Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Major Failure!! Overfilled oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow thanks for sharing. Best of luck
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Did they find the broken plastic tabs that are in your engine now? You can't remove the valve cover cap without breaking it and dropping plastic into the engine.

True.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
But..if it was me, and I couldn't change my own oil, I would have my owner's manual out, I would be in the garage at the same time as the techs doing the work, and read out loud the instructions to them, and watch and double-verify they do everything correctly.
^ right there.

Hard to imagine LS7 owners who still don't 'get' dry sump system maintenance dangers, if/when done by an imbecile.
Equally weird, 'oil change' businesses still employing said imbeciles.

Get in front of an imbecile w/ proper instruction & you're golden.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I don't understand this response - the OP said that there was no damage to the engine and it is running fine.
My Bad.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:55 PM
butch353
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like Tech posted if someone removes the valve cover fill plug plastic pieces will get into the pan an possible into the pump (bad) . but having worked on the road for 40+ years an raced for more Sprintcars included Chevy should included a warning on the dash when they sell a DRYSUMP. these are as close to a full out race car as you will find.Glad there wasn't major damage done to the engine Azexotics 1 but have them drain the oil pull the lines an both plugs an bore scope the pan to try an remove the tabs before they get eaten. Good Luck. JD.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I often wonder why the dry sump cars even have that cap on the passenger side valve cover. Why not just use the same style as the drivers side, no provision for a cap at all...
Old 03-07-2017, 06:46 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Sorry to hear about your experience, but sounds like you may have lucked out.

i had a similar experience, took my car in to have new tires out on and had them change the oil while it was in there. I've always changed my own btw, so I got the perverbial "ooohhhh, shoulda changed your own oil from people too...".
They iver filled mine by 2qts, but I didn't know til I got home. The car smoked like a freight train all the way home, and I called and asked how many qts was out in. I went right out, drained the oil, and changed it again myself. The car smoked horribly for about 75 miles, and then finally stopped. I didn't experience hard starts or knocking tho, so I just presumed there was some pooled oil in the intake that would take time to burnoff.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM
injfuel
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The two drain plugs are inches from each other , fairly amateur techs if you ask me
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by injfuel
The two drain plugs are inches from each other , fairly amateur techs if you ask me
How many vehicles actually have 2 drain plugs? It can be easily missed when you don't know its there.

I used to work in a lube shop. I saw lots of things happen first hand. Stuff gets missed because of the managers pushing to get cars in and out as fast as possible.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 AM
injfuel
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
How many vehicles actually have 2 drain plugs? It can be easily missed when you don't know its there.

I used to work in a lube shop. I saw lots of things happen first hand. Stuff gets missed because of the managers pushing to get cars in and out as fast as possible.
Fox body mustangs had 2 , so that's 79-93 model years , and you ALWAYS pay attn to how much oil gets drained out , that's would have been an instant indicator something wasn't right , complacency and lack of experience were the culprits
Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw

The better question is, how did they pick the one they did to remove? Did they flip a coin? They MUST have seen both, so what made them decide to pick the one they did, and not even ask/research why there were 2? "Amateur" is putting it nicely. These guys were idiots.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:10 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

[QUOTE=Tech;1594240707]Did they find the broken plastic tabs that are in your engine now? You can't remove the valve cover cap without breaking it and dropping plastic into the engine.[/QUOTE]

this some kind of joke? Why would such a cap be designed to break when removed? Even if you arent supposed to pour oil in there, whats the purpose? Mine doesnt have any such thing.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Did they find the broken plastic tabs that are in your engine now? You can't remove the valve cover cap without breaking it and dropping plastic into the engine.
this some kind of joke? Why would such a cap be designed to break when removed? Even if you arent supposed to pour oil in there, whats the purpose? Mine doesnt have any such thing.
If you don't have this then you must have an aftermarket valve cover. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the same valve covers are used for non dry sump systems and they didn't want to design a different valve cover for the dry sump system.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

All stock LS7 passenger-side covers have it - if you don't, you aren't stock.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

It's not a cap.. it's a plug. I haven't removed mine but I bet you can't do it by hand.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
All stock LS7 passenger-side covers have it - if you don't, you aren't stock.

this some kind of joke? Why would such a cap be designed to break when removed?
Its not designed to be removed...but yes, its dumb its there in the first place.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:50 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

While it's not a service item, that cap can be easily removed by hand without damage.

Just twist to the left and it pops right out.

Hopefully yours is OK.

And for everyone who runs out to the garage to try this:

When you put it back in, note the different sized retaining tabs in the valve cover and corresponding different sized slots in the cap.

Last edited by wjnjr; 03-09-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Major Failure!! Overfilled oil

Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr
While it's not a service item, that cap can be easily removed by hand without damage.

Ok

Just twist to the left and it pops right out.

Hopefully yours is OK.

And for everyone who runs out to the garage to try this:

When you put it back in, note the different sized retaining tabs in the valve cover and corresponding different sized slots in the cap.
I'll just take your word for it and leave mine alone!! LOL
Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good idea. If the cap has been undisturbed for several years and lots of miles it will be hard to turn at first. That's probably why they get pried out and broken.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I think I'm going to install a sticker on my cap...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Major Failure!! Overfilled oil