Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:54 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 66
Well, I believe the new crate motor comes with a 3 year warranty. Gives me time to contemplate what's next...C7 or C8??

That would be surprising if new LS7s have still have head problems...GM should have fixed the vale guide issue I would think.
No, no and.. NO.. Carry on..
Old 02-10-2018, 03:29 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Crate motor with 3 yr warranty? Thought it was one year...
Old 02-15-2018, 11:10 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An update to my Jan 2nd post.

In short the engine is toast. Bad lifter in #4 cylinder...took out the cam. Metal fragments circulating in the oil. But the puzzler is rust in #4 cylinder. No sign of head gasket issues either. This process has proceeded very slowly as the warranty company went step-by-step as they were considering the extent of the damage before deciding to replace the engine.

Before anyone says maintenance issues or doing stupid things, Mobil 1 oil changed annually, always get oil temp up to >130 before anything at least spirited, and generally driven gently.

So, the extended warranty company is replacing the engine in total. I'll have to pay for some uncovered services, but I'm glad I got the extended warranty. And the new LS7 engine should have no valve guide issues...hopefully.

I'm looking forward to getting my Z back later this month.
Were you able to find out what caused the rust in the number 4 cylinder?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Update on my project. I've decided to go with AHP instead of Cam Motion. I spoke with Khole earlier this week. Really awesome guy, he really knows his stuff. Initial impression, A++. The changes in my setup will be AHP116 cam, with the AHP Package 4 + MoldStar90 guides and PSI 1511ML springs.

I will be assembling my heads this week and shipping them to AHP.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Update on my project. I've decided to go with AHP instead of Cam Motion. I spoke with Khole earlier this week. Really awesome guy, he really knows his stuff. Initial impression, A++. The changes in my setup will be AHP116 cam, with the AHP Package 4 + MoldStar90 guides and PSI 1511ML springs.

I will be assembling my heads this week and shipping them to AHP.
Ahhh, like minds I see. Yeah he's definitely got a reassuring phone presence on top of an impeccable reputation.

You get your old cam out yet? My cam retainer plate bolts were/are seized in. What a bummer!

Last edited by Les-10; 02-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Les-10
Ahhh, like minds I see. Yeah he's definitely got a reassuring phone presence on top of an impeccable reputation.

You get your old cam out yet? My cam retainer plate bolts were/are seized in. What a bummer!
Hahaha yes sir

Yup, I got it out several weeks ago. The only thing that gave me hard time was the rack and afterwards it was a little tricky lowering the pan just enough for the oil pump to slide out. I hope I don't get any leaks. The retainer plate bolts came off without a problem. Did you try to loosen them with a trox socket? (If memory serves me right, those are trox). Did you get work done to your car in the past? I wonder if someone over torqued them.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Hahaha yes sir

Yup, I got it out several weeks ago. The only thing that gave me hard time was the rack and afterwards it was a little tricky lowering the pan just enough for the oil pump to slide out. I hope I don't get any leaks. The retainer plate bolts came off without a problem. Did you try to loosen them with a trox socket? (If memory serves me right, those are trox). Did you get work done to your car in the past? I wonder if someone over torqued them.
Yeah torx bits, ratchets, impact motors & now drill bits & grinding burrs. Yeah I had my cam replaced in 2014. Hard to say what really happened. There's been reports of a few that have encountered similar deals. One possible theory is that the bolts (by designated part number) might be a hair too long. So be on the careful lookout. If you recall, I had moved my rack & all before you but then decided to do heads. I should have pulled the cam 2 months ago, just thought it'd be a breeze. Oh well ... .
Old 02-16-2018, 12:28 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

That is a bummer. Do you know if those bolts are reusable? I was thinking of reusing mine. I appreciate the heads up about some of them being a hair too long, you would think a QC department somewhere would catch that.

Yeah, I do remember that you were several steps ahead of me with the rack. Well you still are since AHP is probably already working on your order. I just found a box today, will be shipping my heads this weekend.

What's the game plan with those bolts? I'd be really scared to try to drill them out, but it sounds like that might be the only way.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a bummer. Do you know if those bolts are reusable? I was thinking of reusing mine. I appreciate the heads up about some of them being a hair too long, you would think a QC department somewhere would catch that.

Yeah, I do remember that you were several steps ahead of me with the rack. Well you still are since AHP is probably already working on your order. I just found a box today, will be shipping my heads this weekend.

What's the game plan with those bolts? I'd be really scared to try to drill them out, but it sounds like that might be the only way.

Yeah Kohle's had my heads a couple weeks now. Unfortunately I'm drilling & grinding bolts. Short of pulling the short block, it's the only game in town. Praying too! Never thought I'd be creating metal shavings & filings inside an assembled/operational engine.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Any idea what's the turnaround for the head work at AHP? I forgot to ask Khole last week. I shipped my heads on Saturday so he should be getting my heads sometime this week.

I'll be praying for you too my friend. Hopefully those bolts will budge and come out without any additional issues. Keep us posted on how that goes
Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

[QUOTE=big_mike_eu;1596624229]Any idea what's the turnaround for the head work at AHP? I forgot to ask Khole last week. I shipped my heads on Saturday so he should be getting my heads sometime this week.

They got my heads on 1/26 and they sent them back on 2/12. A total of 8 days shipping from and to Indiana via Fedex.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Thanks 1972bluelt1

That's a great turnaround. I really hope I get a similar timeline
Old 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Any idea what's the turnaround for the head work at AHP? I forgot to ask Khole last week. I shipped my heads on Saturday so he should be getting my heads sometime this week.

I'll be praying for you too my friend. Hopefully those bolts will budge and come out without any additional issues. Keep us posted on how that goes
I shipped mine via FedEx on 1/25 & AHP received them on 1/30. Jake gave me a turnaround estimate of 3 to 4 weeks. I'm sure it depends not only on Kohle's shop backlog but on what's being done. I'm getting the Pkg 4 with PM's & street porting.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine got PM guides, PSI springs and minimal surfacing. No porting.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

I'll be getting the MoldStar90 guides with their package 4 + PSI 1511ML springs and their 116 cam. My heads received port and polish job the first time around by WCCH. I'm curious what Khole thinks of their P&P job.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:40 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
No, no and.. NO.. Carry on..
Big Mike,

WRT post # 161: I got the car back today. The new engine installed was indeed a NEW LS7. It came with a 3 year, 100K mile warranty...I got the paperwork. I was told that the valve guide issue has been dealt with, but time will tell.

WRT post # 163, since this engine is not in regular production anymore, GM is not really interested in researching why the rust in cylinder # 4. But the dealer IS really interested and they are planning on trying to pin down the why on this.

Having driven the car home this afternoon, after having it at the dealer for almost a month (with an extended warranty it can take loner than usual), I was reminded how and why I love this car so much. But it does take almost inhuman restraint to go through the break-in procedure again. The car will go back to the dealer for its 500 mile oil change and a full inspection (the Tech has a lot of time on this car and wants to make sure everything is and stays ship-shape.

As an aside, since the car was apart, I had a new clutch/throw-out bearing, and water pump installed along with all the maintenance items covered at this time as they were due: change all the fluids and bleed the brakes.

Big Mike, I hope you have a really good experience and that you don't have to replace an engine. Thank God for the extended warranty, which I don't normally buy.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Big Mike,

WRT post # 161: I got the car back today. The new engine installed was indeed a NEW LS7. It came with a 3 year, 100K mile warranty...I got the paperwork. I was told that the valve guide issue has been dealt with, but time will tell.

WRT post # 163, since this engine is not in regular production anymore, GM is not really interested in researching why the rust in cylinder # 4. But the dealer IS really interested and they are planning on trying to pin down the why on this.

Having driven the car home this afternoon, after having it at the dealer for almost a month (with an extended warranty it can take loner than usual), I was reminded how and why I love this car so much. But it does take almost inhuman restraint to go through the break-in procedure again. The car will go back to the dealer for its 500 mile oil change and a full inspection (the Tech has a lot of time on this car and wants to make sure everything is and stays ship-shape.

As an aside, since the car was apart, I had a new clutch/throw-out bearing, and water pump installed along with all the maintenance items covered at this time as they were due: change all the fluids and bleed the brakes.

Big Mike, I hope you have a really good experience and that you don't have to replace an engine. Thank God for the extended warranty, which I don't normally buy.
Thank you so much for the update Lead Foot 66, I am really glad to hear that your Z is up and running. There's nothing better than warranty. Unfortunately when I purchased my car MY2008 it was already too late to get the extended warranty.

Please let me know if the dealer ever give you any additional information on the rust. It is a very weird thing to see.

Thank you for the wishes, I really hope that I don't have to replace the engine. That would really be a major set back in terms of finance. I am very hopeful that I stop the car on time (thank you CF) and did not create any additional damage. I guess first start or time will tell. Fingers crossed that I dodge that bullet

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam