortable in my Viper than she did the Z06, says she feels more connected to the car, go figure, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this b/c the **** pit is tight, the Viper has blind spots the vette did not. Go figure, lol, an added perk for me.

I see your a silver and black guy from you C6 Z and so am I big time.
If you go with the 08-10 Viper you may want to go with the same one I went with, its a special edition model, the 2009 Viper VOI Coupe. Its all black and silver from the factory and only 100 were made (its a numbered car). They come up often on Ebay and can be had for $70K or a few grand less all day long.

Here are some great pictures of mine and they just had one on ebay for $70K with only 4800 miles on it, which might still be available. If not, just keep your eyes open as they come up regularly on Ebay.

Here you go you will like this my friend, and maybe the way for you to go:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24389745

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-11-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Sounds like you have a BIG decision to make my friend sleep on it a little bit, as the Viper Coupe 2008-2010, is truely an amazing machine. I have mine out all day today and going out for a nice drive with the wife in a 1/2 hour for dinner.

If you go with the 08-10 Viper you may want to go with the same one I went with, its a special edition model, the 2009 Viper VOI Coupe. Its all black and silver from the factory and only 100 were made (its a numbered car). They come up often on Ebay and can be had for $70K or a few grand less all day long.

Here are some great pictures of mine and they just had one on ebay for $70K with only 4800 miles on it, which might still be available. If not, just keep your eyes open as they come up regularly on Ebay.

Can you post some pics of your other Mopar cars? They sound awesome!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Boscosz28
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't had a 2008-2010, but I did have an 2006 coupe. For me, the Viper got old after the first week of ownership, for reasons I KNEW about, but thought I could live with. Such as: cabin heat, ingress/egress, exhaust note, rough ride, etc. Everybody has their own opinions on if these are even issues, but to me they were. Best advise I can give you: go drive one for ~30 minutes and see for yourself weather you like it or not! Best of luck!

Ps. It was replaced by another C6z..
Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Had some fun in a friends recently.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by John_P
I have driven a few Vipers and must add that I think the Z06 is a much better "all around car." I know the Z06 is MUCH MORE comfortable than any Viper I drove, although I haven't driven any of the 2014 Vipers.

I agree with much of what CF Member Brian has said. The Vipers are very hot inside and the door sills with the sidepipes are almost too hot too touch on very warm days. In my opinion, the Vipers are also hard to get in and out of. And as the other members pointed out, the lack of traction control on any of the models except the brand new ones can get you into trouble. Personally, I hate the exhaust sound of a Viper too. Not even close to a Z06.

But I also understand you are looking for a change so it is ultimately your decision Sir. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I gotta go with this one, I considered the Viper, but the Z is just a much better all around car. I have mine cammed, bolt-ons and such, it's just an unreal experience to drive.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

Sounds like you have a BIG decision to make my friend sleep on it a little bit, as the Viper Coupe 2008-2010, is truely an amazing machine. I have mine out all day today and going out for a nice drive with the wife in a 1/2 hour for dinner. THe cockpit of my Viper is way more confining than my old 2006 Z06 and she gets clautorphibic, but ironically she feels more comfortable in my Viper than she did the Z06, says she feels more connected to the car, go figure, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this b/c the **** pit is tight, the Viper has blind spots the vette did not. Go figure, lol, an added perk for me.

Oh you have one of the VOI Coupes, very nice. Those are beautiful cars, I've had my eye on them the last couple years with my off and on Viper searches. I haven't seen any on Ebay in the last couple weeks but there is one on another site listed at $72k right now. Can't go wrong with silver and black. Since winter is coming here in MN I'm not going to make any moves until summer comes.

I'm really drawn towards the 2013 SRT and am thinking I might go that route if I can pick one up for $90K next summer. The prices are already starting to drop on them, there's a slightly used one on Ebay with a $118k MSRP that has a buy it now price of $100k. It sounds like Dodge really messed up with the new Viper pricing, I guess only 495 sold so far and there are over 800 in inventory.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?