Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Welding Nitrous bracket to frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Welding Nitrous bracket to frame?

The Z06 doesn't really offer a good place to bolt the bracket and I think that I am going just going to weld it to the frame. The bracket that I am using is aluminum and about 3" by 5" so it will fit perfectly on the frame. The frame seems like the only place that you can really put the bracket and secure it like it should be.

I would have to hire someone to do this for me because I don't know how to weld and I a worried about welding inside my car. Can this be done without the risk of damaging the interior or exterior of the car.

I also want to be able to remove it when I sell this car. I am thinking that only welding the short sides should work.
Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Why dont you drill and bolt? Much easier to remove at that point
Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 PM
bd4airman11
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Not a real good idea....

I am a welder certified in MIG, TIG, and unlimited structural, 4 state and 3 federal certifications and have been in this for 40 years...The frame on the Z06 has a high degree of magnesium in it....GM glues the thing for repairs.....With that said, I would use rivnuts and bolts....U-Tub it....It is a much safer way to do this and will hold just fine. Drilling 4, 1/4 inch holes in the frame will do little to nothing to it.....
Originally Posted by lamboworld
The Z06 doesn't really offer a good place to bolt the bracket and I think that I am going just going to weld it to the frame. The bracket that I am using is aluminum and about 3" by 5" so it will fit perfectly on the frame. The frame seems like the only place that you can really put the bracket and secure it like it should be.

I would have to hire someone to do this for me because I don't know how to weld and I a worried about welding inside my car. Can this be done without the risk of damaging the interior or exterior of the car.

I also want to be able to remove it when I sell this car. I am thinking that only welding the short sides should work.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 PM
bd4airman11
Instructor

Originally Posted by atljar
Why dont you drill and bolt? Much easier to remove at that point
Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by bd4airman11
I am a welder certified in MIG, TIG, and unlimited structural, 4 state and 3 federal certifications and have been in this for 40 years...The frame on the Z06 has a high degree of magnesium in it....GM glues the thing for repairs.....With that said, I would use rivnuts and bolts....U-Tub it....It is a much safer way to do this and will hold just fine. Drilling 4, 1/4 inch holes in the frame will do little to nothing to it.....
This. Rivnuts to the rescue.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the guidance. I give rivet nuts a try. My only issue is that I have not found a flat spot on the frame but I guess that I can level it out with some washers.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the guidance. I give rivet nuts a try. My only issue is that I have not found a flat spot on the frame but I guess that I can level it out with some washers.
Go to Lowes, get some plastic spacers, you can easily grind them to any angle, making custom spacers to conform to the frame.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:47 PM
bd4airman11
Instructor

Default Great solution to spacing issues....!

That is good for most of us....However, if you wont to get real **** about fit up....Take some art clay (old modeling clay like all of us played with in the 60's) and make an impression of your chosen spot, take this to a cnc mill and have your plate milled to the contour of the clay mold...Walla...perfect fit.......I have done this on aircraft many times and it works great......
Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Go to Lowes, get some plastic spacers, you can easily grind them to any angle, making custom spacers to conform to the frame.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

That is good for most of us....However, if you wont to get real **** about fit up....Take some art clay (old modeling clay like all of us played with in the 60's) and make an impression of your chosen spot, take this to a cnc mill and have your plate milled to the contour of the clay mold...Walla...perfect fit.......I have done this on aircraft many times and it works great......
Yeah, that's next-gen level **** right there..

Actually, I am not sure why I even responded to this thread -

a. I would never put nitros on my car.
b. I would never weld a big-*** (or any, probably) bracket to my frame.

But, just trying to be helpful I suppose. Good luck to the OP.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 PM
bd4airman11
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Yeah, that's next-gen level **** right there..

Actually, I am not sure why I even responded to this thread -

a. I would never put nitros on my car.
b. I would never weld a big-*** (or any, probably) bracket to my frame.

But, just trying to be helpful I suppose. Good luck to the OP.
I hear ya!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

https://www.mcmaster.com/#98075a143/=16fy0x0

This looks like the best solution. I will just add washers until it is level.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 PM
bd4airman11
Instructor

Default $100.00 tool to do those.....

https://www.mcmaster.com/#98075a143/=16fy0x0

This looks like the best solution. I will just add washers until it is level.
That will work, but you will have to buy a $100.00 tool to put them in... Like Dan said......go to Low's, they have a rive nut that comes with a bolt and tool to put them in with all in one for $10.00....Or a bolt store like Fastenal will have it....
Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

That will work, but you will have to buy a $100.00 tool to put them in... Like Dan said......go to Low's, they have a rive nut that comes with a bolt and tool to put them in with all in one for $10.00....Or a bolt store like Fastenal will have it....
I have the tool. I had to buy one that I used on another project a few years ago. I had issues getting the rivets that came in the kit to work. I couldn't get them to line up correctly because the frame isn't flat. I thought that I might just need weld it but this rivet with a stud will fix the problem.

Last edited by lamboworld; 02-20-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 PM
butch353
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make shure you ground the bracket GOOD. to prevent electrical problems.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:08 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by butch353
make shure you ground the bracket GOOD. to prevent electrical problems.
?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Can you post a picture of what you're doing? I've helped install about 30 nitrous bottles in these cars and not once did I have to weld anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Welding Nitrous bracket to frame?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Welding Nitrous bracket to frame?