Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Head/valve "Fix" guarantee

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Head/valve "Fix" guarantee

A friend asked me about getting the current "fix" done to his head and wanted to know if any of the shops that are modifying the heads/guides/valves provide any guarantee that the problem is really corrected. I told him I would post the question here but as far as I know there is not a guaranteed fix. I am a retired engineer and when we had a systemic issue there was a formal failure review board process that looked at all the possible contributing influences and provided the results and recommended corrective action to management. I do not expect a shop to perform this analysis and without GMs data it couldn't be accurately perform by an independent outside company. So the question is does any of the shops that advertise a "fix" actually guarantee their "fix" is the correct work? I did call a few places and the only response was we know what we are doing and we don't have any problems but would not commit to a guarantee that a valve issue would not happen again.

My advise to him was that if a shop does not warranty their work just buy a GM extended warranty and if it happens let GM replace the motor. Any better data I get will be passed on to my buddy.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:56 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm sure that any shop is not going to warranty that their heads are "fixed". They will warranty that they are a good set of heads.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

There is a ton of reasons a valve can drop, or a motor fail. So what exactly would the shop be warranting? That the heads were built to spec, or are you expecting them to pay for a new motor when someone miss shifts, installs a cam with incorrect valve springs, doesn't maintain their valve train, runs crap gas/etc and chunks a piston, which knocks a valve off.

Other cars drop valves. My friends bone stock ZL1 with <6k miles dropped a valve in a movie theater parking lot.

So warrantying defects in their work/heads sure. Warrantying someones motor because someone did a valve job, that is a HUGE stretch.

Only way a possible warranty could work is if the shop installs/tunes/etc. That is how LPE/Hennesey do warranties. It is their package. You pay 2x as much, so basically prepaying for a failure.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Taking the "low road", e.g. any GM-related solution is best for those that have plenty of time and patience on their hands, because they will need it (fighting with warranty company, dealing with a failed motor on public streets or a race track, damage from being towed, potential damage from spining in your own oil, dealing with a dealership, waiting on parts, waiting on a replacement motor, fighting to get oil coolers, lines and tank replaced, potential damage from engine removal and installation, having the car sit outside at a dealership for weeks at a time, loss of use (but the monthly payment notes keep coming), paying for insurance on a vehicle you can't drive, potential failed transmission because they always seem to forget to refill it after engine re-installation, possible reduced resale value, possibility of dealing with the 12-13's and on main bearing and rod issues...

That's just off the top..

Or, spend $2K and dramatically reduce your risk of failure.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:18 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

In my opinion there is no "FIX" for the LS7 that doesn't include going back to design. There is only bandages. Some bandages are better then others. It will always be a high maintenance engine. First time I saw one with the valve covers off and I saw the offset rockers told me all I need to know
Old 07-12-2017, 08:05 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Agree with Dan...while a warranty is a "nice to have"...its certainly not a pleasurable experience to go through a motor failure claim as we've seen in here on more than one occasion.

I'd rather do what I can to mitigate the possibility of a failure. If reliability/longevity is the primary concern of your friend OP, I'd advise them to fix the heads by having them rebuilt by a reputable LS shop, and stay with a stock cam. Too high of a lift cam causes unnecessary side-loading and leads to premature guide wear. Even on some "fixed" heads as we're beginning to see. The wipe pattern using stock rockers become less than ideal after about .630" lift. Stock cam is .591" IIRC.

I too wanted a "fix" that offered stock driveability, motor longevity, and better than stock reliability. I went with: AHP package 4 heads, MS90 guide upgrade, PSI 1511 beehives w/Ti retainers, Ferrea F2042p 1 piece hollow stem ex valves....stock cam. Proven parts, spintron tested...I feel I've done the best I could with mitigating a possible valvetrain induced catastrophic engine failure.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 07-12-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

good comments by all of the above...

...the only guarantees in life are death & taxes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Taking the "low road", e.g. any GM-related solution is best for those that have plenty of time and patience on their hands, because they will need it (fighting with warranty company, dealing with a failed motor on public streets or a race track, damage from being towed, potential damage from spining in your own oil, dealing with a dealership, waiting on parts, waiting on a replacement motor, fighting to get oil coolers, lines and tank replaced, potential damage from engine removal and installation, having the car sit outside at a dealership for weeks at a time, loss of use (but the monthly payment notes keep coming), paying for insurance on a vehicle you can't drive, potential failed transmission because they always seem to forget to refill it after engine re-installation, possible reduced resale value, possibility of dealing with the 12-13's and on main bearing and rod issues...

That's just off the top..

Or, spend $2K and dramatically reduce your risk of failure.
So is the word on the street not to even touch a 2012-2013 because of this? Sucks cuz I wanted a Centennial someday...
Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to mod a 11-13 MY like any other LS7. I think you are good to buy a centennial. Get a Z07 car though....
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
So is the word on the street not to even touch a 2012-2013 because of this? Sucks cuz I wanted a Centennial someday...
I believe most of those issues showed up very early on, sometimes with just hundreds of miles on the odometer as I remember reading some first-hand accounts.

The '13 427 'Vert market is amazing right now, there is one nearby with 47k miles on it and it's going for just about that many thousands of dollars. There are a handful of 427 'Verts nearby but they usually have double-digit tens of thousands of miles on them, it's actually rare to find one that hasn't been driven/enjoyed.

Even if you found a gem with just hundreds of miles it, find an aftermarket warranty or what not if it makes you feel better. I believe if it's got more than a couple of thousand miles on it, you should be okay as far as the main bearings and connecting rod issues are concerned. I have a 2012 Z06 that I bought a little over a year ago with 5k miles on it, and maybe 1,400 miles more on it as of today. I just ordered some heads from AHP and will swap them out soon, but I'm not really concerned by the main bearings or connecting rods at this point.

Last edited by BigVette427; 07-13-2017 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
American Heritage (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I am having my heads done in a couple weeks. The typical solution most people go with...heads machined, new bronze valve guides, stainless steel exhaust valves (some use the hollow ones for weight savings still), new springs and retainers.

Tp my understanding, and what seems like a ton of evidence backing this up, once this is done, there have been few to no valve issues after. I have asked quite a few shops and they both stated that after performing this work that it's pretty much bullet proof engine.

Now consider most people drop a cam in the car when having their heads done and are running the car highly modified and still not having the valve issue is even more peace of mine. I, on the other hand, am keeping the car completely stock. Not because I am afraid of a possible failure, but just because I never plan on racing it and the stock power level is more than enough for me.

Now think about how intense the forums are. You hear of EVERY dropped valve issue on the forums. We all know the internet will blow these things way out of proportion. Now of course we all know this issue is real, so I am not dismissing that. But if people were having issues after getting the heads done, and we know there are a ton of people on here with highly modified engines beating the **** out of them, you know we would seeing the "I dropped a valve and my heads were done" threads. I personally have never seen one.

I was detoured from buying a Z06 for a while because of the internet hype on this issue, but now I feel the fix is definitely good after doing my research.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Disagree with it is more on forum. Go to a local performance shop and see all the cars they are constantly repairing from dropped valves, and at least here, that numbers blows what is posted on the forum away.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Ghost Knight
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Disagree with it is more on forum. Go to a local performance shop and see all the cars they are constantly repairing from dropped valves, and at least here, that numbers blows what is posted on the forum away.
Yup. I personally know of several cars that it has happened to more than once (they put in stock motors which subsequently blew). When you ask the shops they have dropped valved LS7s come in all the time.

So much so that I parked my car until I got the heads fixed. Why risk a $10k build unnecessarily?
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
A friend asked me about getting the current "fix" done to his head and wanted to know if any of the shops that are modifying the heads/guides/valves provide any guarantee that the problem is really corrected. I told him I would post the question here but as far as I know there is not a guaranteed fix. I am a retired engineer and when we had a systemic issue there was a formal failure review board process that looked at all the possible contributing influences and provided the results and recommended corrective action to management. I do not expect a shop to perform this analysis and without GMs data it couldn't be accurately perform by an independent outside company. So the question is does any of the shops that advertise a "fix" actually guarantee their "fix" is the correct work? I did call a few places and the only response was we know what we are doing and we don't have any problems but would not commit to a guarantee that a valve issue would not happen again.

My advise to him was that if a shop does not warranty their work just buy a GM extended warranty and if it happens let GM replace the motor. Any better data I get will be passed on to my buddy.
There is a correct way of doing things, and many wrong ways...... You having an engineering background know this well enough. What discipline anyway? The oil industry has treated me well troubleshooting and fixing broke stuff the past couple decades.

This engine is not so radically different than any other pushrod actuated, overhead valve V8; that there is any reason why standard practices won't work for it, just like the gazillion others around the world.....

I put this thread together a couple years ago, thinking it might provide some logic. I didn't.....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uide-wear.html
Old 07-14-2017, 06:01 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
I am having my heads done in a couple weeks. The typical solution most people go with...heads machined, new bronze valve guides, stainless steel exhaust valves (some use the hollow ones for weight savings still), new springs and retainers.

Tp my understanding, and what seems like a ton of evidence backing this up, once this is done, there have been few to no valve issues after. I have asked quite a few shops and they both stated that after performing this work that it's pretty much bullet proof engine.

Now consider most people drop a cam in the car when having their heads done and are running the car highly modified and still not having the valve issue is even more peace of mine. I, on the other hand, am keeping the car completely stock. Not because I am afraid of a possible failure, but just because I never plan on racing it and the stock power level is more than enough for me.

Now think about how intense the forums are. You hear of EVERY dropped valve issue on the forums. We all know the internet will blow these things way out of proportion. Now of course we all know this issue is real, so I am not dismissing that. But if people were having issues after getting the heads done, and we know there are a ton of people on here with highly modified engines beating the **** out of them, you know we would seeing the "I dropped a valve and my heads were done" threads. I personally have never seen one.

I was detoured from buying a Z06 for a while because of the internet hype on this issue, but now I feel the fix is definitely good after doing my research.
Glad you were not detoured forever off the Z06 because of the factory head/valve guide issue. Once you get it squared away the LS7 is a solid engine.

We have a slightly different approach to our reworks than the traditional bronze guide, heavy solid ss exh valves approach.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
310-326-2399
Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

anything can break.....a high lift cam esp if run at rpm will wear guides springs etc prematurely cant have it all.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael_D;1595142485]There is a correct way of doing things, and many wrong ways...... You having an engineering background know this well enough. What discipline anyway? The oil industry has treated me well troubleshooting and fixing broke stuff the past couple decades.

IT seems we have a similar engineering history as I started out as a EE but my primary skill set is to troubleshoot system problems and I have been very lucky working with some very intelligent people that taught me some very important things and the one thing that keeps coming back is without data everything is just an opinion. Without GM data on the heads the only thing left are opinions and guesses. I have decided to advise my friend just to extend the GMEPP for a few more years and by then either sell the car or relook at what may have been found out by the lawsuit that is currently in work.

I agree with your list of potential causes and sometimes we fail to realize the emission requirements GM has to meet. After deleting lead from our solder we have had many years of painful learning to get back to where we were before lead was banned. As you pointed out oil in the exhaust is a requirement that might have a negative impact on guide wear. Only time will prove if GM will release the engineering drawing and work instructions for the heads.

Thanks to all and we are going with GMEPP and this tread can be closed.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Craiger77
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Agreed. Find a social media Z06 page. It's there also. Since the popularity of facebook, instagram, etc. owners have mitigate there and don't post forums as often but stories are still popping up.
Talk to shops Like RPM. They have seen numerous LS7 failures. If it was isolated like the 12-13 bearing I wouldnt worry about my 07' bearings. But the valve issues are across the board and even showing up in Camaro LS7's. The real question isnt if the problem exists, its if the head fix makes it go away.

Get notified of new replies

To Head/valve "Fix" guarantee

Quick Reply: Head/valve "Fix" guarantee