Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Going from Pfadt to LG..the real deal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Going from Pfadt to LG..the real deal.

So back in the day, I admit...I was a Pfadt fan boy. Then I went through 2 sets of their SA Featherlight coilovers and sways. The first set of Heavy Rate sways I had felt terrible...could never get the car balanced the way I liked, and had the arms come off on me several times. The second go around was the lite rate, and with those...I had to set the front all the way soft, and rear all the way stiff. Didn't have arm problems with those...thanks goodness. Yet, the car was ok...but not great still, especially on the track. I actually had a rebuilt set of Pfadt SA coils with shorter springs to give more adjustment up front and I wanted to make sure that everything was rebuilt correctly, because about this time, the leaks among various sets were surfacing. So, after installing 3 sets of my friend's Z due to leaks, and me being on my 2nd set due to the first set with problems...I knew it was time to move on to bigger and better things.

I do about 5-6 HPDEs a year, but the car definitely sees more street than anything. I wanted the best of both worlds and this is where I am today.

I decided to go with a custom set of LG G2 coilovers and the G1 sways bars with quiet endlinks. Springs are 750 lb. front/650 lb. rear (compared to the 460 lb. front/600 lb. rear on the Pfadts). Not sure what they were thinking there, but I could never get used to that soft front when diving into a turn at 140mph.

And here is the car now.....I must say, it is firm as hell and handles like a damn race car should. I don't know how Anthony at LG did it, but he hit everything right and everything is perfect for my needs of street/track duty.

In conclusion, the final Pfadt gear I had really had no issues. Coils were functioning good, adjustments were easy, the sways weren't really sways, but whatever... I will say that their stuff is great for the street and nothing more; however, if you are looking for something more serious...LG all the way.

Thanks for listening!

/Lee
The following 3 users liked this post by LFZ:
63Corvette (11-17-2016), IMXCITD (12-28-2015), surfinva27 (09-16-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember seeing a German guy on YouTube running around the ring with a c6z comparing the stock suspension with to pfadt coilovers. The stock suspension was like 10 secs faster haha. I found out all I needed to know about pfaft then.....for the most part.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My experience was exactly the same. I fought for years with the Pfadt parts. Swapped spring rates, light rate bars, heavy rate bars, spring rates again and I even went through 2 sets of their poly bushings because they kept pushing out of the control arms.

I swapped everything to LG and the difference was night and day. Their off the shelf parts transformed the car into a monster and I could never get remotely close with the Pfadt parts.

There literally is no comparison between LG and Pfadt.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Glad to see people coming to the light side. Amazing what was hidden for years. Seen so much of their junk fail. They were good at marketing, not making parts.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Sweet!

I was wondering if you had a chance to get everything on the car yet or not. I know I have been building a TON of coil overs these past few months.

Thank you again for the order, and please let me know if there is anything you need or have any questions on.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
I remember seeing a German guy on YouTube running around the ring with a c6z comparing the stock suspension with to pfadt coilovers. The stock suspension was like 10 secs faster haha. I found out all I needed to know about pfaft then.....for the most part.
LOL...I remember that vid. I'm pretty sure that guy was a forum member too, and if I remembered correctly...he had to send those Pfadts to Ohlins to be completely rebuilt and said they dynoed all over the place.

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
My experience was exactly the same. I fought for years with the Pfadt parts. Swapped spring rates, light rate bars, heavy rate bars, spring rates again and I even went through 2 sets of their poly bushings because they kept pushing out of the control arms.

I swapped everything to LG and the difference was night and day. Their off the shelf parts transformed the car into a monster and I could never get remotely close with the Pfadt parts.

There literally is no comparison between LG and Pfadt.
I remember your thread about it and remember feeling the exact same way when I get in my car.....been stuck in my head ever since I suppose. But you're feedback was huge factor in me making the switch.

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
I'm running the LG GT-2 550 lb front and rear; Six turns out on the front seven on the rear, for the street.

Seems to work well, but haven't tracked her this year.

Most certainly makes me wonder how I ever survived with the stock suspension.
I installed those exact coils on my friends 09 Z with the G1 bars..I remember taking it out for its first test drive and knew instantly that this set up was remarkably better than my car with Pfadts right out the box...loco!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Glad to see people coming to the light side. Amazing what was hidden for years. Seen so much of their junk fail. They were good at marketing, not making parts.
Hey...I remember that PM you sent me a few years back giving me the insight....I must admit..Like RichieRich's post..it definitely persuaded me to make the change. LG makes great stuff that is proven through their races.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:52 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Sweet!

I was wondering if you had a chance to get everything on the car yet or not. I know I have been building a TON of coil overs these past few months.

Thank you again for the order, and please let me know if there is anything you need or have any questions on.
Oh I got them installed the day they came in...went straight home from work that night, and had everything on by midnite...Took it for a test drive was like..WOW. Great stuff...Thanks for the support and excellent products you guys make.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Good to know
Old 07-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

FOTM and bandwagoning are strong on this site (and others like it).
Old 07-30-2015, 03:19 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tech
Are you running Pfadt coils and sways?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 PM
duhveed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

G2's are my next purchase too
Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

?? Hopefully you're not talking about those of us that have ran both products and have some real world feedback to offer up. I will admit that I was a little nervous about changing everything after working for 2 full seasons trying to get the setup right with the Pfadt stuff, but am glad that I did and I would never go back.

Between breaking sway bar links, breaking coil overs, needing to replace multiple poly bushings and having to try multiple different setups with the Pfadt stuff, I don't know what to do with myself now that I don't ever have to touch anything and still turn faster laps
Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by duhveed
G2's are my next purchase too
Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
?? Hopefully you're not talking about those of us that have ran both products and have some real world feedback to offer up. I will admit that I was a little nervous about changing everything after working for 2 full seasons trying to get the setup right with the Pfadt stuff, but am glad that I did and I would never go back.

Between breaking sway bar links, breaking coil overs, needing to replace multiple poly bushings and having to try multiple different setups with the Pfadt stuff, I don't know what to do with myself now that I don't ever have to touch anything and still turn faster laps
This is a hypothetical situation.. so I'll use something other than car parts to better explain my comment.

Billy reads on the internet that Charmin is the best toilet paper. Having never used toilet paper in the past, Billy finds Amazon reviews to be favorable and compares the price with other toilet paper. Billy saves up his cash and buys the Charmin. After eating a 5 gallon bucket of chilli, Billy uses the Charmin with great success. Then he goes back to Amazon, leaves a favorable review.. "CHARMIN IS GODS GIFT TO BUTTS".

The cycle continues for other people.

There are far more people like Billy on this planet then there are people like you (and the OP) who have tried different toilet paper. Perhaps you realized that the Charmin rolls were smaller than Quilted Northern. However, your review may get lost in the comment section because of all of the Billys of the world.

Billy's review is valid. It really helped him. But Billy isn't really qualified to compare toilet paper brands. His review should have been.. "TOILET PAPER IS BETTER THAN PINE CONES!!".

Who is qualified to review what is really subjective. My comment was merely a reminder that Koolaid comes in all kinds of flavors. I've had my share.

Disclaimer: Nothing I've said in this thread is in reference to my opinion of LGs products. I was mostly commenting on the OP's retraction of his support for Pfadt.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LFZ
Are you running Pfadt coils and sways?
Nope. My last Corvette and my current one have OEM suspensions. My comment had nothing to do with any one particular product or vendor.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

In general people buy into marketing hype and "this is the best ever" when they haven't ran anything else. That being said, plenty of people have had issues with pfadt, and switched to LG.

Just like asking which blower is the best, and getting whatever brand someone bought. I've had several on my car, and installed/tuned several. Same with clutches, they buy one and it is the best ever, even if they never tried a different clutch. I get what your saying, but that is just life and forums.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

This is a hypothetical situation.. so I'll use something other than car parts to better explain my comment.

Billy reads on the internet that Charmin is the best toilet paper. Having never used toilet paper in the past, Billy finds Amazon reviews to be favorable and compares the price with other toilet paper. Billy saves up his cash and buys the Charmin. After eating a 5 gallon bucket of chilli, Billy uses the Charmin with great success. Then he goes back to Amazon, leaves a favorable review.. "CHARMIN IS GODS GIFT TO BUTTS".

There are far more people like Billy on this planet then there are people like you (and the OP) who have tried different toilet paper. Perhaps you realized that the Charmin rolls were smaller than Quilted Northern. However, your review may get lost in the comment section because of all of the Billys of the world.

Billy's review is valid. It really helped him. But Billy isn't really qualified to compare toilet paper brands. His review should have been.. "TOILET PAPER IS BETTER THAN PINE CONES!!".

Who is qualified to review what is really subjective. My comment was merely a reminder that Koolaid comes in all kinds of flavors. I've had my share.

Disclaimer: Nothing I've said in this thread is in reference to my opinion of LGs products. I was mostly commenting on the OP's retraction of his support for Pfadt.
Wow, that was very enlightening. Thanks for sharing.

Can anybody tell me where the Smiley symbol for sarcasm is located? I couldn't find it.

Get notified of new replies

To Going from Pfadt to LG..the real deal.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Got the LGs a couple years ago. Problem was the rears would bottom out on a bad bump on the street. The springs are only 6" long, 4" when installed. Coil bind was 2 1/2" so that gave only an 1 1/2" of travel. I replaced them with Eibach 8" springs. This spring gives at least another inch and a half of spring compression before coil bind. That's another 900 lbs needed before bottoming out. Cured the that problem. And as you can see in the previous pix there's plenty thread space for the longer spring. Still have an inch even after lowering the rear 3/4inch. The next PITA was the rear shock adjust. Had trouble feeling the clicks and where it was set. I replaced the flexible **** shaft with a 1/8" steel rod. Drilled a hole for the rod. Don't drill the carpet. Just push the rod thru the carpet pile. The **** is now right at floor level in the cargo area.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
Got the LGs a couple years ago. Problem was the rears would bottom out on a bad bump on the street. The springs are only 6" long, 4" when installed. Coil bind was 2 1/2" so that gave only an 1 1/2" of travel. I replaced them with Eibach 8" springs. This spring gives at least another inch and a half of spring compression before coil bind. That's another 900 lbs needed before bottoming out. Cured the that problem. And as you can see in the previous pix there's plenty thread space for the longer spring. Still have an inch even after lowering the rear 3/4inch. The next PITA was the rear shock adjust. Had trouble feeling the clicks and where it was set. I replaced the flexible **** shaft with a 1/8" steel rod. Drilled a hole for the rod. Don't drill the carpet. Just push the rod thru the carpet pile. The **** is now right at floor level in the cargo area.
That is with the GT2 coils....As you can see with the G2s that Anthony at LG built...He supplied me with a longer rear spring, because I told him I ride low...

Here is how the car currently sits this morning...official take your Z to work Fridays.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:56 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the clarification... And a good laugh first thing in the morning.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Going from Pfadt to LG..the real deal.