Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06

It also is annoying that people keep saying that this is normal wear and that over the course of 3 years this should not be abnormal despite the fact that you can go back and look at the thread and see that it was May of 2017 when he first fire this engine up.

I think it's reasonable to expect somebody with Josh's wrenching skills to know not to leave valve springs compressed on an assembled engine for extended period of time, I'm fairly certain he knows the practice of going out and rotating the engine over to relieve pressure on compressd valve springs or even take a pushrods and rocker arms off so the Springs can be in a relaxed position. For those reasons I do not buy this timeline or this excuse
I definitely understand what you are saying and I get it. I just wish the tone of the latest portion of this thread somehow could have been conveyed differently.

I love that Josh tries all different kinds of cool stuff on his car. I apologize but Josh because you are the first to make changes and try new components and don't have to wait like I do for someone else to wrench on your car like it or not you are at times the Guinea Pig. Your changes happen in damn near real time for all of us to see and learn from.

Anyway I wish everyone the best. We are fortunate, all of us here, that our critical problems seem to surround cars making a paltry 450 rwhp to 650 rwhp and must make more at all costs!!
The following users liked this post:
Josh B. (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Honestly, IMHO I think that this thread should end right here with Josh's closing statement. There's so much great info in this thread that is worthwhile,regarding ancillary products used, methods of assembly, checking, measuring, and testing, that it would be a shame to let it be corrupted by the commentary that apparently will be the final chapter of this current build.

Speculation won't solve the issues, and each prospective buyer should invest their time to research the product, the business, and it's practices for pre and post sales support.

I think Josh has gone far enough in trying to explain the mechanical reasons for moving forward, and has been as transparent as one could possibly be given any other circumstances which may also play a part in the decisions he is making.

It's time to be part of Team All-Pro and start writing the new chapter
The following 8 users liked this post by FNBADAZ06:
AzDave47 (06-20-2018), Bad_AX (06-20-2018), jayyyw (06-24-2018), Josh B. (06-20-2018), Millenium Z06 (06-20-2018), Racingswh (06-20-2018), rainman750 (06-21-2018), RGT (06-20-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Josh,

I was thinking about that dyno plot more last night after reading the updates yesterday. I'm certainly not an expert in interpreting dyno data, but two things about that drop around 5100 don't make sense to me...

First, it was apparently repeatable at least across the 2 runs on your graph.

Second, it was sudden, as in something changed very quickly.

Were you data logging the runs by chance? The thing that came to mind for me was knock retard. If you were getting some knock, presumably your tune would immediately pull timing which can lead to that kind of "sudden" drop. I'm sure you guys looked for that though.

But the repeatability (coincidence of knock?) between the 2 runs leads me against that theory...

The reason I'm thinking of other possible explanations is that valve float wouldn't 'hit' like that in my opinion. In the middle of a pull, I would expect it to come on more gradually and get worse as the RPM climb. The hitch in the power at 5100 seems so abrupt, and relatively early in the pull, and that just isn't the symptom that I'd expect from float. Maybe I'm completely out in left field in my expectation though.

I'll be very curious to see what you find when it comes apart. Sorry you're going to have to do that, but as others have said, you seem to enjoy the wrenching aspect of these projects (as do I, witnessed by my own history of changing things up). And the All Pros are definitely a nice piece (one I considered as well once upon a time).

I admittedly have a vested interest in your outcome also as I have a very similar combination to yours. Tony's heads, YT's, similar (almost identical) cam, PAC springs (my invoice says the 1208's, somewhere I have the open/closed pressures as checked by my engine builder before install), and lightweight valves (98g intake, 85g exhaust). My engine is built to spin RPM with a single-plane intake. It looked solid on the engine dyno for breakin and tuning, but time will tell.
The following 2 users liked this post by carbuff:
Bad_AX (06-20-2018), Navy Blue 210 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

I really loved making this thread, it always excited me to receive an email alert with the Mamo Motorsports Build headline.

Thanks to everyone who followed along from the very beginning. Please PM me if you have any questions about any aspect of the build.

Admins. Please lock the thread to preserve the information.
The following 8 users liked this post by Josh B.:
AzDave47 (06-20-2018), Bad_AX (06-20-2018), FNBADAZ06 (06-20-2018), FSTFRC (06-20-2018), MickVette (07-05-2018), Millenium Z06 (06-20-2018), MTPZ06 (06-25-2018), rainman750 (06-21-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock