Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Removing heads and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:40 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

I did mine the PITA way and removed the pump bracket and left the reservoir attached. It is all straight forward. Just takes lots of patience and time and some cursing. Lol.. the older you are the more of a bitch it can be. If I had to do it a second time I could do the swap over 2 days now.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
I've always done as others have suggested here. There is one bolt that directly interferes with the PS pulley. However, there are only 3 bolts holding the PS pump to the bracket and they are fairly easy to remove. I wonder if removing those (3) 13mm bolts and leaving the PS pump's hydraulic line connected is enough to get better access to the last bracket bolt.
Jack-wagon warning!

I'll accept being the JW, but.......

The bolts you are referring to are 8mm, the head size is 13mm. The head size is not the indicator of the fastener size.

Mostly, but not always....

10mm head 6mm bolt
13mm head 8mm bolt
15mm head 10mm bolt

Then you have pitch which is fine or coarse threads. Then if you have a heavy duty nut or bolt this may impact wrench size again.

No offence intended, just trying to clarify terms.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike44665
Jack-wagon warning!

I'll accept being the JW, but.......

The bolts you are referring to are 8mm, the head size is 13mm. The head size is not the indicator of the fastener size.

Mostly, but not always....

10mm head 6mm bolt
13mm head 8mm bolt
15mm head 10mm bolt

Then you have pitch which is fine or coarse threads. Then if you have a heavy duty nut or bolt this may impact wrench size again.

No offence intended, just trying to clarify terms.
You got me being lazy by omitting the word "headed". How many times have you ever handed a buddy a 13mm wrench and asked him to remove the 8mm bolts?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Removing heads and have a question