Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Racing wing to cheap? Track rookie

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Have you SPECIFICALLY and EXACTLY experienced a situation on a race track whereby you felt that more rear aero was necessary? What exactly (with details) occurred that resulted in you desiring to slap a cheap wing on the rear? And no, shredding your tires at a stop light does not qualify, and no wing will help this phenomena anyhow. Until you know exactly what the car is doing or not doing, you should never make drastic changes to the aerodynamic profile of your car, especially using cheap parts. This is the last time I personally repeat this. Aero is almost always last, and depends on many, many variables.

Tried to explain it the long, correct way, but that didn't work so here is the short version: That is a cheap, pile of steaming **** wing, typically used by ricers and cars and coffee guys. It will likely crack your deck lid, rip itself off, destabilize the car, discolor, delaminate and add a giant parachute to your rear end even in the best case scenario. It will do nothing worthwhile, and make you the laughing stock of anyone that sees that horrible, putrid thing screwed into your deck. And when you realize this (after it rips itself off or you rip it off yourself), you will have multiple holes in your trunk lid and you will wish you never attempted this hairbrained move.
Ok no wing
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

LG. Extremely expensive but done correctly, and race-proven. I have also seen alot of custom fab jobs at the track that are done very, very well. I can post pics if anyone wants.
Yes please!

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Post away...
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Here are structural supports that are braced with a cross bar (look between the top of the supports) that helps resist lateral movement:

Additional supports extend into the hatch area and attach to the cage:

Here is where the deck lid was cut and the support struts protruding through:

Here is the strut:

Here is the receiver that is used to attach the wing:

Here is the wing mounted. It was designed by G-Stream using computational fluid dynamics (computer modeling) and tested in a wind tunnel:

Here is another idea to mitigate lateral movement (look at the L bracket):

Here is yet another way:

AJ Hartman makes a great wing. The swan mounts are a top mount configuration, so the mounts attach to the top of the wing instead of the bottom.

And if you can't do this, then you did it wrong:

Old 06-25-2017, 10:14 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

AJ Hartman makes a great wing. The swan mounts are a top mount configuration, so the mounts attach to the top of the wing instead of the bottom.
The splitter they offer looks amazing also: http://www.ajhartmanracing.com/c5-c6-splitter/

Do you have experience with the AJ Hartman wing on a C6Z? Wondering what the best way to attach to the frame crossmember would be.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

That looks so good!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:53 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Here are structural supports that are braced with a cross bar (look between the top of the supports) that helps resist lateral movement:

Additional supports extend into the hatch area and attach to the cage:

Here is where the deck lid was cut and the support struts protruding through:

Here is the strut:

Here is the receiver that is used to attach the wing:

Here is the wing mounted. It was designed by G-Stream using computational fluid dynamics (computer modeling) and tested in a wind tunnel:

Here is another idea to mitigate lateral movement (look at the L bracket):

Here is yet another way:

And if you can't do this, then you did it wrong:

Thanks brother appreciate it allot, learning as I'm going!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Which wing and supports are these?

Please tell me they're not a one off custom
Not just used on our hill climb car, we won many world Challenge races with this set up.

We did wind tunnel testing in the GM Wind tunnel and what you see is not only race proven but race WINNING design and application.

That photo is our full kit ready to install that one of our customers cars.

As for the wing, it was originally developed by GM for their ALMS GT1 car and they gave us the CAD design that we used to fit the rules for our GT2 car and our World Challenge Corvette.

It is a proven profile with great lift to drag numbers.

Installing good quality, Race proven parts on your track car is more of an investment. The hard work of developing the packages that work has been done by us at LG Motorsports and proven with our success using our parts.

Once you build the car and make sure that you build it right, you just tune your driving and minor tun your car.

*** Trying to improve your driving on an unbalanced or ill handling car is a dead end.

I have been racing and winning for over 40 years and each time I hit the track, I LEARN SOMETHING NEW> I improve my skills each time. No one is perfect but if you want to keep getting better, then remove the unknowns from your equation and build the best you can afford rather than fighting your car.

Just my .02

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

SAME WING Adapted to our C7 with center mounts.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-28-2017 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CammedC6520 (06-28-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Racing wing to cheap? Track rookie