Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] No Tach - Service Active Handling - Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Make sure you pick up a battery tender if this car isn't your daily driver. These cars will drain a battery if it sits for prolonged periods (C5Z's were worse IMO), and weak batteries will cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. Keep us posted with your outcome.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 PM
beckerspeed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah I have a starter on order I just need to get this low pig up in the air to change it. Any suggestions ?

Hot starts are a bitch I'm wondering if I can find a starter blanket
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

DEI Starter Heat Shield Wraps...but unless it has long tube headers, the heat really shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-16-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM
dcooper23
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently in the EXACT same boat. Ill find out today if the battery did the job and if I'm going to replace the starter too with the DEI heat wrap.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM
beckerspeed
Intermediate

new battery has been holding up fine under hot starts, although slow it hasn't warranted a cool down yet.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:59 AM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Same thing with my '06 34k miles on Second engine. Problem existed on original motor as well. I purchased an MSD High Power Starter, new batteries and still persists.

It's ONLY when heat soaked. Slow dragging start.....then about 30% of time will go into weird limp mode seems like. RPM tach will not work 100% of time when this happens.

Originally Posted by beckerspeed
new battery has been holding up fine under hot starts, although slow it hasn't warranted a cool down yet.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:00 AM
badass7
Pro

Problem Always resolved after a cool down as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

I went through this in the 70's with a hot rodded 454 LS5 I had. Tried everything just like you guys, new starters guaranteed to fix it, heat shields, batteries, bigger batteries....... If you went somewhere in the summer in it you had to plan to stay at least 30 minutes before trying to start the car. Made 7 Eleven stops worthless unless someone was with you to stay with the running car. I did finally find a solution, got married and gave the car to my new wife.....she still hates that car

But seriously, I would try new battery cables next.

Steve
Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I would check the cable up by the engine fuse box too. Mine got loose over time. Pull off cover on fuse box and you will see cable lug right there.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM
beckerspeed
Intermediate

Update :

Same same on hot day. Drove it today and on my lunch I ran errands And third time it did the slow start barely start limp mode.

New battery is installed.

Next on the list is tracing the cables and installing the starter. I hope this fixes it. I might buy a heat shield for it as this sucks driving this pig like this in limp mode. How is this not mentioned more or is there only small percentage of cars affected?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 11:48 PM
badass7
Pro

Brand new high torque starter MSD Dynaforce......still in exact same boat. When cool starts up like a champ. After a good heat soak, slow start, No RPM Tach, No power steering, then stuck in some weird limp mode. Cannot rev above 4K without hesitation and rough running.

let it cool down and starts right back up like a champ. New battery and brand new Dynaforce $300 starter.

​​​​​​​
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I hate to see it here when people just start throwing parts at a car without doing the proper troubleshooting first. In this situation the correct voltage checks probably would have revealed the REAL problem.

I would have...

1) Cut 2 10' lengths of #16 or so stranded wire.

2) Connected one wire to the positive terminal of the battery.

3) Connected the other wire to the main battery terminal on the starter.

4) Hook a multimeter to the other ends of both wires, meter on the proper DC voltage

5) Have a friend crank car (when hot to duplicate problem) and read voltage.

Any voltage drop between battery and starter will be reflected in the meter reading. For instance, If the battery reads 12 volts and you read 2 volts on the meter then you're getting only 10 volts to the starter.

On the other hand, if the battery is up to snuff and you read zero volts on the meter while cranking then I'd look to internal engine problems (engine rotating assembly binding). If that's the case you're chasing the rabbit down the wrong hole and most likely an engine tear-down is in order. You can PM me for more info if you like...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:07 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by badass7
Brand new high torque starter MSD Dynaforce......still in exact same boat. When cool starts up like a champ. After a good heat soak, slow start, No RPM Tach, No power steering, then stuck in some weird limp mode. Cannot rev above 4K without hesitation and rough running.

let it cool down and starts right back up like a champ. New battery and brand new Dynaforce $300 starter.

​​​​​​​
check the crank position sensor and wiring
Old 10-27-2017, 01:17 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

check your grounds, and even add an extra ground to a clean connection point(no paint/rustproofing)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 PM
badass7
Pro

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
check your grounds, and even add an extra ground to a clean connection point(no paint/rustproofing)
Im about to leave it w shop to go thru all electrical cables.....Battery from trunk all the way thru front. Check all grounds as well. I see it’s Def electrical as it shows it’s face when everything is heated up/under load.

Will report back when this is resolved.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Paranoid
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
I hate to see it here when people just start throwing parts at a car without doing the proper troubleshooting first. In this situation the correct voltage checks probably would have revealed the REAL problem.

I would have...

1) Cut 2 10' lengths of #16 or so stranded wire.

2) Connected one wire to the positive terminal of the battery.

3) Connected the other wire to the main battery terminal on the starter.

4) Hook a multimeter to the other ends of both wires, meter on the proper DC voltage

5) Have a friend crank car (when hot to duplicate problem) and read voltage.

Any voltage drop between battery and starter will be reflected in the meter reading. For instance, If the battery reads 12 volts and you read 2 volts on the meter then you're getting only 10 volts to the starter.

On the other hand, if the battery is up to snuff and you read zero volts on the meter while cranking then I'd look to internal engine problems (engine rotating assembly binding). If that's the case you're chasing the rabbit down the wrong hole and most likely an engine tear-down is in order. You can PM me for more info if you like...
This is the best advice you can get right here!! My motor was also slow to start after heat soaking just before it blew......If you don't have a warranty I would suggest trying to verify as quickly as possible that it is indeed an electrical issue before you unwittingly mess something up during your test drives.......my motor went from seemingly running fine to knocking like a bitch with 7 psi of idle oil pressure........coincidentally after a heat soaked start up at the gas station.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 AM
badass7
Pro

No Clear Cut Solution yet ?? I’ve yet to see a thread detailing successful resolution. I’m still waiting to get mine to shop. It’s getting worse seems like an every day issue now. But if she cools off for an hour Bamn......starts right back up w RPM Tach working and drives perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To No Tach - Service Active Handling - Running Rough

Old 06-21-2020, 05:29 PM
Rt53vette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rt53vette

Originally Posted by beckerspeed
Update :

Same same on hot day. Drove it today and on my lunch I ran errands And third time it did the sloand installing the starter. I hope this fixes it. I might buy a heat shield for it as this sucks driving this pig like this in limp mode. How is this not mentioned more or is there only small percentage of cars affected?
Thanks
hey, I’m a new member and read the post, what was the end result with your issue? I have a 2012 grand sport with 11,000 miles and have the same exact issue.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:58 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Darn, I just dropped mine at the dealer and took an Uber home, because the Tach was dead. Wish I had checked here first, but the car was also doing some limp mode stuff on the 1-2 shift, the steering wheel was hard to turn. The whole thing just gave me the creeps, and I am one month from an inspection due anyway.
Oh.. my battery is brand new, but has gone completely flat already once, due to lack of use. The Autozone guys recharged it for free once. Since then I have tried to drive once a week, just to keep it exercised.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:01 AM
ChuckZ062009
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was anyone able to solve this issue?

Quick Reply: [Z06] No Tach - Service Active Handling - Running Rough