Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dyno results after mods without cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:45 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Dyno results after mods without cam

I just got my 2006 Z06 back from 21st Century Muscle Cars after adding 21ST CMC Stage 2 CNC ported LS7 cylinder heads with tumble polished intake valves, stainless exhaust valves, bronze valve guides, .020 mill and .685 lift BTR dual spring kit, Dynatech stainless long tube headers, with high flow cats and X-pipe, Elite engineered insulated tunnel plate and a retune. The car made 507rwhp and 465.9rwt on the dyno.

Prior to these performance upgrades, I had them add a Calloway CAI and dyno tune. At that time the car made 482.5rwhp and 442.2rwt on the dyno. So I have picked up another 24.5rwhp and 23.7rwt with the latest mods. I was hoping for 30rwhp, but I thnk anything over 500rwhp with the stock cam is pretty good.

The car only has 2,300 miles on it, but I decided to go ahead and take care of the heads/valve issue to be on the safe side and at the same time up the performance a bit with the higher compression, ported heads. I have stopped short of adding a cam because they talked me out of it based on what I told them about my driving and what I like about the car. They said it would alter the drivability and I would get a smell out of the exhaust, both of which I didn't want. However, Matt said I left 40-50rwhp on the table without going to a mild cam.

From what I have read on many threads, my car should be able to hang with a C6 ZR1 0-60 and the quarter mile, but after that, the ZR1 is going to walk away. Also, I see that on the fast list, bolt-on C6 Z06s are doing high 10's in the quarter mile, so I would think mine might be in that league now given I have also done the heads. I'm not into racing or tracking the car, but wanted to improve the performance and take care of the heads/valve issue. Probably going to stop here, and happy with the results. I did notice on the dyno graph that the HP gains start to be noticeable after about 4,000rmp and the maximum difference with the heads and headers is coming at 5,500 to 6,000rmp. So most of the gains are up top, rather than down low on the rev range. It still makes more power down low though.

21st Century does excellent work and are highly reputable shop in the Dallas area. They are the guys to go to for this stuff - no question about it. Very professional, knowledable and honest. They don't talk you into something if they don't think you will like the changes in the way the car drives.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:53 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

AS long as your having fun that's all that counts! Enjoy the beast!

They said it would alter the drivability

Not the first time someone was talked out of a cam on poor advise.

The right cam choice is all that is needed here. With stock exhaust I have no smell and perfect drivability out a katech 116 clone. Would not hesitate to do it again and this is my daily driver rain or shine.

I have a feeling all their cam advise is geared towards track cams. When it comes to street driven Z06's AHP has excellent advise, and I followed their build design matched to my needs.
The following 2 users liked this post by outhouse:
95rtturbo (12-29-2016), r2boxers (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:05 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Just a guess, but maybe some shops don't want to spend the time or simply don't have the ability to PROPERLY tune after adding a cam? If that was the case here, AT LEAST they were courteous enough to not steer you into a cam they weren't going to spend the time to fully tune, unlike some other shops who just want to show the customer a peak dyno number and then they drive away with a car that has a terrible exhaust smell and compromised drivability.

As far as your gains go, it's certainly minimal relative to all that money spent, but at least you addressed the valve issue, and have a step up on a stock one.

Last edited by kbreese; 12-29-2016 at 12:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:50 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kbreese
As far as your gains go, it's certainly minimal relative to all that money spent,

Not at all, I did the work myself and enjoyed every minute of it and by adding cam to ported heads and MSD intake and cai I now have a 600HP DD that I can sneak through smog simply by ditching the cai every two years.

I think the cam was only 700 ish more since I did it all myself and gave me the largest gains.

With the mods you have the poor engine is begging for a cam
Old 12-29-2016, 01:48 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

My build is very similar, with the addition of an MSD intake.

I anticipate betwwen 510 and 515 RWHP. Unfortunately, my plans to carefully document the before and after results were derailed - the Dynojet shop I've used for the last 15 years, I learned the owner died a few weeks before I started to call to make an appointment to get the final post-mods numbers.

I guess I can check to see if a new owner will continue the business. It's a sad story, he wasn't that old but he did not take care of himself.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-29-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:52 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
My build is very similar, with the addition of an MSD intake.

I anticipate betwwen 510 and 515 RWHP. Unfortunately, my plans to carefully document the before and after results were derailed - the Dynojet shop I've used for the last 15 years, I learned the owner died a few weeks before I started to call to make an appointment to get the final post-mods numbers.

I guess I can check to see if a new owner will continue the business. It's a sad story, he wasn't that old but he did not take care of himself.
We can do a "roll race" down the back straight at Road Atlanta. The old school asphalt dyno
Old 12-29-2016, 06:00 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I did elect to go with a mild cam during my similar build. (Katech 116) Its a very driveable cam but you still lose that tractor grunt that the stock cam has off idle. Otherwise it's a different (angrier) animal at higher rpms. I love the car on the track but sometimes miss the stock cam on the street just cruising.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:22 AM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsC6Z06
I did elect to go with a mild cam during my similar build. (Katech 116) Its a very driveable cam but you still lose that tractor grunt that the stock cam has off idle. Otherwise it's a different (angrier) animal at higher rpms. I love the car on the track but sometimes miss the stock cam on the street just cruising.
How is your cam at idle? Did it retain your stock driveability meaning if you are in 1st gear and let the clutch out will she drive around or buck?, I have the same cam but I also have a tuning issue so I don't even want to drive mine until it is fixed.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I like the gains! I'm looking for a mild performance set-up as well when I have the heads done. I probably will do something similar to yours, but am still weighing a mild cam as well.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

One thing I noticed after the exhaust mods is there seems to be more of an exhaust smell from the car when I pulled it into the garage. I guess that comes with territory when going with high flow cats since they probably don't do as good of a job filtering the pollutants. I should probably get a Nissan Leaf now to offset my emissions.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
Not at all, I did the work myself and enjoyed every minute of it and by adding cam to ported heads and MSD intake and cai I now have a 600HP DD that I can sneak through smog simply by ditching the cai every two years.

I think the cam was only 700 ish more since I did it all myself and gave me the largest gains.

With the mods you have the poor engine is begging for a cam
outhouse, I'm not sure why you thought my post was to you, I was commenting to the OP. He spent a lot of money to only gain 24 hp/tq.

I agree with you, he should have done a cam even if it's a mild one. That's the key ingredient in the formula in terms of gains.

With that said he still has PLENTY of power for a street car, with full stock drivability. But it's a lot of coin to spend for a mild bump in power.

Last edited by kbreese; 12-29-2016 at 12:04 PM.
outhouse (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

outhouse, I'm not sure why you thought my post was to you, I was commenting to the OP. He spent a lot of money to only gain 24 hp/tq.

I agree with you, he should have done a cam even if it's a mild one. That's the key ingredient in the formula in terms of gains.

With that said he still has PLENTY of power for a street car, with full stock drivability. But it's a lot of coin to spend for a mild bump in power.
I would have to agree with you. Not sure I would have done it now as it was not worth the money. I would have done the heads/valves, but probably not the exhaust. The car feels a bit stronger, but most of the power increase is coming in the upper rev range. What I don't like is the exhaust smell from the high flow cats. Matt tells me that if I went with cam, the smell would be exponentially worse, so glad I didn't go that direction. I am going to go retrieve the stock exhaust and hold on to it as I did the stock intake just incase I want to sell the car down the road.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:00 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

outhouse, I'm not sure why you thought my post was to you .

It would be my eyesight and a K and some EE's in your name being close to his and my slow brain LOL

kbreese
keeso6z

I'm in my 50's you cant sneak up on a guy like that
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
It would be my eyesight and a K and some EE's in your name being close to his and my slow brain LOL

kbreese
keeso6z

I'm in my 50's you cant sneak up on a guy like that
Old 12-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
We can do a "roll race" down the back straight at Road Atlanta. The old school asphalt dyno
Yeah, you have a cam.. There is a trend here -- you have more HP, more grip.. The only way I am going to "win" is if I blind fold you, or maybe let some air (all of it?) out of a tire or two, OR I could beat up on you for a few laps at a new-to-you track, at least until you learn which direction it goes..

But to your point, I do plan to dig up the stock roll-on numbers from the mags, find a flat area, see how the post-mod car stacks up. And before anyone suggests "why don't you just go to the drags to get a time?", a: I don't feel comfortable putting this car through that type of abuse, b: I'd be **** at shifting quickly, it would be a wast of time.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by zblackz06
How is your cam at idle? Did it retain your stock driveability meaning if you are in 1st gear and let the clutch out will she drive around or buck?, I have the same cam but I also have a tuning issue so I don't even want to drive mine until it is fixed.
Easing out the clutch in 1st is still doable but the feel of instant torque is not the same. Doesn't really buck, but I rarely try this without adding some throttle. As much as I miss the ultra low rpm torque, the power gains above 3k rpms are worth it!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Dude, this car is dying for a cam! What are you thinking?

My little LS3 has a baby cam and it still offers perfect street manners, power right from idle, and significant gains everywhere.

You can get it all in a cam as long as you don't go overboard. Katech Torquer all day Bro.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno results after mods without cam

Old 12-30-2016, 05:26 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

I hear you, but cams come with negative side effects and Matt has been pretty defiant on this based on what he knows about me. The main thing I don't want is the nasty exhaust or gas smell. I have it somewhat now with the high flow cats because they don't do as good of a job filtering the emissions as the stock cats. But not to bad. Matt said it would be infinitely worse with a cam. Also, I don't want the surging or higher rpm required for cruising in a higher gear. I like the way it drives stock. I'm not going to be racing the car or tracking it, so I felt this was a good place to stop. Not to mention the extra money for a cam. This car is sort of a collector/hobby car for me and will see limited miles put on it.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I won't peer pressure you into a cam...lol. I chose to fix the heads and stay stock cam as well. I will say, that if I ever change my mind...my choice will be a custom "baby" cam from Cam Motion....period.
REDZED2 (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by keeso6z
The main thing I don't want is the nasty exhaust or gas smell..

Well that is where he is misleading you. We told you a long time ago its not a problem.

I had more smell stock then now.

, I don't want the surging or higher rpm required for cruising in a higher gear.

We also told you that is not a factor with a mild cam.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dyno results after mods without cam