Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How much is my stock LS7 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:17 PM
t1blackout
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much is my stock LS7 worth?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a new racing motor to put into my 06 z06. I have a full stock longblock LS7 (except it has rebuilt heads) with 140,000 miles on it. The motor is running strong at 630hp supercharged but there is a slight chirp that has developed in the engine bay somewhere. We thought it was a belt or transmission related chirp but we can't find the source of it. This is not a clunking or ticking noise like I am used to hearing with lifter problems but some people on the forum think that is what it is. I drove the car to the speed shop with no problems and I have a video and audio clip of the engine running if anyone wants to see/hear it.

How much do you think my complete LS7 longblock is worth with intake, fuel rails, etc...? Any idea what it costs to ship? What is the standard "take out an engine and put in another one" rate that you would expect to pay at a local speedshop? Is TexasSpeed the best company to buy a new longblock from? I'm shooting for about 800-900hp at the wheels depending on the setup.

Thank you for any advice in advance!
The following users liked this post:
z06clif (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:10 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

A motor with an indiagnosed noise and with 140k miles? 4-5k is a guess here. I have seen motors with way less miles in great shape go for 6-7k. There are quite a few motors on ebay right now you can peruse to see what yours might be worth.

Bare short blocks as cores are worth 1500-2000. Heads, again, are worth about 1500-2000 or so, might squeek a bit more out of them since you say they are fixed. If there is nothing wrong with the crank its worth a bit there too, maybe 500. Rods, if they are in good shape are worth something. I would never buy used pistons personally.

As far as where to buy a new built motor from, I think LME would be my go to place. ERL also is worth a look, but I dont know if they build long blocks or just short blocks.

Last edited by rjacobs; 05-04-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:12 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by t1blackout
Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a new racing motor to put into my 06 z06. I have a full stock longblock LS7 (except it has rebuilt heads) with 140,000 miles on it. The motor is running strong at 630hp supercharged but there is a slight chirp that has developed in the engine bay somewhere. We thought it was a belt or transmission related chirp but we can't find the source of it. This is not a clunking or ticking noise like I am used to hearing with lifter problems but some people on the forum think that is what it is. I drove the car to the speed shop with no problems and I have a video and audio clip of the engine running if anyone wants to see/hear it.

How much do you think my complete LS7 longblock is worth with intake, fuel rails, etc...? Any idea what it costs to ship? What is the standard "take out an engine and put in another one" rate that you would expect to pay at a local speedshop? Is TexasSpeed the best company to buy a new longblock from? I'm shooting for about 800-900hp at the wheels depending on the setup.

Thank you for any advice in advance!
Call Late Model Engines. I get all my stuff done there. They built the motor on the Hennessey Venom car that set the latest speed record.
I had an LS7 longblock built there also. It currently lives in a 914 porsche if you can believe that.
As far as the value on your motor I'd think with the many miles you have you're looking at the value of the block, connecting rods, core value for the heads and then all the accessories. I'd guess $3500.00 $4000.00 or so. Oh funny, the guy with the post just above mine was not there when I started writing this and he said LME also.

Last edited by meanjoe; 05-04-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Depending on the cyclical nature and characteristics of the chirping sound, and considering the miles, that could be a cam lobe / lifter wheel failing.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

While I'm sure it has some value, I wouldn't be interested in a 140K motor than has been boosted. I guess it could be rebuilt and be good as new, but good luck selling. Shipping is a whole new problem. I'd say local pick up only.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 AM
t1blackout
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think about the LME LSX longblock? I'm wondering if the extra 100lbs is a good sacrifice for all of the extra power... The prices are similar at the end of the day.

What do you guys recommend for about 1000 wheel hp? I have the ECS supercharger kit already rated at 13lbs if you take out the air restricting plate.

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
While I'm sure it has some value, I wouldn't be interested in a 140K motor than has been boosted. I guess it could be rebuilt and be good as new, but good luck selling. Shipping is a whole new problem. I'd say local pick up only.

Get notified of new replies

To How much is my stock LS7 worth?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How much is my stock LS7 worth?