Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:53 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
The RTV is from the previous work. Sounds like you can move forward w/o issue.
Silly question: So the black circles inside the orange gasket pictured is actually RTV? Meaning the black spots should actually be holes, not blocked by anything, correct? Just trying to get familiar as I hope to get to that point this or next weekend. Hoping to temps to climb a bit.

Originally Posted by Michael_D
The "best" method is to relace the pan gasket. But that's a big job. You'd need to support the engine and drop the cradle. I would lower the pan as far as possible, remove the RTV, carefully. Inspect the red gasket seal, and look for tears and deformed spots. If you do not see damage, don't replace the gasket. Clean the gasket and block the best you can. Get a cover alignment tool. Use it. Smear RTV on all four corners of the pan gasket. Install cover. Then tighten pan bolts after RTV has started to set, but before it fully sets.

Keep in mind that the pan seals all the pump ports. If it is damaged, you can have pan scavenge, tank suction, or pressure issues. Not just pan leaks.
Do you recommend the use of black RTV? You recommend taking out the pump by lowering the pan? Not to attempt to do it without lowering right?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Les-10
Thanks for your reply. Did you see the pic I added after your response?
Did you end up removing the steering rack completely out of the engine compartment?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigVette427
If you swap the cam I'd suggest you consider an 8620 core cam ground on a grinder that is designed for LS lobes. (ex. TSP, CamMotion, EPS). As for lifters, I love my Johnson 2110's that I went with in my build, a lot of happy folks with those lifters on the LSA's over in the Cadillac CTS-V forums.
Thank you BigVette427

CamMotion cams was suggested to me by another member and honestly its starting to catch my interest. So TSP (Texas Speed) and EPS use CamMotion to grind their cams or they use the 8620 cores?

I will be sure to look into the Johnson 2110's, most certainly don't want to perform this job again any time soon. It was totally unplanned for. Hate wrenching on cars in the winter lol. Would you mind sharing your setup? What valves, springs, pushrods and rockers are you using?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Thank you sir! What would be your recommendation if I were to stay with the SS exhaust valves that are currently on the heads?
I would advise against that. Our valvetrain dynamics testing has shown that the more aggressive camshaft lobes combined with the heavier solid stainless steel exhaust valves do not meet our requirements for valvetrain stability.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Thank you BigVette427

CamMotion cams was suggested to me by another member and honestly its starting to catch my interest. So TSP (Texas Speed) and EPS use CamMotion to grind their cams or they use the 8620 cores?

I will be sure to look into the Johnson 2110's, most certainly don't want to perform this job again any time soon. It was totally unplanned for. Hate wrenching on cars in the winter lol. Would you mind sharing your setup? What valves, springs, pushrods and rockers are you using?
TSP grinds their own cams inhouse. There is a form on CamMotion's website to request a custom grind. That's what I did and was happy with the experience. They will email you follow up questions and work with you to get the final numbers. My cam hasn't been installed yet, so I can only comment on my experience up until that point.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech
Safety Car

BTW, CamMotion recommended the 5150 cam core for my custom grind. If they would have recommended the extra $20-30 core, I'd have done it. Don't waste money. It adds up.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you end up removing the steering rack completely out of the engine compartment?
I unbolted and shifted the steering rack as far to the passenger side of engine compartment as possible (until gear head hits inner fender panel), easier said than done, but provides plenty of room.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

The "best" method is to relace the pan gasket. But that's a big job. You'd need to support the engine and drop the cradle. I would lower the pan as far as possible, remove the RTV, carefully. Inspect the red gasket seal, and look for tears and deformed spots. If you do not see damage, don't replace the gasket. Clean the gasket and block the best you can. Get a cover alignment tool. Use it. Smear RTV on all four corners of the pan gasket. Install cover. Then tighten pan bolts after RTV has started to set, but before it fully sets.

Keep in mind that the pan seals all the pump ports. If it is damaged, you can have pan scavenge, tank suction, or pressure issues. Not just pan leaks.
Which means I should not add excess RTV to orange gasket as it may prevent adequate compression against oil pump???
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Do you recommend the use of black RTV? You recommend taking out the pump by lowering the pan? Not to attempt to do it without lowering right?
I prefer black. I would lower the pan. Doesn't take much. Just enough to release the pan compressive forces on the pump.

Which means I should not add excess RTV to orange gasket as it may prevent adequate compression against oil pump???
Correct. The seal between the pump ports and the pan gasket should be uniform. I suspect that the previous installer added that RTV bead thinking it would prevent pan leaks and customer complaints. The gasket may have been damaged.
The following users liked this post:
Les-10 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

I prefer black. I would lower the pan. Doesn't take much. Just enough to release the pan compressive forces on the pump.

Correct. The seal between the pump ports and the pan gasket should be uniform. I suspect that the previous installer added that RTV bead thinking it would prevent pan leaks and customer complaints. The gasket may have been damaged.
I need a pic of a healthy pan gasket for comparison. None of pics the on the sale sites show a close enough view. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I need a pic of a healthy pan gasket for comparison. None of pics the on the sale sites show a close enough view. Any suggestions?
How about this one?

The following users liked this post:
Les-10 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
How about this one?

Your pic allows me to see that there is a channel in the gasket (mine is orange) as it crosses the front of the pan. I was afraid my RTV bead had created it. I may be okay.

Thank You!!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:26 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
BTW, CamMotion recommended the 5150 cam core for my custom grind. If they would have recommended the extra $20-30 core, I'd have done it. Don't waste money. It adds up.
The only reason not to go with an 8620 carburized Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum core is the extra $50 they charge for it. Whether or not the $50 is worth it to you for the peace of mind is up to you.

http://www.cammotion.com/camshaft-cores/

Thank you BigVette427

Cam Motion is supplying camshafts to both LME in Houston and on COPO 427 Camaro's. I liked TSP as they are local and I've personally toured their Landis CNC cam grinder. Cam Motion probably has more lobes to chose from for the LS7's 1.8:1 rocker arm ratio, but I'm extremely satisfied with my TSP cam.

PSI makes a lot of valve springs for top NASCAR teams (Hendricks) MS90 is overkill but hell, it's why I went into the car as I did in the first place, so piece of mind was worth the price to me. Kohle at AHP recommended the Johnson lifters as his personal preference and I was happy with the research that I did on them; (GM uses them in the COPO Camaros.) Really like the PB Race Series balancers, as well.

Last edited by BigVette427; 01-05-2018 at 04:27 PM.
                Old 01-05-2018, 04:37 PM
                Tech
                Safety Car

The only reason not to go with an 8620 carburized Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum core is the extra $50 they charge for it. Whether or not the $50 is worth it to you for the peace of mind is up to you.
                The OP should talk to CamMotion about it. Wasting $50 is wasting $50. I didn't skip it because I was worried about $50.
                Old 01-05-2018, 04:49 PM
                BigVette427
                Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

The OP should talk to CamMotion about it. Wasting $50 is wasting $50. I didn't skip it because I was worried about $50.
                Or... you can click on the link straight to Cam Motion's website and draw your own conclusions. Obviously, it's not compulsory, the GM camshaft is 5150, and it's not like anyone ever had one of those go bad.

8620 Carburized Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum Camshafts

Cam Motion's standard LS camshaft cores are our 8620 Carburized Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum steel alloy camshafts. Our 8620 camshafts are a superior alloy to the 5150 cams and these cores also endure a more involved oven hardening process. This hardening process creates more durable wear surfaces on the lobes while maintaining the desirable ductility characteristics of the the 8620 alloy. The final product is a camshaft that is stronger with a more durable wear surface. Our 8620 cams are a superior product that are used in Top Fuel Dragsters, Funny Cars, Pro-Stock and more. The 8620 camshafts are available for all LS applications except VVT equipped engines.
                Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 PM
                Tech
                Safety Car

Or... you can click on the link straight to Cam Motion's website and draw your own conclusions. Obviously, it's not compulsory, the GM camshaft is 5150, and it's not like anyone ever had one of those go bad.

Keep wasting your money if it makes you sleep better at night. I sleep better not wasting money. Good > Better > Best is a common marketing strategy.
                Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM
                Dan_the_C5_Man
                Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Take the improved surface treatment / hardness of components every time, it's a no-brainer "ounce-of-prevention" move..

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-05-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 PM
                Michael_D
                Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Unless it's a solid carbide core, post grind treatment is more important than alloy used......

Jones Cams uses a pretty trick grinder for his inverse rollers.
                Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 PM
                lebvette
                Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
                St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by rio95
                Maybe it's a good idea those Johnson lifters have gotten so popular. I think I'll be switching to some over the winter.
                Had a Crane lifter make noise for about a minute coming home from Eureka Springs last fall. It was time for a valve spring change, so I took it to the shop. The mechanics noticed the problem and pulled the lifters....one was bad, but had not hurt the cam. They installed Johnson lifters .....the motor noise is about 50% less than with the Crain lifters. I always thought that the engine was rather noisy, now it's sounds good.

Last edited by lebvette; 01-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.
                Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM
                big_mike_eu
                Instructor

Thanks Tech I'll most certainly will be giving CamMotion a call. I feel that I need to get their input on exhaust valves, springs etc as I am currently running the SS exhaust valves and it seems that they are not ideal for aggressive cam.

I unbolted and shifted the steering rack as far to the passenger side of engine compartment as possible (until gear head hits inner fender panel), easier said than done, but provides plenty of room.
                Thanks Les-10 Hopefully I will be doing the rack next weekend. Temps are slowing going up here.

Thank you Michael_D, this is very helpful. Any idea why Les-10's car has an orange gasket versus black?

Cam Motion is supplying camshafts to both LME in Houston and on COPO 427 Camaro's. I liked TSP as they are local and I've personally toured their Landis CNC cam grinder. Cam Motion probably has more lobes to chose from for the LS7's 1.8:1 rocker arm ratio, but I'm extremely satisfied with my TSP cam.

PSI makes a lot of valve springs for top NASCAR teams (Hendricks) MS90 is overkill but hell, it's why I went into the car as I did in the first place, so piece of mind was worth the price to me. Kohle at AHP recommended the Johnson lifters as his personal preference and I was happy with the research that I did on them; (GM uses them in the COPO Camaros.) Really like the PB Race Series balancers, as well.

Very nice set up Are the Ferrea F2042p valves hollow sodium filled like the stock or Katech exhaust valves? (Might need to replace valves for lighter ones, still debating...). Did you need to upgrade the oil pump to run the Johnson lifters? Any difference in oil pressure?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about what my options are before I start ordering stuff. I would really like to have the car ready for when the weather warms up

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam