Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dodged a bullet

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Dan4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodged a bullet

Took my 2009 zo6 to my engine builder to have the valve guides checked. After getting the heads off he said they were the worst they had ever seen. Valves were worn and guides are shot. Getting it fixed now and having heads milled and worked also getting cai and tune. Should be up and running soon.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Good 4 you.... Pesky valve guides! I too am dropping my car off in June to get things addressed as a precaution. Car runs great!

Last edited by TXGS507; 05-17-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Dan4
5th Gear

Yeah just bought the car 2 months ago. It has 38k on it. Has been running great. No noise from the valves but check engine light came on and showed a misfire on cylinder 4. Also burnt a qt of oil in a few hundred miles. Didn't seem right so I took it in to let them look it over.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

😂😂

Another shop who gains from making a bad finding says that the heads need to be replaced. What a shock.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:10 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Do you even have a job!!? Or do you just troll around the forum looking for this kind of stuff...?

The OP states that he took his car to HIS PERSONAL ENGINE BUILDER to get his guides checked. His findings were not good so he is having it fixed RIGHT! So, are you calling his engine builder a crook?

Originally Posted by Datrojan
😂😂

Another shop who gains from making a bad finding says that the heads need to be replaced. What a shock.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

😂😂

Please leave us alone.

No one wants to hear your GM shill PoV on this matter.

That is all.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan4
Yeah just bought the car 2 months ago. It has 38k on it. Has been running great. No noise from the valves but check engine light came on and showed a misfire on cylinder 4. Also burnt a qt of oil in a few hundred miles. Didn't seem right so I took it in to let them look it over.
Wow, that seems like a lot of oil to burn due to valves.
Hope you don't have any other issues.

DH
Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

😂😂

Proof?
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry guys I'm a natural skeptic.

My friend took his Z06 to a local shop down here to have his heads inspected. What he received was a DOOMSDAY diagnosis. Shop owner said the wiggle test failed on every valve especially one valve that had excessive wear and was going to drop any day now.

However, the shop owner conveniently had a heads and cam package ready and available. 70K (SEVENTY THOUSAND MILES) later, my buds Z06 is still running strong with the stock heads.

I'm NOT saying that the LS7 doesn't have a cylinder head issue. Clearly it does as several owners have reported their engine going kaboom in various years and various mileage levels.

My skepticism is with the test methods. Does every shop know how to accurately perform the wiggle test? What control methods are in place to ensure accurate results?

The easy thing to do is to fail the test and recommend cylinder heads.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Dan4
5th Gear

[QUOTE=Datrojan;1594759825]Sorry guys I'm a natural skeptic.

My friend took his Z06 to a local shop down here to have his heads inspected. What he received was a DOOMSDAY diagnosis. Shop owner said the wiggle test failed on every valve especially one valve that had excessive wear and was going to drop any day now.

However, the shop owner conveniently had a heads and cam package ready and available. 70K (SEVENTY THOUSAND MILES) later, my buds Z06 is still running strong with the stock heads.

I'm NOT saying that the LS7 doesn't have a cylinder head issue. Clearly it does as several owners have reported their engine going kaboom in various years and various mileage levels.

My skepticism is with the test methods. Does every shop know how to accurately perform the wiggle test? What control methods are in place to ensure accurate results?

The easy thing to do is to fail the test and recommend cylinder heads.[/QUOTI understand that you might be a skeptic and I'm sure that some people would take advantage of the issue. With that being said I'm not trying to get anyone to do anything to their vehicle. I wanted to make sure that mine was good to go. Also I was going to have the heads fully worked and milled in the next few weeks anyway. I trust my engine builder and I know from my own experience that he is a straight up guy. I'm just glad that I took in to him instead of waiting. As I found out that it was about to drop a valve. We all know that would have been very bad. They all showed signs of excessive wear and the guides were shot.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:46 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,714 Likes on 2,999 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a bumper to bumper warranty for 34 more months, I may just wait & see...what would you do in my case?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 449er
I have a bumper to bumper warranty for 34 more months, I may just wait & see...what would you do in my case?
Pull a valve cover and check for myself
Old 06-16-2019, 10:10 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Pull a valve cover and check for myself

It's not that hard.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

If you have a quality B to B warranty and don't need the car for a couple months, wait. I tracked my Z but waited until a month before the warranty expired to go full HCI. 15 of 16 valves were out of spec, as physically measured with the heads off and springs removed (not wiggle test).
Old 06-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

If covered under a warranty (GMEPP?) leave it stock and leave it alone. Just enjoy.
GM claims there's no issue w/ LS7. Fine.
Yours blows GM's on the hook for a new LS7, installed, and clock gets reset to 0.

Not only what I'd do, it's what I did.
Once my '08 no longer qualified for a renewed GMEPP, LS7 is on my dime & ball's in my court.
No coverage on my LS7 was The Sign time to be proactive had arrived. YMMV
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 PM
lgzildjian
Heel & Toe

Default ...taking no chances

With no GMEPP warranty on my recently acquired '12 Z06, I'm not taking any chances with this motor. I bit the bullet and have the car going to a shop at the start of August to have the heads, valve guides, etc. taken care of. I knew this was an issue with the LS7 motor before buying this car so was prepared for the expense. I guess the bigger question on my mind is, how is GM getting away with this issue? This seems like an easy class action lawsuit against GM - am I missing something here?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:21 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by lgzildjian
With no GMEPP warranty on my recently acquired '12 Z06, I'm not taking any chances with this motor. I bit the bullet and have the car going to a shop at the start of August to have the heads, valve guides, etc. taken care of. I knew this was an issue with the LS7 motor before buying this car so was prepared for the expense. I guess the bigger question on my mind is, how is GM getting away with this issue? This seems like an easy class action lawsuit against GM - am I missing something here?
There is one ............

DH
Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan4
Took my 2009 zo6 to my engine builder to have the valve guides checked. After getting the heads off he said they were the worst they had ever seen. Valves were worn and guides are shot. Getting it fixed now and having heads milled and worked also getting cai and tune. Should be up and running soon.
Originally Posted by SocalChvy
😂😂

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Proof?
I was going to ask if the shop even asked the owner to come down and see for himself. Not doubting the shop, but, if I needed new valves and guides etc, I would want to see for myself; my heads, my worn valve guides.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan4;1594760212]
Sorry guys I'm a natural skeptic.

The easy thing to do is to fail the test and recommend cylinder heads.[/QUOTI understand that you might be a skeptic and I'm sure that some people would take advantage of the issue. With that being said I'm not trying to get anyone to do anything to their vehicle. I wanted to make sure that mine was good to go. Also I was going to have the heads fully worked and milled in the next few weeks anyway. I trust my engine builder and I know from my own experience that he is a straight up guy. I'm just glad that I took in to him instead of waiting. As I found out that it was about to drop a valve. We all know that would have been very bad. They all showed signs of excessive wear and the guides were shot.
Did he too conveniently have a heads/cam package ready and available?

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 06-17-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dodged a bullet

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dodged a bullet