Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Old 03-03-2019, 10:56 PM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

Forgot to post about my spacers for the subframe. I was having issues with the blower housing touching the underside of the hood liners and having to really push to get the hood shut. I'm on stock height Hinson mounts (NOT the 3/8" lowered ones) and these Lingenfelter spacers did the trick. They are right on their site and slotted so you don't have the completely remove anything and list at approximately 0.25". Great little adder that made a huge different. The lowered Hinson mounts would have cause issues between the header and the subframe and possibly the balancer and the subframe (looked really close). These kept those distances consistent and gave me just enough room.
Attached Images    

Last edited by EnginerdVT; 03-03-2019 at 10:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EnginerdVT For This Useful Post:
Ghost Knight (03-09-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT View Post
There has been talk and I highly considered doing a few things to remedy this but, if I remember (possibly on the fore innovations site, there is an article that talks about not having any issues with this. I considered running a -8 return to a twin -6 splitter (flex sensor in one of the parallel paths) and then rejoining them to -8 for the rest of the return. I don't think this is going to be a concern. Many others will likely support that but if it is, easy fix to get into the fender and do something with it.
That's cool man. I just wanted to mention it. I've heard it causes a slight flow restriction in high HP applications. I was going to recommend T-ing off you main line and keeping 1 side -8 all the way, and you T to the sensor could be -6. That way you're not necking down your main feed line to anything less than -8. Either way, cool build. Looking forward to results.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Street car I guess? Spacers mess up the suspension geometry but if you arent tracking it you wont notice. Nice build!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:54 AM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Street car I guess? Spacers mess up the suspension geometry but if you arent tracking it you wont notice. Nice build!
Definitely not planning on turning any corners at speed. No room for front sway bar and the right tires want to go straight only. I am looking to do some straight line tracking in the form of 1/2 mile and runway events.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Going to be a fun ride! Thanks for posting all the updates.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 PM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

Well... a few steps forward and major step back today...

Got the front end buttoned up from a piping perspective and all I have left is to get my post intercooler pipe made up to replace the kit one that came and isn't going to work.

We got setup to pressure test fuel and go ZIPPPPY... after some messing around we decided it was best to just drop the trans and go the crossover back off and dropped the tanks really easily (Thanks God for lifts!). Crossover was good. Upon opening up the driver's tank, ALL THREE of the pumps were spraying craziness. Most likely all three are cracked from the person I purchased them from all put together in the tank. I did this to myself, I deserve no pity . Fore was on top of it to help me get some replacement hardware and o-rings to take things apart and assess the damage for possibly replacing all three pumps. Will know more in a few days.
Attached Images  

Last edited by EnginerdVT; 03-06-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 PM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

So got the bottom of the fuel pressure issue. One of the 3 Walbro 267's was cracked completely through at the neck. Anytime any of the pumps ran, it fed back through the common manifold in the Fore Fuel Module assembly and spewed out of the one broken pump. After removing everything for a thorough inspection, I decided to swap to 274's while they were out since it looks like with the starting fuel pressure we want to start with, we'll be borderline on popping the relief valves on the low pressure version of the Walrbo 450 (267) and the 274 will give us some pressure head-room if we want it. I'll have 2 tested but basically new pumps for sale if anyone needs a 267 or two! The broken one might get epoxied back together to become a siphon pump for a garage fueling setup if I get bored...
Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Innovate
CF Senior Member

I may grab one of those 4-fiddy's though lol. Love the thread and cannot wait to her all together.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Ghost Knight
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT View Post
The broken one might get epoxied back together to become a siphon pump for a garage fueling setup if I get bored...
That's a good idea! I've trashed a couple but could use an electric siphon for my e85 tanks.

Regarding pumps, did you consider the new 525?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 PM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ghost Knight
That's a good idea! I've trashed a couple but could use an electric siphon for my e85 tanks.

Regarding pumps, did you consider the new 525?
Funny you mention that. I had forgotten it even existed when I ordered the replacement 274's. For the power level I'm probably going to be at, I don't know that I need them and they do draw about 10-20% more amperage depending on the pressure from the data I saw. Not sure that's worth it as that just creates more heat as well. I'd definitely use a 274 for the primary running pump but was thinking about canceling and ordering 285's for the staged pumps. Another concern is that when the two secondary pumps come on, there is usually a spike in pressure as the regulator... well, regulates. The added flow of the 285's will probably make that worse so if I don't need them it's not advisable to get them I think. Willing to hear advise to talk me into it though

Last edited by EnginerdVT; 03-09-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

Got the new fuel pumps in and setup. Was able to confirm the float was greet working and gassed up the drivers tank and verified tot he ability to build up to 60psi fuel pressure. At that point we sprung a leak inside the crossover and found that one of the plastic fittings was broken and pushing out of the connection and it was spraying inside the crossover. Ordered a new crossover to fix that and keep turning up the pressure before reinstalling the tanks. Since I swapped to a 274 primary and two 285 staged pumps, I also swapped the fuses in the FC3 to 30amps for the two 285 pumps per Fore Innovations recommendation.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 PM
EnginerdVT
CF Senior Member

Finally we have no leaks. Were able to build 80 psi on an off the shelf battery before installing the tanks and crossover, reconnecting and retesting again. All good so the trans and cradle are back in, along with rear suspension and harness. Time to get ready to tackle the Fore wiring with the fuse block and the new battery terminal setup, followed by first start soon and gauges. We also had to modify the ECS torque tamer to get it installed since the lip on the Z06 tunnel was not accounted for. Installed it on top of the tunnel plate and added spacers to help with the new holes and trimmed the corners to fit.
Attached Images           

Last edited by EnginerdVT; 03-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: