Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Looking for a C6 Z06, but have a couple of QUESTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 AM
Carbdzn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a C6 Z06, but have a couple of QUESTIONS!

Okay, Im looking for a c6 Z06, I wanted to know what was the better years of a C6.

I also have found out that the LS7 has a head problem, wanting to know whats the best replace ment for it in your oppinion and also a good cam.
Read and seen Z06's with just heads and a cam make some decent power! (like bigKleb with his z06 when he first got it.)

Also i want to know what to look for when i go and look at a Z06.

Last question is it better to save money and dump the extra money in to a base model c6 with a ls2.

Paint schemes id like to get are Jetstream blue, white, black, grey and maybe red.

I have a c4 vet, i just want something newer and faster with a bigger engine!

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbdzn
Okay, Im looking for a c6 Z06, I wanted to know what was the better years of a C6.
'08 began the 'improvements', like TR6060, an improved steering ratio among several others. '09+ got a larger sump, IIRC.

'06 were lightest & '07 probably close, seems '08 on brought a lot of creature comfort options contributing to curb weight increase.
Same LS7 throughout entire run.

All LS7s are subject to a catastrophic failure resulting w/ a destroyed engine. Theory is premature guide wear due to bad geometry generates excess heat leading to valve breaking & ingested.
Punches a hole through aluminum block, game over.

Many members, unless under warranty, have heads rebuilt.
Forum has several excellent vendors rebuilding LS7 heads to order, most offer an exchange program.
They send refurbished heads, you send back old ones after install minimizing downtime.
Requires a refundable $1K deposit.

Be thinking $1,500, more if better rockers/springs/guides are desired.
If paying for labor, $1K's the most often quoted cost.
An Internet search will produce many threads discussing heads et al, most links lead back here.

Can do anything w/ LS7, what's in your wallet?
Just do it right because a new LS7 is not an inexpensive venture if a goof-up causes it to frag. Its happened, just recently also.
I'm an old geezer, 505 is more than enough for me & tricky to use too. YMMV

Look for a garage queen, ideally single owner w/ complete maint history. They're out there. A GMVIS + Carfax & any other report should be carefully read. Avoid cars while under original B2B in for same complaint.

Latest MY w/ lowest miles is always preferred, so be prepared to pay a tad more for a clean well loved Z06.
Make sure tires are good, a new set can cost a couple Gs, while brakes aren't necessarily expensive for OEM stock, upgrades can cost plenty.
Rule of thumb: If it looks clean it's clean, if it looks beat it's beat.

Chosen colors are realistic, JSB rarest of the bunch.
I drive a JSB 2LZ '08. Nice color.

Last question is it better to save money and dump the extra money in to a base model c6 with a ls2...I have a c4 vet, i just want something newer and faster with a bigger engine!
Driven a C6 Z06?
This model speaks for itself, precisely why I intend holding on to mine until I can no longer drive. It's that special.

Last edited by Landru; 11-19-2017 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carbdzn (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:33 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I also have found out that the LS7 has a head problem, wanting to know whats the best replace ment for it in your oppinion and also a good cam.
Read and seen Z06's with just heads and a cam make some decent power! (like bigKleb with his z06 when he first got it.)

Also i want to know what to look for when i go and look at a Z06.

Last question is it better to save money and dump the extra money in to a base model c6 with a ls2.

Paint schemes id like to get are Jetstream blue, white, black, grey and maybe red.

I have a c4 vet, i just want something newer and faster with a bigger engine!

Thank you!
Best years: 2006-2013 They all have the same engine, same valve
problems. 2008 came with TR606 tranny.
Minor differences in looks and interior
throughout the years.

As far as where to go: Someone who knows about LS7
engines...WCCH,, etc (too many to list)

What to look for: 2 seats, steering wheel, 4 tires (including rims), roof,
etc. (anything you would look for on any other
vehicle).

LS2 or LS7: Depends on what you want to do with the car.
Carbdzn (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:22 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Hmmmmmm... suspicious.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I was talked out of the c6 z06 and was the best thing I ever listened too. Bought a c7 and now I’m on to a z06. I would buy a c7 with miles on it rather than worrying about my engine blowing up.
Carbdzn (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 PM
dhpeck
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Go for it. Fix the heads and you have a bullet proof Z. If you really want a C7, or C7Z wait 2 years and the prices will plummet from where they are now. There are plenty of issues with the C7 also- failing auto transmissions, overheating in the Z etc etc i fact, every car will have issues
Carbdzn (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerrock
I was talked out of the c6 z06 and was the best thing I ever listened too. Bought a c7 and now I’m on to a z06. I would buy a c7 with miles on it rather than worrying about my engine blowing up.
Any motor can let go at any moment. Whoever talked you out of a C6 Z06 is not a true friend to you.
The following 3 users liked this post by jayyyw:
Carbdzn (11-21-2017), LS1Steve (11-19-2017), REDZED2 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

ITs a known problem!! Sure any motor can let go, but the c6z is the issue here. I’m glad I was talked out of the c6!!!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:15 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

ITs a known problem!! Sure any motor can let go, but the c6z is the issue here. I’m glad I was talked out of the c6!!!

$3K proactive fix and you have a much better race car with a C6Z. I smoke C7's all day long. If you were 'talked out of...' then you clearly didn't really know what you were buying so a C7 is a much better fit for you. Yellow with black stripes, no less LMAO

Last edited by LS1Steve; 11-19-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

LMFAO...talked out of a C6Z. Couldn't talk me into a C7 if they were free...just can't stand the rear end of them. Maybe the C8 will look better since it won't be designed amidst a recession where cost cutting is the highest priority for GM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTPZ06:
Landru (11-20-2017), REDZED2 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:20 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
LMFAO...talked out of a C6Z. Couldn't talk me into a C7 if they were free...just can't stand the rear end of them. Maybe the C8 will look better since it won't be designed amidst a recession where cost cutting is the highest priority for GM.
Very well said Mike. If you have never been behind the wheel of a lightly modded C6Z or heavy modded C6Z you don't know what you have missed in Corvette life. The LS7 at it's very best is s still an amazing power plant... 12 years old and showing no signs of losing its brute strength. Yes the heads were screwed up from design. Not enough to fix them and enjoy that 427 torque monster.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 AM
Carbdzn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Landru
'08 began the 'improvements', like TR6060, an improved steering ratio among several others. '09+ got a larger sump, IIRC.

'06 were lightest & '07 probably close, seems '08 on brought a lot of creature comfort options contributing to curb weight increase.
Same LS7 throughout entire run.

All LS7s are subject to a catastrophic failure resulting w/ a destroyed engine. Theory is premature guide wear due to bad geometry generates excess heat leading to valve breaking & ingested.
Punches a hole through aluminum block, game over.

Many members, unless under warranty, have heads rebuilt.
Forum has several excellent vendors rebuilding LS7 heads to order, most offer an exchange program.
They send refurbished heads, you send back old ones after install minimizing downtime.
Requires a refundable $1K deposit.

Be thinking $1,500, more if better rockers/springs/guides are desired.
If paying for labor, $1K's the most often quoted cost.
An Internet search will produce many threads discussing heads et al, most links lead back here.

Can do anything w/ LS7, what's in your wallet?
Just do it right because a new LS7 is not an inexpensive venture if a goof-up causes it to frag. Its happened, just recently also.
I'm an old geezer, 505 is more than enough for me & tricky to use too. YMMV

Look for a garage queen, ideally single owner w/ complete maint history. They're out there. A GMVIS + Carfax & any other report should be carefully read. Avoid cars while under original B2B in for same complaint.

Latest MY w/ lowest miles is always preferred, so be prepared to pay a tad more for a clean well loved Z06.
Make sure tires are good, a new set can cost a couple Gs, while brakes aren't necessarily expensive for OEM stock, upgrades can cost plenty.
Rule of thumb: If it looks clean it's clean, if it looks beat it's beat.

Chosen colors are realistic, JSB rarest of the bunch.
I drive a JSB 2LZ '08. Nice color.

Driven a C6 Z06?
This model speaks for itself, precisely why I intend holding on to mine until I can no longer drive. It's that special.
thank you man! i litteraly just learned so much from this!!!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 AM
Carbdzn
Intermediate

i second that but, i think for the price i cant beat a c6 z06 just gotta get a diffrent set of heads and hopfully should be good!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Carbdzn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dhpeck
Go for it. Fix the heads and you have a bullet proof Z. If you really want a C7, or C7Z wait 2 years and the prices will plummet from where they are now. There are plenty of issues with the C7 also- failing auto transmissions, overheating in the Z etc etc i fact, every car will have issues
dream car is a C6Z and i will own one! just gotta figure the price on heads and a cam set up. (i also will get headers and such)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 AM
Carbdzn
Intermediate

Let me add, im coming from a 1988 l98 corvette! so i obviously want to get in to a faster car. (i know the same money i buy a C6Z i could put in to my C4) the c4 was my first car and i just want it to look nice and theres alot more after market parts for the ls7! rather have a factory fab car with the engine then struggling and putting a ls in the 88. either way, more power is in my future! thanks everyone who replied!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:43 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

dream car is a C6Z and i will own one! just gotta figure the price on heads and a cam set up. (i also will get headers and such)
Price is subjective in many, many ways depending on goals, and which vendor/kit of parts you want to use.

I highly recommend AHP...

Top tier heads: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ship-out.html

DIY Install kit for heads: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...asket-kit.html

If you want one of tehir cams, they also have a DIY install kit (including cam) as well... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594251827

LT's...lots of flavors out there, but LG and Kooks are popular, with ARH being widely considered as "the gold standard".

If you're looking at intake manifolds...(Mamo) ported MSD is the top performer on a SBE LS7, but be prepared to be "hands on" with fitment as well as routine inspections (leaks, loose hardware) on this thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a C6 Z06, but have a couple of QUESTIONS!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Looking for a C6 Z06, but have a couple of QUESTIONS!