Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Major Failure!! Overfilled oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Azexotics1
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major Failure!! Overfilled oil

So I'm currently in a small town in the middle of nowhere, that's relevant because that's why I took my Z06 to mobile 1 for an oil change and not 75 miles away to Chevy dealership. (This is a huge mistake on my part)
So what happened was the guys changed my oil and they come back inside to ask me what the trick to starting my car was, I went out to start it for them but when I hit the start button it just makes a thud and doesn't crank at all. Confused I try it again, same thud. They think my battery is dead so they test it but it's 100% fine but decide to jump it to help start it anyways. After 1 or 2 tries the car turns over but has a very heavy knock shaking the motor and it's billowing white smoke out the exhaust so it gets shut off immediately. After they do some research and phone calls they realize THEY ONLY PULLED THE BOTTOM DRAIN PLUG AND NOT THE ONE FOR THE DRY SUMP RESERVOIR. So they drain the 1.5 quarts out of the pan and put a full 8 quarts back in. They talk to a GM tech that tells them to drain it again and refill. They still don't know about the second plug at this point so they drain and refill again, they then discover the second plug for the dry sump and now drain both plugs and do a proper refill into the dry dump this time.
I believe what they did was potentially do what's called a reverse hydro lock on my engine where the closed system that's supposed to have 6.5 qts in the sump and 1.5 in the pan now had a total of about 14.5 qts in the system which the scavenge pump in the oil pan can't pump out because the car can't crank since there's so much oil and pressure in the oil pan/ crank case. Did they damage my engine???? Did they flat spot the bearings? Hurt the connecting rods or the piston rods?

After they did the proper refill the car still wouldn't start. While I wasn't there the next day a GM tech came over and started the car and blew it all out probably smoking and knocking the whole way. The owner has been very good aboutvit all and is willing to do anything to help or make it right but what do I need to get inspected? Is the engine shot? Very stressed about this all
The following users liked this post:
greatgonzer (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 05:01 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

engine most likely trash. I believe the last thread about this that was the case.

Engine, oil cooler, oil tank, lines, etc... were all replaced by the dealer that did the damage.

That shop should have insurance. And even though the owner is being good about it, I would retain a lawyer, or at least talk to one and start down that road.
Landru (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 05:05 PM
DWRAT
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If it was hurt you will hear it when running most likely.
Another thing to check would be your cats, they may be clogged with all the oil that was pushed through them.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Sorry to hear this. Stop trying to start the car. You need to pull the intake immediately and inspect for oil. See any? Then pull the throttle body and look inside the manifold for oil. See any? Then pull the manifold and look for oil in the cylinders. See any? Then pull the plugs and get the motor turned over and look for oil coming out of the holes. See any? Pull heads and start checking cylinders.

You need a leakdown test on every cylinder. Also pull the oil filter, cut the sucker open and look for metal.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow that's a real bummer .. I think the answer that you are looking for is already been said up above...
Old 03-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Azexotics1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rjacobs
engine most likely trash. I believe the last thread about this that was the case.

Engine, oil cooler, oil tank, lines, etc... were all replaced by the dealer that did the damage.

That shop should have insurance. And even though the owner is being good about it, I would retain a lawyer, or at least talk to one and start down that road.

yes i did start speaking with a lawyer friend just to make sure my documentation of the incident is properly done for my protection. I did read that last thread quite thoroughly too. I guess what I'm hoping someone would have a good opinion of is during the situation of the oil pan being heavily overfilled what parts could or would most likely get damaged from it being started like that?

Thank you all for the advice and help, this is an awesome community
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Probably a bent rod or two.
outhouse (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Azexotics1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tech
Let us know how it turns out.

I definitely will
Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
Probably a bent rod or two.

This is sadly the most probable outcome.

OP when the motor would not turn over it was the hydro locked pistons stopping the engine and the rods bend very easy when this happens.

Wishing you luck.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:23 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a hell of an overfill.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

This is unbelievable. This was completely avoidable and should never have happened. I know my response isn't directly answering your question, it just burns me that someone not familiar with a dry sump lubrication system wouldn't at least ask someone for assistance before tackling the job.

I agree with the above posters that the engine will most likely require an overhaul for numerous reasons now.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:28 PM
scutzi128
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man this sucks. Horror stories like these are the reason I never trust anyone to work on any of my personal vehicles!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:32 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Oh man. We see this too often...
Old 03-06-2017, 04:53 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes, very unfortunate and sad. I have always done my own oil changes and will continue to do so, especially on the Z06 with its oiling system...too many of these occurrences.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Azexotics1
The owner has been very good aboutvit all and is willing to do anything to help or make it right but what do I need to get inspected? Is the engine shot? Very stressed about this all
Glad hearing owner's cooperating & concerned, he should be.
Because, you're due a new LS7 w/ trimmings.
Another member said these outfits have insurance, and precisely for this reason.

A good Chevrolet tech must do a compete teardown, confirm what everyone knows happened, they trashed a LS7, & what's required. A new LS7.

What a bummer.
Only good thing, a factory-new LS7.
G/L, keep us posted on resolution.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:56 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

That SUX!!! Sorry for your loss... Bet you wish you had taken that road trip to the Chevy Stealership.... An hour drive would have been better. I would totally demand the Mobil One quick lube foot the entire bill!

Get notified of new replies

To Major Failure!! Overfilled oil

Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Unless you're completely disabled, you should be changing your own oil. These things are 100% avoidable by doing it yourself. The person that cares most about your car is you, the owner. All you need is a jack and some ramps. Peace of mind is priceless, my friend.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

"Chevy dealer techs in the middle of nowhere" are perfectly capable of screwing this up as well.

Your primary mistake was not changing your own oil.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I recant my previous post and concur with Dan...

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
"Chevy dealer techs in the middle of nowhere" are perfectly capable of screwing this up as well.

Your primary mistake was not changing your own oil.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Major Failure!! Overfilled oil