Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HCI Mamo build

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Those chambers look fantastic. No potential detonation points and smooth transitions everywhere. That goofy nub by the plug hole on the oem castings is gone. I've often wondered if it serves a purpose, but if Tony gets rid of it, it must not be needed. Time to get out the die grinder I think......
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Those chambers look fantastic. No potential detonation points and smooth transitions everywhere. That goofy nub by the plug hole on the oem castings is gone. I've often wondered if it serves a purpose, but if Tony gets rid of it, it must not be needed. Time to get out the die grinder I think......
They are very smooth!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayfabs
unfortunately a lot more than 4K sitting there. In the afr box is Tony's 265 mms heads! Plus not in pic is an ATI balancer
Could you post some pics of the inside of the Mamo ported MSD? I'm guessing as smooth and slick looking as the outside and the heads.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by nuke61
Could you post some pics of the inside of the Mamo ported MSD? I'm guessing as smooth and slick looking as the outside and the heads.
sure I'll try and post some pics tomorrow evening...
The following users liked this post:
nuke61 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:15 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Old 04-14-2017, 09:55 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Car ****
Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Cleaning block today. I started with using acetone and blue shop rags but rags were falling apart and some small pieces were falling into coolant passages so I swapped to micro fiber towels. Then I used 320 wet sand paper with WD40 and a sanding block. I did a cross hatch sanding pattern. Here are some pics let me know if everything looks good. I also cleaned off pistons and check my piston to deck height. It looks like I'm .02-.04 out of the hole.

Last edited by Jayfabs; 04-15-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Bill00Form
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build. Will you have before and after track numbers (1/4 mile)? I have an LS7 in my firebird with cathedral heads (TFS 235) and keep wondering if the LS7 style heads would be significantly better.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill00Form
Awesome build. Will you have before and after track numbers (1/4 mile)? I have an LS7 in my firebird with cathedral heads (TFS 235) and keep wondering if the LS7 style heads would be significantly better.
Thanks. Unfortunately I do not have any track times. I've never even been on a track. Hopefully soon I will start. Talk to Tony Mamo about your car he is one of the best.
Brandon619 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Nice Job JayFab! I regret not going with aftermarket lifters when I did my Mamo Head build.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Nice Job JayFab! I regret not going with aftermarket lifters when I did my Mamo Head build.
Thanks Brandon! I originally was just getting heads from Tony and some how over a month the list just grew. I was going to use stock lifters.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks Brandon! I originally was just getting heads from Tony and some how over a month the list just grew. I was going to use stock lifters.
Yeah my list grew as well to once I picked up my heads from Tony. Your build list is awesome and now that I reflect on my build I wish I would have started with Tony's recommendations verses ending my build with them. Post up your build results once you get that bad boy finished.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Yeah my list grew as well to once I picked up my heads from Tony. Your build list is awesome and now that I reflect on my build I wish I would have started with Tony's recommendations verses ending my build with them. Post up your build results once you get that bad boy finished.
Tony is very convincing. Plus some of the results are amazing. I'll post update dates as I go. I'm still learning on this one and hoping for guidance as this build goes incase I missed something. I rather do it all the way the first time.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Cleaning block today. I started with using acetone and blue shop rags but rags were falling apart and some small pieces were falling into coolant passages so I swapped to micro fiber towels. Then I used 320 wet sand paper with WD40 and a sanding block. I did a cross hatch sanding pattern. Here are some pics let me know if everything looks good. I also cleaned off pistons and check my piston to deck height. It looks like I'm .02-.04 out of the hole.
I cringe whenever I hear about abrasives getting anywhere near an assembled short block...... I know some do what you did without any issues, but I still don’t like it. I’d wipe the cylinders with some oil, then rotate the crank a few times. Clean off the residue, then spray some motor cleaner around the piston tops and repeat. Just a precautionary measure to make sure any grit from the paper is gathered up and removed. Also make sure to run a thread cleaning tap down the head bolt holes, then blow them all out with compressed air. A nozzle with a long attachment that will reach the bottom of the holes works well. Just wrap a rag around the nozzle to catch all crap. It’s very important to get the holes clean and completely dry.
Brandon619 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

I cringe whenever I hear about abrasives getting anywhere near an assembled short block...... I know some do what you did without any issues, but I still don’t like it. I’d wipe the cylinders with some oil, then rotate the crank a few times. Clean off the residue, then spray some motor cleaner around the piston tops and repeat. Just a precautionary measure to make sure any grit from the paper is gathered up and removed. Also make sure to run a thread cleaning tap down the head bolt holes, then blow them all out with compressed air. A nozzle with a long attachment that will reach the bottom of the holes works well. Just wrap a rag around the nozzle to catch all crap. It’s very important to get the holes clean and completely dry.
I sprayed everything down with WD and cleaned real well with new micro fiber towels. Also cycled the pistons will I was checking the piston height. I also used a good shop vac to suck everything up. Even sucked out coolant fluid. Before I put my heads on I will chase head threads and make sure 100% clean/dry. Thanks for the heads up. Was it you who used the comp cams degree wheel in car?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I have used a degree wheel with the engine in the car, but probably not the guy you are thinking of. I don't believe I've ever spoke to that procedure. Do you need help with that?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

I have used a degree wheel with the engine in the car, but probably not the guy you are thinking of. I don't believe I've ever spoke to that procedure. Do you need help with that?
I saw it in someone's thread. I was thinking of buying the kit and just wanted some reviews on it.

Get notified of new replies

To HCI Mamo build

Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Wasn't me....

I think the Comp kit is probably the best one going, but I'd opt for the 16" wheel. I friggin hate those little wheels. I like how the Comp kit comes with a crank adapter. Nothing more frustrating than having a wheel that moves on you after you find TDC / 0. For a mag base, Noga is the best, but you have to bolt a steel plate down to use them, so the dial mounts that have metric threads do come in handy on LS short blocks. The Comp kits come with the threaded dial holders.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...greeing_wheels
Old 04-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Wasn't me....

I think the Comp kit is probably the best one going, but I'd opt for the 16" wheel. I friggin hate those little wheels. I like how the Comp kit comes with a crank adapter. Nothing more frustrating than having a wheel that moves on you after you find TDC / 0. For a mag base, Noga is the best, but you have to bolt a steel plate down to use them, so the dial mounts that have metric threads do come in handy on LS short blocks. The Comp kits come with the threaded dial holders.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...greeing_wheels
ok so if I buy the comp I don't need anything else? The block is in car right now.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Ok so today I removed the balancer. I opted to slide power steering rack over. That was not messy at all. I put gloves over lines and rag on rack. The next hurdle was removing oil pump. I tried to remove with out loosing oil pan bolts but it didn't want to come off and I didn't want to rip gasket so I loosed oil pan bolts maybe an 1/8". It slid right off after that no problem. I then removed my cam. Here are some pics of my cam bearing. Let me know what you guys think.

Quick Reply: [Z06] HCI Mamo build