Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Some pics would be most appreciated. I am bound and determined to get rid of the plastic lines, and these ugly hoses I am using now. I'm looking at the line to the intake right now. I have bulkhead fittings and that might work.
I'm headed up to the shop Friday so I'll try and remember to take some good pictures of the rerouted hoses.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Drove the car for the first time today. The mid range power is insane and the throttle response and the rev matching with the new mantic9000 is amazing! Looking forward to some good videos and pictures this weekend.

As far as the clutch goes, it can/does chatter under slow and easy engagement. Give it some gas and let her rip and it's SUPER smooth. I'm learning how to drive it better, but I am really liking the way it revs and shifts!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

After a few days of driving on the street tune, the idle started going a little crazy and the CEL for idle air control came on. Seems like I've developed a vacuum leak. Checked the manifold shell bolts and almost all seemed loose, despite using blue loctite and torquing. I will be tightening these up and doing a smoke test to see if there are any other culprits before looking into other issues.

Clutch has a chatter to it on take off from a stop, but it has gotten better even in the first 50-100 miles. I expect that learning to drive the new clutch better and break-in will help dramatically with this. Shifting and rev matching is smoother than ever!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Got some pictures of the new wheel/tire look now that I have the 5mm spacers on all 4 corners. Was able to get enough bite from some extended thread chrome replacement lug nuts. It's amazing what a difference 5mm makes, especially on the back and with the C7 extended side skirts!

Also picked up a matching C7 front splitter...

Old 04-19-2015, 10:01 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Awaiting some dyno tuning!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Hischar
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic build man!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

nice!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 AM
Z06_R1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got that exact same intake in the black on order which I will have ported as well. Looks so good once installed! Nice build!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Thanks, it really looks better in black than it did in the gray.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Z06_R1
Advanced

How are you liking that RX catch can? I was looking at the Elite CatchCan, but have read some mixed reviews on it.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:50 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06_R1
How are you liking that RX catch can? I was looking at the Elite Catch Can, but have read some mixed reviews on it.
I like it enough. I found some links online with the inside workings of the RX can and like the baffle design. Looking harder at it now, I think I really like the MightyMouse cans better, if for nothing other than the look and equivalent functionality (Might be better, still unsure). It was very competitively priced and works well, which is why I bought it. Elite Engineering cans seem to be popular but I chose not to go with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 PM
GoHokiesGo
Advanced

Nice Build thread, Josh! The Z is looking great

~Jason (from CCVT/ME)
Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo
Nice Build thread, Josh! The Z is looking great

~Jason (from CCVT/ME)
Thanks buddy! Hope you're doing well!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:51 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Well I got my replacement clutch, so we ripped her back apart this weekend. The swap went well and there's no longer any noise with the pedal depressed like I was having. It is suspected that it's is a defective GM slave as the clutch did not seem to have any obvious issues. Either way, it's all better and I LOVE this Mantic9000!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:05 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Well, its been a WHILE since I've posted. The car is back on the radar and long overdue for some changes. Since last time, the noise has come back in the clutch, but it drives and shifts fine. If I use a clutch pedal stop to adjust the throw of the actual clutch pedal, the sound goes entirely away, but at the expense of shifting quality. Sounds like the Mantic just isn't cooperating with my car, but as long as it works I'm leaving it for now.

As for the next round of mods, I've considered a full engine build with a blower, but I'm deciding to do it in parts. I have a small leak that has sprung up on the passenger side head, so when I go in to fix that gasket I'm going to evaluate the engine and do a leak down and pressure test to make sure all is still in good working order. If all goes well, I'm planning, likely, on the A&A T-trim blower with some changes in the current setup. My current MAST heads have to go as I milled them some for compression, now I need close to stock compression. I'll either sell them or trade them out with RPM or MAST if either is amicable to doing a trade plus cash to go back to their 305 70cc off-the-shelf configuration. I'm also strongly considering a cam change, not that I don't absolutely love my RPM B3 cam, but I'm going to likely go with something more aimed at forced induction and since I'm going in to do an ATI balancer and pin the crank pulley, I may as well consider it. Mod list looks like:

A&A Blower Kit w/ Dewitt's Radiator and T-trim Upgrade
A&A Secondary Fuel System (Need to spec injectors)
Alky Control Meth (Dual Nozzle) System
Blower Cam
MAST 305 Black Label Heads (70cc Chambers)
ARP Head Studs (Replacing ARP Head Bolts, maybe)
ATI Balancer

When all is said and done, if I can keep the price where I need it, I am also looking into some wheels. Looking forward to getting back in the game and playing with the car again before spring!

Last edited by EnginerdVT; 02-12-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

did you ever get dyno numbers?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by double06
Before the intake manifold and TB, I was on a dynapak so the numbers where not as relevant. Once the intake and TB went on, I went 585/530 on a dynojet roller. After the car became a little sluggish to me, my original tuner took it back to a local dynojet and it reran 585/530 and after tweaks ran 602rwhp. I forget the torque number but will post when I grab my chart later this morning. Currently sits at the same 602 setup, which it ran with a leak in the passenger side head gasket.

Get notified of new replies

To Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by double06
Just double checked, latest numbers with the leaky head were 602/533 on the dynojet.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Update: Got some parts ordered and will be continuing to collect items until the A&A blower kit is ready. Of the original list, here is what's in the plan now:

A&A Blower Kit w/ A&A Radiator and T-trim Upgrade
A&A Secondary Fuel System w/ 85lb Injectors
Alky Control Meth (Single Nozzle) System
ATI Balancer

I was able to get a customer project started on gauges that I think will be awesome when it's done. I'll post more information as that develops, but it looks like I'll probably do Boost and AFR or a combo Boost/AFR with a fuel pressure gauge.

Now, looking at wheels... Didn't want to get something too common, but thinking a 19" rear wheel is plenty to keep a decent tire on it, an 18" being even better. Since my rear tires are almost toast, it's a good time to look at least since I'm currently running my stock chrome split spoke z06 wheels and nittos (NT05/NT05R).
Old 03-30-2017, 05:04 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

>Immediately blows engine

Quick Reply: [Z06] Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)