Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6 Z06 engine changes year to year

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
If you never measured valve guide clearances, the most you can say is that you didn't experience an outright engine failure. Your initial statement doesn't hold water without that measurement being done. If you change it to "I've never had a valve/valve guide issue that I know of.", you would actually be making a truthful statement.
Actually, I didnt have any guide/valve issues. The cars ran flawlessly. By your logic, you could be having tranny/differential issues that you don't know about. You better take them out and dissemble them to make sure they are in tolerance. You may want to check on your piston rings while you're at it
The following users liked this post:
JSB Z16 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by UmCanesZ06
No, I never did. I didnt feel the need to. None of the cars ever had excessive valve train noise or burned any oil. I just drove them, enjoyed them and didn't stress about something that may or may not happen. Not every ls7 has an issue
Likely, if you owned 4 of them you always had warranty coverage and therefore would not have needed to stress unduly.

DH
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Likely, if you owned 4 of them you always had warranty coverage and therefore would not have needed to stress unduly.

DH
Only one was under warranty.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Luke-44
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 55 Posts

My apologies, I knew the topic has been well covered but somehow along the way I've read the matter was only related to certain model years. Clarification on that point was what I was hoping to get - and it appears I did have bad information - clearly I should assume it is all years. That alone is invaluable to me. The second point is I have never owned a 'Vette of any year (as a life long car nut I can't believe that myself). The post above saying to study more carefully the differences of a base car to the Z06 besides just motor is well taken, and also invaluable feedback for me. The Z06 is a special model even in a world filled with special models, that comes across loud and clear.

This all started when I fell in love with the 2014 C7 at the Watkins Glen vintage last fall. It was somehow seeing it close up that I got smacked with the wow factor of the later model cars for the first time, they are beautiful machines! So I started my research (so much to learn - so many 3 digit short form options, subtle changes year to year and so many special order models!). As I started to read about the newer 'Vettes I got slowly drawn to the C6 Z06 because of the motor, and then I read a Car and Driver road test where their car blew up, and it went from there.

So again, I've been reading nonstop on the topic but still I have found great value in these replies. It is also interesting to learn the mileage is not an issue, which I guess I kinda knew. Based on the feedback my leaning today is to get back on my original track, find a car/color and plan to get the heads done, best of both worlds. Thanks again to all who posted, invaluable.
The following users liked this post:
JSB Z16 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
First of all it is more like 9/10 or higher that you will be effected.

2nd, it is no more than a set of tires. Just fix it.
YES that’s correct. When GM TALKS about 1%, it really means there is a
1% chance that the factory heads will OK! Do u feel really really really
Lucky! That’s about the odds. Welcome to CF Luke! I can’t control everyone else, you can the questions over and over until u understand. Lol I’ve spelled it out pretty clear as well as others. The fricken LS7 is iconic Like no other engine!! It’s also a fricken beast and responds to mods. I grin just walking by my car!
Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Another person added to the block list.

Things like trannys/rings/etc aren't known to wear at an accelerated rate.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by UmCanesZ06
Actually, I didnt have any guide/valve issues. The cars ran flawlessly. By your logic, you could be having tranny/differential issues that you don't know about. You better take them out and dissemble them to make sure they are in tolerance. You may want to check on your piston rings while you're at it
Well, you're absolutely right- I could be having tranny/differential issues I don't know about. That's why I wouldn't say that I don't have those issues- unless I had checked to confirm it. So, all I can truthfully say is that I don't have those issues that I know of.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:14 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Les
Well, you're absolutely right- I could be having tranny/differential issues I don't know about. That's why I wouldn't say that I don't have those issues- unless I had checked to confirm it. So, all I can truthfully say is that I don't have those issues that I know of.
Fair enough
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
Another person added to the block list.

Things like trannys/rings/etc aren't known to wear at an accelerated rate.
The block list? You can't handle when someone has a different point of view or opinion as you? What an absolute baby you are.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 PM
Luke-44
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks all, invaluable. I sent a longer reply but it has to go through the mods?

Last edited by Luke-44; 03-27-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:03 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Agreed. It affects more than most are willing to realize.

While annoying, its simply not that big of a deal or expense to resolve it. If a couple of grand is a stretch for you to repair, this car can get real expensive for you if anything else starts to go bad. Do some research on what a clutch costs, tires, etc.
9/10 huh? Where is this data coming from?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
9/10 huh? Where is this data coming from?
Where did I say "9/10" Datroll? (still know who you are) GTFO...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 03-28-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 engine changes year to year